“Far off from main tourist area...good value for money...cool property”

XO Hotels Park West
Ranked #65 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights. The hotel is close to tram station (walking 100m) and about 2 tram stations far from metro station. The area is in the 'modern part' of Amsterdam and hence not many touristy places around. Travelling to the main street (Amsterdam Centraal) entails changing tram lines, hence not recommended if you have a very short stay...takes 20-30mins approx to reach.

Now the positives... excellent property, welcoming staff and quick check-in and check-out. The room and bathroom were of great quality..all in all..excellent value for money!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nitinojujo
Write a ReviewReviews (4,021)

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My friend and I stayed in the Golden Tulip for 3 nights in November this year. I couldn't wait to get home and write a review on the brilliant service we had here. If you stay here you MUST try the dinner and breakfasts. Well worth the money, brilliant service and a huge amount of choice. The hotel staff were excellent - very polite and helpful. The rooms were spotless and it was a very quiet location. All in all I couldn't fault this hotel, would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to stay fairly central but in a good quality hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Heidi M
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed here for just 1 night.

Check-in: very quick & polite

Room: I booked a comfort room, and was pleasantly surprised with the room: large, modern, welcoming. 2 single beds pushed together, but as I was travelling alone this did not bother me.
Nice bathroom, loved the shower! Very clean bathroom :-) Also good coffee in the room (nespresso maker).

I did encounter an electricity problem.
I tried to switch on a big standing lamp by pushing the light switch. As a result, no more electricity in my room at all. Problem was that that light switch was on a cable that was cut through half way... a bit of a hazard in my humble opinion.
I called reception and literally within 3 minutes it was fixed and a technician came to check in the room if all was okay. So, well done. He did leave the faulty wire, which I found a bit odd.

Breakfast: large buffet, with plenty of good quality choice. I enjoyed it a lot, ate enough to keep me going all day! Not cheap at 15€ but worth it.

Location: Hmm... I travelled by car and the hotel is just off the highway, very easy to find! Payed 17€ for parking (parked for 25 hours, flat rate of 15€ per day then 2€ per every extra hour to max 15€). Upon leaving the hotel, you're on the highway in 2 minutes, very convenient!

Travelling to the centre is quite easy, depending on where you want to go: Dam, 2 trams, Leidseplein, 1 tram. It does take about 20 mins and a ticket costs 2,80€.
On the first night it was cold and raining which makes waiting for the tram after hours of walking a bit of a pain... The next day it was sunny, cold but beautiful and this seemed just a bit easier. In the cold winter days this is not the most convenient location but it was alright.

Staff: friendly & professional.
They dealt with the electricity problem very quickly.
I went down to complain about a group of very rowdy men partying in the room across mine and they took care of it.

Would I stay again? In spring/summer time, yes without hesitation. Cold winter days... not so sure, however if travelling by car again then yes without a doubt!

The hotel made my stay in Amsterdam even nicer :-)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Ndfeed
Hotel M, General Manager at XO Hotels Park West, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

We love reviews like this. Detailed, with accurate and helpful information, but also mentionning the things we could improve like the wire we left in the room. Thank you and we hope the weather stays good so we can welcome you again

Reviewed November 13, 2013

My experience in this hotel was very good. Started with a very easy check in and helpful staff. Was even more delighted when I was upgraded to a superior room which was spacious and very comfortable. The room came with quite a nice coffee/tea maker, iron and ironing table.
Their breakfast and dinner spread is phenomenal - be prepared for a feast!
Its very conveniently located - 10 min walking distance to the Sloterdijkstation and hardly 5 min walk from the tram stop which can connect you to Museumplein.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SDK20
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I took a city break in Amsterdam recently, Staying at the Golden Tulip Amsterdam west. Date of stay November 2013.

