“So and so”

Ranked #132 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Chaumont-Gistoux, Belgium
“So and so”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I arrived in Amsterdam, following my gps, the last 7 km took ... 75 minutes starting 15.30h, outside of peakhours ...
When I arrived in the steet I haven't found the hotel, no sign at all to be seen, really incredible, stopped in a fastfood restaurant and they expalined me that it was just on the other side of the road, impossible to guess !
Then I wanted to go in the parking, impossible, you had to go first to the reception and register, in one of these streets where you have no parking space.
Finally made it, you have to reserv in advance, then you get a card for entrance of the parking, but you have also to pay Eur 20 in cash as a guaranty, never had that before.

The rooms are ok and clean, nice bed.
But very noisy, you hear everything from the corridor, no noise insulation, not acceptable.

Next morning I had to leave early, left round 7 am, again you have first to drive out of the parking, put your car wherever you can, bring back the card to the reception and then you get your
Eur 20 back ....
Very complicated. Not practical at all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank clementineWavre
Yasin Y, General Manager at Grand Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback. We really apreciate that. I understand that you had a difficulty with finding the hotel. The hotel is in a building with different facilities. Next week there will be a big sign in front of the hotel which you are able to see from the road and it makes it easy to find the hotel. In case of the parking, this is the best way for us to do it. The parking garage is part of a public parking and we have reserved a number of parking places for our guests. To guarantee the parking places we provide parking cards and ask a deposit and therefor the guests need to register at the front desk before you drive into the garage. We have to activate the card to access. This is all because the parking place is public and used by different companies. We will take this into account and try to improve this situation. I am really sorry to hear you heard all the noises from the corridor. That is offcourse not acceptable and you are here for a good night sleep. We are going to solve this problem as soon as possible and made an appointment with a company which is expert in noise reduction. Despite the unpleasant situations I would really love to welcome you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Quite nice room, with an impressive terrace on the town sightseeing. Position central enough to reach everything by foot. Eventually tram stop is nearby. Service and courtesy of the staff. No complain (maybe pay per view missing is a minus).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

uk
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We drove straight to hotel bit hard to find but got there in the end! They do have parking which is 25e per night but I would reccomend parking here as it is right next door to hotel, the receptionists were great and very helpful and really nice to our children! The family room was good and lots of space and we did have tea and coffee facilities too! Lots of restaurants nearby too about 10 minutes walk away but receptionist was v helpful showing us the areas to go etc... Very happy with this hotel and breakfast great too .... Thank you grand hotel

Room Tip: We had family room 130 very quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank geribeliever
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights and found the room clean and well appointed. Furnishings were all good quality and bed linen was very comfortable. We stayed in a small double room for the affordability. Although small, the layout was good and the high ceilings meant that we did not feel claustrophobic at all. Although not in the main city area, this hotel is conveniently located for the no. 1 tram service and we did not have any trouble getting to the places we were visiting.
The day time receptionists are great and seem to have good knowledge of attractions and directions. However, when we first checked in, it was late and the night receptionist was polite but did not know anything about the local attractions at all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nobodypq
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

AVOID THIS HOTEL LIKE THE PLAGUE, TERRIBLE SERVICE, WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND THEN DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING REGARDING YOU!!!!!!
My husband and I arrived at this hotel last week for our honey moon, before arrival i emailed them three times to confirm we would be recieving the honeymoon suite, we were emailed back saying it wouldnt be a problem and its all booked for us. We get to the hotel and they have no idea what i was talking about, i show them the email and they deny it. We get to the room, it was MUCH smaller then pictures online. The shower was dirty, the toilet seat broken, the lamp by my bed broken without a lamp shade and the air conditioning unit was extremely loud. We went to the receptionist to explain and she told us she was the only staff at the hotel and she couldnt help us with anything. I asked her to call a manager which she refused to do until i was close to tears and the manager said he cant do anything except offer us another room but wed have to pay a extra 50 per night!!!!! I was in shock!!!!!! She was rude and horrible!!!!! The hotel is tiny, all floors are bottom floor so not very good rooms and the internet was broken the last 2 days we were there.
In my opinion stay away from this hotel!
They will really grate on your nerves and ruin your holiday!!!
I really hope this review ensures people dont experience the same nightmare i had!!!!
Good Luck Travellers :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rachel5292
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed July 29, 2013

It's been difficult to find a hotel in Amsterdam that is not only reasonable but is also conveniently located with decent room sizes. For the Downtown Hotel (forget the Grand as it neither deserves the 4-Star it claims nor the 'Grand' status as it lacks not only superior decoration nor amenities such as pool or gym) it's reasonably priced (garage costs €25/day extra) and somewhat clean when I compare it to other Hotels I have stayed in Amsterdam. The service was friendly, the location is ok if you don't mind a bit of walking (c. 10 min to Leidesplein and c. 15 min to the Rijksmuseum) and the hotel and room I stayed in are plain and functional. So don't expect a 'grand' set up and expect a 3-Star quality. Very disappointing was clearly the room which I expected to be large considering that I booked a Penthouse "Suite" which I expected to live up to the word 'Suite' but it was at best a Deluxe Room on the top floor of the hotel (wonder how they have taken the hotel pictures of the room as the angle is impossible) and the terrace had to be shared with 3 other Penthouse 'Suites' with no chairs or tables provided.

We stayed for 3N and the bed sheets were not changed during the stay. The cleanliness was superficial and appeared to be done in a rush (for 3N the bathrobe was messed together in the towel rack and replacement towels were just stacked on top). If you looked closely under the bed and on the bathroom floor you know that the room was only superficially wiped. But hey, its not a 4+ Star Hotel so we don't want to be too picky.

Overall, I still think that the hotel is fine if you don't expect high standards and don't mind a bit of walking to get to the main attractions.

Room Tip: Since even the Penthouse Room was fairly small I can assume that the Large Penthouse Room has a dece...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple