“Outrageously overpriced”

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
Ranked #14 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Outrageously overpriced”
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

An amazing hotel. Funky. A great introduction was the warm welcome and the lack of a front desk. How much more welcoming is a person with a tablet device than a formidable large, dram barrier of the usual reception desks at hotels. The decor is also unusual, attractive and bright. My room was splendid, comfortable, well appointed. Breakfast was very good and varied and the restaurant produced very good food for a reasonable price, but he menu was uninteresting. The wines, however, we're a severe disappointment. A short wine list with a handful of overpriced and unremarkable European wines. Overall the dining experience was reminiscent of Britain in the 1970s (that's not a compliment!). Free wine and nibbles are available in the early evening, though again, the wine was not acceptable. After the first glass I had a beer from the bar instead. So a pleasant enough experience with some remarkable aspects, but when trying to extend my stay by a night I choked at 650 EUR and went elsewhere. That's an outrageous price and there are cheaper hotels offering similar comfort. And finally, the location is not ideal being not near a tram line and a 10 minute walk to the centre (15 to central station).

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dallas
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Out of five hotels over a two week vaction, this one was my favorite.

From the time we walked in every staff member was friendly, accomodating, knowledgable and attentive, making us feel welcome and comfortable with any and all request. I selected the hotel because of the interior and wanted to experience it. I was not disappointed. However, my husband did find it difficult to function at the vanity and we would have liked a towel warmer. Our request for a quiet room with garden view was accomodated. We were in the back house, #335.

Hotel is in a great location, making it easy to get around Amsterdam. Wifi was weak and I often did not have connectivity on my iphone and ipad. May have been the room location.

Beign a vegan diner it's often hard to find anything other than cold cereal on the breakfast buffet. Many hot items were offered and any special request. The chef made me vegan waffles, which I thoroughly enjoyed!

Took advantage of the free happy hour and sat in the bar and watched the Amsterdam life go by.

2 Thank Diana L
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Staying at the Andaz Amsterdam is certainly a different experience. But a good one!
The first thing you notice is that there is no actual front desk. Check in and check out is done on some high tables close to the main entrance with "ipadded" members of staff who quickly and efficiently deal with it in no time.
The rooms are also quite groovy, mine had no outside view but still quite pleasant.
The hotel is very pleasant, beautifully decorated and close to anywhere you might to be in Amsterdam.
The only down point, my taxi driver from the airport did not know the hotel or where it was on Prinsengracht and left me quite a way away...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have a very short but very sweet stay at the Andaz hotel in Amsterdam. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. The room was amazing, and so comfortable. There was plenty of room, all the amenities you could ask for and very clean. The hotel is in a great location. About a 25 minute walk from the station. Around the area there are some lovely restaurants and bars, and it is very close to the tram. I will definitely be back again to enjoy the hotel and all its offerings again soon.

1 Thank Laura P
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I can't think of another thing that would have made our stay at the Andaz Amsterdam better. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel is centrally located and we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Our friends, who were staying at other hotels, preferred the Andaz to their pricier choices. I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I am ever in Amsterdam again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is a great hotel with great staff. The room service was amazing as well. The location was also very close to my favourite coffee shop which was nice. My only complaint is that the bed was a bit hard for my liking.

I will for sure visit again on my next trip to Amsterdam. Thanks!

1 Thank Michael C
manchester
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We actually stayed here as a second choice because my first choice (sofitel the grand) also a top class hotel, was fully booked. but upon arrival we wasnt dissapointed. We was greeted by a member of staff at the door and shown to one of three small tables in the reception area. it was all open plan and the decor was really nice boutique like, as we had booked it via a agency on my mobile our reservation had not came threw yet. We were then given a complementary drink each (3 coronas) our choice, while they sorted it out. A young lady returned in 5 minutes with the booking confirmation however it was only 11 am and the room was not ready, she said we could use the spa until the room was available, however we was in amsterdam and it was a lovely day so we asked her to put our cases away so we could have a walk. She then explained how to get to dam square, rembrant square and the red light district and even had my friends shorts pressed for him.
when we returned we were given our room key straight away and went to our room which was across the courtyard and up the elevator, the rooms were very nice very clean and the decor was stylish it had a walk in shower open plan sink and mirror comfy beds and large flat screen tv. before we went out for the night we enjoyed a few drinks in the lobby bar which was nice. when we came in later about 3am you needed your key card to get threw the front doors which made you feel secure.
i will be returning to this hotel for sure.