We arrived at the Hotel around 2pm after a 10am flight from Leeds bradford with KLM, we took a direct train from Schiphol airport to sloterdijk station (Journey time 10 minutes), from Sloterdijk station you can walk to the hotel in around 15 minutes or catch tram 2 towards Amstelstation but leave the tram at Haarlemmerweg which is the 2nd stop on the Tram after it departs from Sloterdijk. It's roughly a 5 minute tram ride. The tram stop (Haarlemmerweg) is just across the road from the hotel.

Tickets for the Tram can be bought from ticket machines at Sloterdijk station or on board the tram. I would advise buying them from the ticket machine's at they offer more ticket choices (for example, you can't buy 3 day tickets on board the trams, whereas you can at the ticket machines. Remember to hold your ticket in front of the card reader when entering / exiting the trams. Tip: Leave you ticket in your wallet and just hold your wallet up against the reader (The machine can detect your ticket, even when it's in your wallet) as it saves you time.

Don't be put off by the exterior of the Golden tulip hotel, as inside it's modern, clean and contemporary; just like any modern city centre hotel.

When we arrived at the Golden tulip a polite English speaking receptionist checked us into our room and issued us with our key cards, Our room was on the 2nd floor. We booked a Standard Twin room for 3 nights, with Breakfast included.

The Hotel lifts are very modern, well lit, with nice marble flooring!

We were very impressed with our room. Why.....It had Fantastic beds, a massive headboard, lots of pillows, modern decor, A Nespresso coffee making machine that was free to use, with coffee pods and mugs provided, Flat screen TV on wall (With good choice of english channels), Complimentary toiletries, a FREE safe (Fantastic), Air conditioning, Mini bar (Fee's applied), Iron and ironing board and fantastic modern washroom with a walk in rain shower!

Each night we slept really well, with zero external and internal noise. Bed's were very comfortable too.

Breakfast is served buffet style; and the choice is fantastic.
I'd suggest you walk around the buffet first to see what they is; as the breakfast room and buffet are massive! At Breakfast you could choose from a continental style to fully cooked breakfast. The presentation of Breakfast was excellent!

The Golden tulip also has Wifi (worked fine), A Restaurant and a bar located on the ground floor, along with a 24 hour reception. Our room was serviced daily by maids, they would make bed's and changed towels (if needed) So after a day exploring Amsterdam we always returned to a clean room.

The Golden Tulip is Located in Sloterdijk about 3 miles from central Amsterdam. However getting to the centre is easy enough! You can either catch the Tram 12 from Haarlemmerweg towards Amstelstation but leave the tram at the Adm.de ruijerweg, then wait at the stop you exited the tram at, and wait for tram 13 towards central station, then get off at Dam (Dam square) or central station for central Amsterdam. This takes around 25 minutes, However it was the most economical way, as we had 3 day tram passes.
A quicker way of reaching the centre would be to take a train from Sloterdijk station to Amsterdam central (Journey time 9 minutes) However this would mean using the national rail network that are tram passes cannot be used on (Meaning we would need to pay for a ticket) However, Dutch trains are cheap and very efficient, we used them when Travelling to and from Schiphol airport.

I would recommend the Golden tulip as it's clean, Super modern, Great Facilities, Great rooms, Great Breakfast and Great staff! and only a short commute to Amsterdam centre.

I booked this hotel via Travelrepublic and paid £250 (Total cost) for 3 nights, breakfast included for 2 adults in a standard twin room.

Room Tip: Best tip for this hotel is buy a tram pass that cover's the duration of your say, so yuo can rea...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jon365athen
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

I was appalled when we arrived at how rude the woman on reception was when checking in. We them phoned to request a double bed rather than two singles and she hung up on my girl friend. I then phoned back and she was rude to me and hung up. Then at the bar I ordered one gin and tonic. Then after he poured a requested another one and he said Jesus Christ and was off with me. Terrible customer service

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard M
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We werent supposed to be staying at this hotel but were transferred here after a technical error, and I am so pleased we were. The facilities were amazing, the room was perfect and came with a coffee machine and tea and coffee! The breakfast was incredible as was the buffet dinner! I would recommend this to anyone staying in Amsterdam!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple