“Average, not value for money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Amigo Budget Hostel

Amigo Budget Hostel
Ranked #171 of 219 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Average, not value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

This hostel seems to be more expensive than others I've stayed in and I think it's only because it's in Amsterdam. Cute, friendly place, the beds are clean, the people at reception are nice, but it is ridiculously small and the entrance is the steepest flight of stairs I've ever seen. It was very precarious, especially wheb stoned and lugging a giant suitcase. Anyhow, I would stay there again, but I'm sure there's somewhere better and closer to the centre of Amsterdam; amigo is a 30 minite walk from thr centre.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Poor location - practically in the middle of nowhere - if you want to go to Amsterdam, I'd highly recommend the Leidesplein area.

The amount of stairs (a billion, at the very least), would have been forgivable had they not been so narrow and treacherous. The first lot of stairs to get to the hostel are narrow and stone, very easy to slip on, especially with luggage.

The common area had no atmosphere whatsoever. The people were not very friendly. Further stairs are required to reach your rooms- again, narrow and dangerous stairs. It's a long, thin and winding maze to get to the rooms, which were fine.

This was the most expensive hostel out of all the ones I have stayed in this summer during interrailing yet the worst. It was just about okay, but you could definitely find something better for less money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Lancaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Me and a group of friends went to stay in Amsterdam during the end of May. We originally intended to stay elsewhere but it was fully booked so we changed our reservations to this hostel. Reading the reviews on here I wasn't expecting much but at the same time thought to myself how bad can it be?

The management at this hostel were so inept we were lucky we found a place to sleep. The day before we were leaving for Amsterdam we received an email demanding that we pay the first nights accommodation upfront or face a cancellation of our reservation. Most of us were unable to pay this seeing as we had already exchanged our currency to Euros, we aren't made of money! Anyway finally one of us managed to pay the amount and we were ready to go.

We arrived at the hostel relatively late. All huffed up, sweaty and tired we just wanted to pay for our stay and go to bed. The receptionist then informed us that our room was unavailable and we were to be sent to another hostel. They tried to overcharge us, and we argued for a good time as to why we had to pay the full amount seeing as we already paid for the first night. Anyway he eventually explained that it was taken out as a deposit and would be paid back to us within a week, which is ridiculous not everyone has £100 that the can casually pay out. The receptionist did not understand basic maths and we had to explain everything to him which was tedious. His attitude stank and it was as if he didn't want to help us or explain anything at all. We tried staying friendly and polite but patience can only go so far. After speaking to the manager on the phone we eventually managed to get 20 euros knocked off our price seeing as we had to get a taxi half way across the city which actually turned out to be 30 euros.

We stayed the first night at another hostel they sent us to which was closer to the centre and much better, I would recommend it but for the life of me I can't remember the name. The staff were friendly there and the rooms were of a better quality. Arriving later that day at Amigo we were finally given our room, which had 6 beds when we actually paid for 7 and also didn't have a shower when we bought en-suite. We were so tired and fed up of dealing with their staff that we just begrudgingly accepted it.

The room was very basic as expected, and the toilet facilities were adequate. A word of warning the stairs are very steep and a lot of smokers congregate on the top of it to smoke tobacco and weed, not ideal for non-smokers. A lot of noise in the evening but that is to be expected. The location isn't bad. A bit off the beaten track there are coffeeshops, supermarkets, pharmacies and take-aways in the area, every thing needed really. Its also only a 15 minute tram ride to Dam square and the tram stop is right outside the hotel. Taxi from the centre to Amigo costed anywhere between 20-30 euros.

I can imagine I would have enjoyed my stay more if the staff were actually competent and didn't mess us around so much. However it wasn't to be that way and I would advise people to avoid it. Not worth the money, rather stay somewhere a bit more expensive but with reliable service.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

A friend and I came to Amsterdam for the Europa league final a few weeks ago, and I booked two nights at this place online because they said there was room. Booking fee of £18.

I was then emailed saying that there weren't actually any rooms. I asked for a refund and they said they would refund my money.

A week or so later, I hadn't received my money back.

I check my bank statement and they have taken another £70 off my card. I emailed them again and they asked for a picture of my statement. So I sent it off.

That was the last I heard from them, they aren't responding to my emails and their phone number is invalid.

I would steer well clear of this place.

1 Thank frandrews14
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

After reading bad reviews I was initially worried about my stay, especially as I organised it for 2 others also. We started off in a 6 bed room, which was small but clean and had everything we needed. Lockers for each person, a sink and mirror which was an added bonus. The toilet and shower facilities were small but just what we needed.
After 3 nights we moved to a triple room which had 2 bunk beds, so really could be for 4. This was good.
The hostel was a 20 minute tram ride from the city centre but it was really easy to get around everywhere and only cost 7.50 for a day ticket.
Staff were polite and really helpful!

• Stayed June 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I am living in the netherlands for about a year now and Amigo is the place to go for me whenever I need a place to stay in Amsterdam. Having experience in other Hostels here, I can say this option is a very good value for the money.
The Hostel is located on the west side of the city near Oosterpark, which is a good option if you want to avoid the madness of the centre for a few hours. Everything you might need like supermarket, cleaner, bank, coffeshops, pizza, parks are literarly across the street. There is also free internet and Tram 9 to central station stops on the street just outside the hostel. The hostel is very clean in general and the stuff is very nice and friendly, never had any problems. If you want to explore Amsterdam this is the best option to have a good rest for the night without spending so much money.

Room Tip: There are some stairs so you might consider choosing the lowwer floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Split, Croatia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Horrible place to stay.
We booked room for 5 people for 2 nights. It was busy time in the city because of the uefa europa league final game. When we arrived staff at the reception told us that our reservation is cancelled because of invalid credit card details. Nobody contacted us via mail or phone about this?!!?
Do they know that in 21st century you must use e-mail and internet when you are working especially in tourism??!!!
They gave us a room to sleep for the first night because it was late, but he told us that tomorrow we must leave the place. When we woke up in the morning I asked guy at reception ist there any free room because we want to stay one more night. He told me that he must call his boss. After call he told me that they have free room but the price is 70 Euro per person. 70 Euro for a budget hostel!!!!!
Terribly unprofessional staff!
WiFi did not work at all. 2 computers in the reception lobby were also broken.

Horrible experience.