“no facilities for snacks in the evening”

Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West
Ranked #62 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel is modern and clean, the standard double rooms are adequate but couldn't be described as spacious. In the room is a modern shower and wash area, the bed comfortable and there is a coffee making machine. The room does have the usual mini bar for those who wish to to use it, and a very convenient safe.
Getting to the hotel is easy, just a two stop tram ride from sloterdijk rail station on the number 13.
Getting into town is OK, but a bit trickier. You need to take the 13 and then the 12 which goes to Dam square and the Centraal station area.
I can only find a few things that need imporvement at this hotel, that is that there isnt a way to have snacks on return from evening out apart from food in your room at extra charge or a mini bar at .
Food places arround the hotel are also poor

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve P
There are newer reviews for Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Couldn't fault the hotel or the rooms in any way. Room was modern and spacious and included a flat screen tv, fast WIFI, nespresso machine with free refills and a large bathroom. Hotel and its surroundings were neat and clean and parking is available on site or right beside the hotel. Prices at the bar/lounge were also not too expensive, hot chocolate €3, spirits €5, beer €3.50.

However to get to and from the city centre you must take the train, which is close by but costs €2.80 each way per person which builds up when travelling with family. The train also doesn't stop directly in town so a lot of walking must be done & the last departure time is at 9 so to see Amsterdam at night you must get a taxi or drive closer to town and walk to your destination which isn't very convenient. If you have walking difficulties or very young children this hotel would not be suitable due to the amount of walking involved.

Also since the hotel is situated right beside a busy main road, depending which room and at what side of the hotel you are allocated it can be noisy with boy racers / ambulances etc.

If the walking does not bother you and/or you have bicycles as a method of transportation then this hotel would be perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maria B
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked a twin and a double room at the Golden Tulip Amsterdam West and they were superb overall. They were both on the 6th floor, the twin room was very spacious and the double was average sized. The bathrooms were clean and big. Room amenities included a flat screen TV, a Nespresso machine (with free refills), a safety box and an ironing board amongst other things.

The hotel staff were very nice and helpful, always smiling and welcoming. They helped us navigate to the city center via the tram system (10-15 mins max). They offered us an informative map of Amsterdam which showed the hotel location and all the transportation available to and from the hotel.

Parking was available and costed 15 euros per day (which had to be paid in full at the beginning of the stay to gain daily access to the underground parking garage). The parking garage is not very big, it was full once but we contacted the front desk and they provided us with other space in the garage.

Overall, our stay was noteworthy and I'd definitely come back to the Golden Tulip and will recommend it to all my friends and family who plan to visit Amsterdam.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Q80BOY
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Check - In: I arrived early to the hotel (about 11.30?) and requested to check in, and I was told I would have to wait until there were no guests checking out, as they had priority over guests checking in. It took about 15 minutes before I was able to check in. I was very tired after an early flight, so it took all my patience to keep calm. The receptionist was very polite however and actually upgraded me to a larger room, which had a view out over the busy traffic junction, but this proved to be no problem at all, my sleep wasn't at all disturbed.

I stayed for four nights. The distance from town didn't seem too difficult in the beginning, but I can see how it could be an issue for longer stays or for people with children. However, for the standard of the hotel, the cost of accommodation was reasonable. One can expect to pay more for hotels nearer the centre.It takes two trams to get into town, the 12, which is but a two minute walk from the hotel, followed by a 14, and the time to get to town central can vary depending on how lucky one is with timing.

I don't have any experience of mosquitos where I come from, but I think there was one in my room one night. I couldn't sleep of course with the thought of my blood being sipped while I snoozed. I would have killed it myself, but I couldn't see it, as the lighting in the rooms is quite poor. I rang reception to ask would they have a spray or something, and the guy who answered seemed helpful , saying he would look into it. A half hour passed and nobody had called back. I watched TV and while doing so the offending insect passed me by and I managed to kill it. I rang reception and told the guy (a different person that everything was okay now, but he hadn't a clue what I was talking about, and was quite impatient, I felt. Overall it was a relatively minor issue, but I didn't feel like my custom was important as a result, and that's not good.

