“Very nice stay”

Grand Hotel Downtown
Ranked #125 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for a few days, took a standard room and had a very good stay. Good location - it's not really in the city center but not too far either, you can go by walking or taking the tramway. Really clean and good service.
The only downside was the noise coming from the room next to us (ground floor).
I would recommend it!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank marionberryFR
Inge M, Manager at Grand Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Thank you for writing a review. Good to hear you have had a nice stay with us. We would love to welcome you back when visiting Amsterdam again!

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Downtown

Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. Staff was friendly and all the time helpful. Rooms were really good aswell as the bathrooms and we would definitely come back again. And great with the private parking! Thank you so much!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Inge M, Manager at Grand Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Thank you for your amazing review! I have forwarded your compliments to the entire staff and they were really happy to hear. We would love to welcome you back!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

My Husband and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Downtown on business Sunday to Tuesday. We travel to Holland at least twice a year on business. The hotel is in a great location just 15 minutes walk away from the main Leidsplein and main attractions including the Vondelpark. There are lovely bars, restaurants and shops nearby and the nearest tram spot is about a 2 minute walk. There is a great restuarant next door (on the otherside of the courtyard) to the hotel with a superb menu, something for everyone, which is very reasonably priced. If you want fancy/expensive go for a short walk down the street opposite the hotel and there are some typical Dutch restaurants which are just divine.

We stayed in a Penthouse with roof top terrace. The room we found to be spacious and modern and the beds extremely comfortable. The roof top terrace was fantastic and great to sit out on a recliner with a glass of wine after travelling (there is a fridge in the room so you can buy bits and store them).

The downside to the room was the cleanliness. It had not been cleaned properly, the floor was white laminate and was very grubby, with bits of hair and stains on it. It was very clear it hadn't been hoovered and mopped in a while, in addition there was a large table in our room which was very dusty and clearly not been polished in ages. The headboard too had a thick layer of dust along it. These are basics in my opinion which should be sparkling for each guest on arrival. The cleaning team are clearly cutting corners or can't be bothered.

However the bedding was clean and the bathroom too but as mentioned in previous posts all of the bathroom towels including the bathrobes were like rags, holes in everyone and theres just no need for it. A big let down for a hotel thats supposed to have 4 stars.

I brought the cleanliness issues up very politely with Reception however despite Reception leaving a note to the cleaner we still came back to a dirty floor and dusty table top on both evenings. Which is a shame as it doesn't take much to get a mop and bucket out and a quick blitz round with a duster. That said I mark this hotel as average.

Would I stay again? Maybe on the provision the cleanliness issues were addressed and we were guaranteed a clean room.

Room Tip: Penthouse for space and terrace.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank sus1002013
Inge M, Manager at Grand Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thank you for taking time to write a review and feedback. We really appreciate this as it helps us to keep on improving our service towards our guests.

We are happy to read you liked your stay with us and liked your private terrace. We are sorry to hear this feedback about the cleanliness. I would like to inform you that we have discussed your feedback with the housekeeping and we will do our own check ups as well.

Looking forward to welcome you back and provide you a clean room!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed at the grand hotel down town for a weekend and I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel is located not right in the center of everything but not to far away either, the neighbourhood is super nice and has a lot of great places to eat and hang out at. I think this might be one of the nicest neighbourhoods to stay in in Amsterdam since it is not to crowded and also has like a really nice atmosphere, I really enjoyed walking around and sitting down at a nice cafe.
The rooms are also clean and comfortable, not that any time is needed spending there for other than sleeping. The service was very nice and helpful if we had any questions. I would definitely stay here again if ever back in Amsterdam!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anna G

Thank you for this amazing review! Great to know you have had a great stay with us. We would love to welcome you back when visiting Amsterdam again!

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, great price and easy to get to from the airport. The staff were lovely as well. It is a 15 minute journey by tram to dam centraal, but the trams don't run all night so you may need to take a cab/taxi. Nice and quiet area but be careful not to walk past the hotel as there isn't a distinctive sign outside.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Jprodavnica89

Thank you for your review. We are happy to know you have had a great stay with us. We would love to welcome you back when visiting Amsterdam again!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

The hotel is convienently located. 15min by foot and 5min by tram you can reach the city centre and the Museums Plein.

The rooms are clean. The service and customer care is outstanding.

There are bars, small restaurants and supermarkets close to the hotel.

The parking fee is with 25Eur/night a bit too expensive for my taste.

