“Yum”

New York Steakhouse
Ranked #439 of 4,190 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The New York Steakhouse is the perfect place for a warm and cozy feel and for some excellent meat. Right here on the Leidseplein our elevator will take you up to our magnificent steakhouse with a prime view over the entire square from the third floor. Upon arriving in the elevator our host will give you a warm greeting and lead you to your table. Immediately you will notice our traditional inviting décor and our walls filled with pictures of New York. Soon after being seated, you will notice the magnificent view over the Leidseplein. During the summer you can see the busy terrace filled with people and in the winter you have a cozy view over the Christmas lights in the trees and perhaps even a snowy square. The New York Steakhouse sets the tone for a perfect meal above the Leidseplein! Equally as important as the setting of the tone, is the quality of our meat. Our well trained kitchen staff is sure to prepare a tasty T-bone steak, or even some spare ribs, exactly to your liking. Not only do we serve meat, we also serve fish and have a selection of vegetarian dishes. Our, and your, host will be expertly informed about all our products and will make sure you get the meat the way you want it. So come to the New York Steakhouse and we will make sure you get the perfect meal in the perfect place!
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Really good prompt service and food here. Great views overlooking streets and square. Food looked good judging by other orders but I opted for Lamb chop heaven good choice. Thank you will recommend to others.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Reasonably priced food with good service and location. Very pleasant staff and no need to wait for a table.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

If I could have rated this restaurant zero star's I would have!
The food here was mediocre but the service is where it was utterly terrible!
Firstly, items featured on the menu at the front door did not feature in the menu given to my partner and I when we were seated, which was very disappointing.
Secondly, the restaurant had no ambience and was freezing cold.
However my main gripe with this restaurant was the completely incompetent and rude waiter! He not only got my order wrong but managed to mess up the orders of three other tables nearby - very embarrassing especially as the restaurant wasn't even busy! When I returned the incorrect item to the waiter, he said he would bring out the correct item to me. As the rest of my order had turned up I told the waiter not to worry as it was a side dish which I did not want to wait around for. I then returned to my seat and ate the rest of my food. After I had finished all my food, the waiter brought out the correct item I had originally ordered. I told him as I had now finished my food I did not want it (it had been at least 20 minutes since the rest of my food had turned up) so as I had previously explained, I did not want it. He completely ignored me and walked off leaving the food there, which I thought was incredibly rude and unprofessional.
When I got the bill I was horrified to see the INCORRECT ITEM on the bill. I explained I did not order this item, nor did I eat so I would not be paying for it. He then shouted at me rudely but in the end agreed to take it of the bill as he could see it was entirely his fault.
His behaviour was totally unacceptable and uncalled for, not to mention unprofessional! He was a useless waiter and I would recommend people NOT to waste their time on this restaurant as there are plenty of better restaurants in the city.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is quite a formal restaurant but a must visit for good food, in nice surroundings at a reasonable price for what you get. We got the 3 course menu, 26.50euro each & couldn't fault it. The soup to start was delicious, the steak for main was well cooked & tasty, dessert topped off the whole meal.

My friend suffers from coeliac disease so all food must be gluten free, this was no problem with the waiter knowing what was gluten free & checking with the chef on sauces etc that he was unsure about.

From the outside the red lights with the name of the restaurant make it look a little tacky but it's anything but. You enter the bar downstairs & head to the lift, the restaurant is on the 3rd floor overlooking the square. It seems to be open quite late too, we arrived just after 9pm on a Tuesday night & were still in after 11pm with no urgency being placed on us or other diners to leave.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

A most enjoyable burger cooked to extremely high standards while enjoying the buzz of Leidse Square and the entertainment of all that goes with the vibrancy of the whole place or maybe is it a Top Quality steak,or Tiger Prawns you would perfer. In that case the NewYorkSteakhouse also offers a high standard of service and cuisine on the 3rd floor, which is reached by a stylish elevator. A library type setting of relaxed atmosphere gives you choice of fine dining, overlooking the square in the tranquility of fine wine and food. How wonderful.
Enjoy the setting and beautiful food. The price is., worth it for what it is.
A most enjoyable experience for both myself and my visitors, who talk about it when they return home. That says a lot.