“Don't go there; not worth any Michelin star!”
Review of &samhoud Places Streetfood - CLOSED

&samhoud Places Streetfood
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: Welcome to the gastronomical world of Moshik Roth. At &samhoud places streetfood we would like to take you on a journey past markets and streets all over the world. We are a casual and down to earth place for lunch, dinner and drinks. Please note that we host two concepts in one building: &samhoud places streetfood and the Michelin awarded &samhoud places restaurant.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We went there to try this new restaurant. The chef, Moshik Roth, has a great reputation and had 2 Michelin starts previously. It had different reviews in the local press, mostly good, but also some less good, especially concerning the service.

It's exactly the service where everything went wrong the night we were there!
The people were not attentive and hautain towards certain people, including us. They neglected us, didn't asked once if everything was okay. The maitre D' finally asked when we were leaving and waiting for our coats (nobody came to help to find them btw). We told him the truth and how disappointed we were. His reaction was inadequate also. (a weak apology and eyes that told us that he was not convinced we were 'qualified' to have an opion at all.)

We had a five course menu, including salmon. The salmon of my compagnon smelled a little strange, but she ate it anyway. She become sick from food poison the same night.
The next day we called the restaurant to make them aware of what happend and the chef told us that the salmon was not bad and that my compagnon was probably allergic to the many (and unusual) herbs they used, (those herbs were great btw). He also asked if we consulted a doctor to make sure if it was realy food poisening. I told the chef that my compagnon was a doctor herself, but he insisted that it must be the herbs....discussion closed and no further action taken.

Very disappointing the way they handeled this situation, but in my opinion this perfectly fitted into their arrogant style to deal with things.

The rest of the menu was good btw, including some great amuses. The pigeon was amazingly good even!
The cheese platter was a great disappointment though. Tiny platter, with nothing special on it for €20, and coffee was not served, as they 'forgot' to ask if we wanted some.

All in all it was the worst (Michelin star level) dining experience i ever had. So foodies....find some other restaurant in Amsterdam, There are plenty that are a lot better and offer far more value for money!

4  Thank NobRotterdam

Reviewed May 17, 2013

This pretty new Amsterdam hotspot is worth visiting because it is a 2 Michelin Star restaurant which offers a unique food experience. Especially the lamb with 50 ingredients is a taste bomb.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

The interior decor and ambiance of &Samhoud Places is so completely out of sync with a Michelin star dining experience that at first I thought I'd stepped into the bar of a mid-range business chain hotel. Whatever look the owner was going for, it didn't work.

I waited at the bar for the rest of my party to appear. It took 15 minutes for my gin and tonic to arrive - there were five other people in the bar area at the time, not exactly busy, so I could not understand why it took so long to put a sliver of cucumber and some liquid in a glass.

We hung around for 40 minutes waiting for someone to tell us that our table was ready...eventually I had to ask the girl on the front desk if we could go upstairs to our table when we realised it was already 21:00 (our party was complete at 20:30).

We took the 6 course vegetarian option. The food itself was very good, very well prepared and exquisitely presented (loved the china and the crystal glasses). I thought there were too many dishes containing 'foam of xyz' (I think three of the six dishes had some sort of foam on it) which, my foodie friend pointed out, is already a bit 'last year'.

The vegetarian option can also be delivered fully vegan - it's not very often you are able to enjoy food like this without animal products which is a plus point for the restaurant.

The bread we were given was hard and had obviously been hanging around for a while. At this level of dining, every customer should expect and receive freshly baked bread.

I found the service to be disjointed and clunky, with several different staff coming to our table. Some staff seemed quite uncomfortable in their roles and not really trained to the standard you'd expect.

All in all, I expected more from a restaurant run by a chef with two Michelin stars under his belt and I felt that the very high price we paid was not reflective of the experience we had. He's got the food right (apart from the foam) but he seriously needs to work on the restaurant's atmosphere and the service level to bring it up to standard with the other top restaurants in the city...or the prices need to drop significantly to compensate for the things that are lacking.

2  Thank kleintje78
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Once you've overcome the difficulty in pronouncing and/or spelling the name of the restaurant (i.e., with or without the ampersand and spaces) and then finding it in a newly developed waterfront location, it gets more interesting. The chef, Moshik, is amongst the most highly regarded in Holland with a rare Michelin two-star reputation. The decor is contemporary but not luxurious and the young staff is casually dressed in line with contemporary fashion. Moshik emphasises highly creative, innovative cooking with philosophical and artistic ( e.g., Kusama and Dali) inspirations. The multiple amuse bouches and the first courses are superb-some of the most interesting combinations of ingredients that we have encountered in many years of fine dining and the flavour of the individual ingredients comes though in spades. Unfortunately by the time we arrived at the main course (and it does take time), our appetites had already peaked and we felt both of our entrees (charcoal grilled anjou pigeon and sweetbreads), while excellent, did not quite match the sublime levels of the previous courses and left no room for desert ( but I hasten to point out that we are perhaps a bit older than the average diner). The bartender makes great bone dry martinis and the wine list, while not expansive, has some good choices. Now a word of warning: all this comes at a very high price, even by Amsterdam standards (and suffice it to say we did not opt for a course containing Kobe beef that, if I remember correctly, carried a price tag north of 300 Euros, so this is not for the faint of heart nor budget. Putting this aside, still a memorable dining experience.

1  Thank plkmtk
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Excellent restaurant truly deserving its 2-star Michelin rating. Wouldn't be surprised if the third star is on its way. We went for the 6-course tasting menu, which turned out to be more like 12 courses due to the various amuse-bouche and small in between items. The only drawback was that we waited for 30 minutes for the last course (lamb). But even this did not materially impair the experience. Will definitely go back.