Room Tip: The rooms are all located on ground floor. So be sure you close the curtain ;-)
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cerote1001
Inge M, Manager at Grand Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are happy to know you have had a great stay at Grand Hotel Downtown. Because the parkingspots we use are from the city of Amsterdam we have to charge €25.00 a night, but we will contact the city of Amsterdam to discuss this. We would love to welcome you back when visiting Amsterdam!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

So many things went wrong even before we arrive at the hotel. Firstly, we booked the room direct on their website as it states that there will be a 5% discount & a welcome souvenir when you book directly with them. We booked early about a month in advance at EU120 per night (advance purchase & no cancellation allowed offer - thinking to save more) but closer to my arrival date, I saw that the price became so much cheaper at EU76 per night for my room. They were selling the Penthouse at what I paid for - so I wrote to them complaining why are Early Bookers being penalised and asked for an upgrade to get the correct room at what I paid for. They refused and told me I have to top up EU45 for the upgrade when it is selling onliine at that moment only at EU128. Rather ridiculous!
- Worse was when I arrived a day earlier (I had only prepaid for 2 nights) so my earlier 3rd night was not booked/paid yet - they wanted to charge me EU100 per night for the same room but why should I pay more when they were selling the 2nd category Deluxe Room online CHEAPER at EU80 per night??? The blonde front desk girl told us "I can't see what rates it is selling at right now - I wouldn't know" - rather unprofessional and superbly silly thing to say. So we just loaded the page on booking.com on OUR mobile and showed them the price and told them "There we want this room". Luckily, there was a man (might be the manager) who was nearby came over and gave us the room at the online price we showed & had to teach her what to do/click.
- So that really got us annoyed already at the hotel management who does not reward customers who book direct on their site, and further wanting to charge us more instead. Really terrible customer service!

On our first night so many things went wrong:
1) I found there was a hole in my bed sheet in between the 2 pillows (shocking that housekeeping still did not bother to replace it when they changed the sheets)
2) I found floating bits in my cup of boiled water and realised it came from their kettle, which was very dirty, contaminated with gross bits in the kettle (shocking that they don't clean or check their kettles/cups) - their kettle spouts are all rusty as well - rather unhygienic!
3) Stains on one of their bathrobes (I forgot to take a photo of this)
- the photos were taken at night with my mobile so apologies if they are not too clear. They should really replace the kettles with clean & non-rusting ones.

No matter, the next day whenever we leave the hotel to go out for the day in the morning, we are always met with the blonde front desk girl who does not smile or greet you and gives you a rather cold & unwelcoming vibe (I don't know why she is in hospitality). You feel like you are invading her space and bothering her with your queries. However, I have to give credit to one of their staff who works in the evening called Shima, who was a delight and warm and helpful whenever we see her at the desk in the evenings (she was their best front desk staff) - thank goodness for her.

The rooms on the ground floor windows face a back courtyard to some school behind I think - the public can walk and look into your room if you don't draw the curtains & they can easily break the window to break into your room - so not much privacy for rooms on the ground floor.
At the price we paid, you can get a more central hotel closer to the Ledseplein tram stops (less of a walk than the hotel) and nicer. citizenM in Museumplen will be a better choice in this case with no conning you of prices & less issues with rooms, where you won't feel cheated & will get what you really paid for or more.

Room Tip: Don't get the ground floor rooms that have windows facing the courtyard/back road if you want pr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hotelfan88

Thank you for writing the review. I am really sorry to hear that we could not exceed your expectations.

Our staff is trained to approach our guests in a friendly and welcoming way. As you can see in other reviews we receive lots of compliments about our staff so I am really shocked about this review. I have discussed this with the entire team and attended them that the service is really important. It is absolutely not our intention to give our guests an uncomfortable feeling so we definitely will pay extra attention and training.

I would also like to inform you that we have cleaned all our kettles, and ask the housekeeping to have a look at this, as well as the sheets. When having any problems please call the reception so we can provide you with new sheets or help you to solve the problem.

I understood from the email correspondence that you requested a free upgrade to compensate the rate difference. However, we work with a revenue management which means that our rates are fluctuating depending on availability, events etc. Therefore we offer non-refundable rates and free cancellation rates, so our guests could choose between a discount or the possibility to cancel free of charge until 48 ours upon arrival. You'd booked a non-refundable rate so were not able to cancel free of charge and received a discount. As you may understand we can not give free upgrade based on these offers.

You are more than welcome to contact us to tell us more about your experience.