“Fanastic meal”

The Seafood Bar
Ranked #43 of 3,955 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier)
“Fanastic meal”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

We went to the restaurant based on proximity to our hotel and we're not disappointed. We were initially told that it would be a 45 minute wait for a table and we're served with others outside a free oyster , we were then offered a seat at the bar after 25 minutes. We ended up spilt in another 6 oysters and a reasonable priced bottle of white wine in addition to our seafood dishes that were well done ( medium rare swordfish and a whole seabed for my husband). This was followed by expresso and tiramiso. My only regret is that we are returning to Canada tomorrow before having the opportunity to try some more dishes, because despite the restaurant being busy we had fast and excellent service. Would highly recommend!!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
“Good food, good service!...great place in AMS!”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

that was really a nice surprise. We arrived pretty late for Dutch standards, 9.45 pm!...got a table!...the place is pretty big, modern, simple but nice decoration and atmosphere.
The food...fish of course!....very nice and tasty! i had grilled squids and grilled Sword fish. I ordered the fish not too cooked as I like it this way, it was a nice thick piece, cooked just as I like, with a nice mediteranean style dressing. Service was nice and efficient.
We really had a nice diner!....

Austin, Texas
“The best lunch”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

We had the Sur de Mar, for two, and it was fantastic. Everything on the dish was of high quality, fresh, and prepared nicely. The Sur de Mar included lobster, king crab legs, stone crab, oysters, muscles, scampi, and other kinds of shellfish that I've never heard of before... It took us about 2 hours to finish our meal, but that was because we were enjoying every second of it!

The interior of the restaurant is beautiful and bright, and the place is busy with locals. It was the perfect spot for lunch on a Sunday in Amsterdam.

Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic one night, good the next”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I went here without a reservation as one of the area's restaurants recommended by my hotel. Sat at the front counter for 10 minutes with a nice beer while I waited for a table and this was a great experience - you get to see all the ingredients and the food preparation that's not done in the back kitchen.

All the staff were great (cheerful, efficient, accommodating), and the 'Fruits de Mer - Seafood bar' was possibly one of the best seafood meals I've had, anywhere. Prices were good too - not cheap, but still good value.

I was so impressed that I returned the next night with a reservation. Unfortunately the staff seemed to be a different group and weren't quite as good as the first night. Also the 'Fish and Chips' I had was only average. But I'm happy to take the first night as the one to go by!

Try to go here when you are in Amsterdam.

County Dublin, Ireland
“Questionable food handling”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

To me, an important element of "freshness" is the proper handling of fresh food. My friend and I were appalled to see one of the kitchen staff behind the bar (where we were sitting) replacing the garbage bag on the garbage bin and then, without changing gloves, carefully picking up handfuls of what looked like sashimi and putting them away for the day (it was closing time). Luckily (or unluckily - depending how you look at it), this happened after we had eaten. I haven't had any culinary training, but I imagine this is not in accordance with proper food handling practices.

Prior to the aforementioned observation, we had a positive opinion on the food. The service was also very friendly and fast - they did a great job of selecting personable and energetic staff! The location is perfect (just off the P.C. Hooftstraat) and the drinks menu had a well-priced and varied selection.