Breakfast: At €15 I Initially thought the breakfast was overpriced, but on reflection it's quite good value. You can have as much as you like and you wouldn't be hungry again until the evening. The coffee is lovely too and there is plenty of everything. One could easily spend the bulk of €15 for breakfast in town and not be half as satisfied.

Hotel Bar: Personally, I felt the hotel bar lacked atmosphere. It was very brightly lit and because of its close proximity to the hotel reception could be quite noisy too with people checking in and so on. However one always has the option of heading into town where there are plenty of bars to choose from.

Overall, it's a very good hotel if you don't mind being a bit far from town. On the plus side though, the nearest train station, which will bring you direct to Schipol Airport in 2 stops is just 1 tram ride or a ten minute walk away. Also, the hotel is located away from the hustle and bustle of town if that bothers you. The food is very good, but some may find it a bit pricey and overall the staff are very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Matrix68
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have just returned from a 3 night stay in this hotel and all I can say is this is a wonderful hotel with the most accommodating staff I have ever come across. From the moment we walked in the front door the service in this hotel is second to none. We had requested a family room and some houses are not as big. A large double bed two singles and a sitting room in the middle. Spotlessly clean ample storage and a fabolous bathroom . The restaurant serves breakfast in the morning and it is buffet style.. There is no way you could not be happy with this and a chef on hand to cook your eggs and the evening meal is the best I have ever had. Once again a buffet but not your usual buffet. Staff on hand at all times to clear and the array of hot food unbelievable and once again chefs on hand to cook your meat, fish,wok dishes and pizza unbelievable value at e25 per person and e15 for a child. Desserts to die for and a chocolate fountain as well. The tram is just across the bridge to take you anywhere in amsterdam. Brilliant hotel ideal location and best staff ever. Can not wait to return. Thank you all.

Room Tip: Room 703 ideal for family. Big comfy plenty of space and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Vjofahy
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My Macbook Pro notebook and iPad 2 were stolen in this hotel during the day (while my girlfriend and I were visiting the city). It was clear that only the cleaning team accessed the room (as the print out of the electronic lock of our room showed us). We filed a complaint with the police, we contacted the hotel but they wouldn't acknowledge that our belogings were in fact stolen.

They were very unfriendly, the hotel manager was not willing to pay any compensation whatsoever so we are now filing a civil litigation in order to hold the hotel liable for the theft by their staff.

I can only advise you NOT to book in this hotel..!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank wouter1988
Hotel M, General Manager at Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear "Wouter1988", please contact me on my email, janine@goldentulipamsterdamwest.com. I am the manager of the hotel. I can look into the most unfortunate incident and maybe get some more details of you, like name, roomnumber and the police report. Thank you.

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I am a seasoned traveller to Amsterdam this is my 8th trip and I have learned a few tips along the way. I used to pay over the odds to stay in central AMS which is still noisy if you are anywhere near a tram route. I now choose hotels slightly outside the centre to save costs. Golden Tulip is somewhere I chose from tripadvisor review and cost.

The location is Sloterdijk you can get a train to Sloterdijk in under 15 mins from Schiphol for €3.50 then the 12 tram or an 8 min walk will get you to the hotel we found it fairly easily. The hotel looks a bit grim from the outside very soviet looking but this belies what's inside. It's clean with boutique style rooms tea and coffee facilities. Everything looks new the bathroom had the big rain shower and was spotless.

The 12 tram is 2 mins walk and takes you right close to museums and Leidesplein in 10 -15 mins. The restaurant DREAM is very chic food looked lovely but we felt it expensive at €24 a head when you can get all the three course tourist meals in Town for €15 and a free drink! same goes for continental breakfast it's €7.50 for bog standard continental and if you walk for 5 mins along tram route there are loads of cafes that will do more choice for less.

Staff are very helpful and the bar is airy and modern and reasonably priced €3.75 for glass of wine. Good nights sleep and considering we were on the front which faces a main tram route surprisingly quiet. Rooms have air con as well which is a plus in the heat wave!

If your coming July August book Internet for Ann frank or museums it saves queueing or do what we did go late afternoon as some attractions stay open till ten. This hotel is great base with excellent facilities and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013