“Basic, clean, cheap”

Hotel Mosaic City Centre
Ranked #48 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Building: The hotel was built only a few years ago; but to reach my room I had to walk through the "courtyard" and this wasn't very nice in the morning with the fresh air...
Room: Although I had booked a normal "twin ensuite" (and not the small twin ensuite), the room was rather small. Rooms are essential but ok and very clean. Not very soundproof, I heard the people walking along the corridor. Showers without curtain or similar.
Location: a bit far from central station but close to the museums.
Other services: The staff is ok and you can have juice and the for free. They didn't answer a mail of mine.
Price: rather cheap (I paid around 50€).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I did find the hotel a bit hard to find, but once I was there I have to say I had a very enjoyable stay. I was only there for one night, and I'd booked very last minute (the day before), but the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and well presented, the beds were amazingly comfortable, and the area felt safe.
The only negative point was that they gave me the key to a room with someone still asleep in it; but to apologise they upgraded me to a triple room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jess31161
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very modern. The people are very friendly and made discount with parking! Only the room is a little cold but it's ok for a one night stay. Also they offer free coffe at the reception. They give a free city map and tell about what to do around.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Just returned from Amsterdam and stayed at the Mosaic. Calling this a hotel pushes the bounds of reality. The only thing place is suitable for is literally if you are a student or on a drunken stag night. If you expect anything better you'll be disappointed. As for security, ring the door bell on the ground floor and the door entrance to the block is opened then its straight up to the entrance door of the room. As you can see from the pic its extremely cramped for 3 people.

No way would we go back there.

Room Tip: Best advice I can give is keep walking past!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pajtk
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Visited on 28th October 2013. Despite previous reviews the hotel was easy to find and had very good security. The neighhbourhood felt very safe especially when travelling with children. Receptionist was very friendly and helpful offered us free tea and coffee upon arrival. We had a triple room which was very clean with very comfortable beds. The only downside was the wet room which although it was very modern everything within it got vey wet when the shower was used.
Overall I would have no hesitation recommeding or returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel for 1 night. Was one of my worst hotel experiences in my life. Arrived at 9.30 pm and wanted to check in. They told me that I arrived too late and that no rooms were available (although I booked through hotel.com which confirmed to me that they must hold the room until 10pm). They sent me to a totally run-down hotel nearby which which I would not recommend to my worst enemy !! Wanted to speak with the manager of Mosaic which seems to be the owner, a Chinese guy. The whole day he wasn't available. The next night I slept at Mosaic and found a very dirty room, a foam mattress where you sleep like a banana. And on top of it there is a smell of humidity in the room. Booked for 3 nights but checked out a night before. Be aware that most good reviews possibly had been made up by people close to the owner. Never happened to me before, but impression on Trip adviser totally wrong with reality.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MichaelLondon1
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This ,operate priced, clean, comfortable hotel is walking distance to many museums, attractions, good restaurants and taxis cruise by all the time so you can catch one easily. We had a small but very nice room, good shower, friendly and helpful staff. We walked to Van Gogh Museum, Rijks Museum, canal boat tour, many good restaurants. Give it a try if you are looking for a bargain in every way.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple