“The second time I would not go.”

City Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #170 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Recently renovated, but shabby. The bathroom was cold. Steep stairs and no lift. Modest breakfast. We had a beautiful view from the window on the neighboring rooftops. Friendly staff. 10 minutes to the train station and the city center. Budget hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KareninaAna

Reviewed November 15, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Helen B
Reviewed November 14, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I had booked a late trip to Amsterdam with friends, who had booked before me. I had to find somewhere to stay, away from them, as there hotel was now too expensive. I searched with only two weeks to go and found this hotel. It was near all the Central attractions. Near to the Station and close to my friends. Above all it was reasonable ( for Amsterdam ) and no shared facilities.
When I arrived at the hotel, I was given my single room straight away. What I found was a clean, modern, reasonably spacious room. Perfect for my needs. I didn't really use the communal areas as I was out all day. From what I could see, these were clean and functional. Breakfast was typical Dutch/ continental serve yourself, it was fine. The guy on the desk was very helpful, and even lent me his IPhone charger. All in all I would stay here again, no worries.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Book a double superior room although was traveling solo as that was the cheapest room with attached bathroom available then. Therefore the room is quite spacious, though slightly costly. Read about the steep staircase but very fortunate was given a room at ground floor - many plus point for this. Greeted by super friendly staff Ismail and Marx - very helpful and gave an overview of the city and suggestions of sightseeing. There is no coffee making facility in the room, but can ask for boiled water from the small bar which allow me to make some hot drink after a cool, tiring city tour. Grateful for this. Bed was too soft and noise easily pass through the wall/door as others have commented, but overall able to sleep well. There is no daily room service though. TV offered quite a number of English channels. Breakfast provided a reasonable option of food choices. There is a locked buggage room to store luggage, and dear Ismail actually treated me with a departure drink before leaving. Thanks for that!

Room Tip: I found ground level room very convenient to me, but it can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We're staying here on our last days of our trip on the 18th September for 2 nights.
We booked standard room and as all other hotels in Amsterdam centre, the rate is quite on the high side.

Hotel location is very convenient, only 5 - 10 minutes walk to Centraal Station and Damrak.

No parking space available at all in front of the hotel, even to unload our luggage we have to stop in the middle of the bicycle path.

We're greeted by a warm and nice guy at reception. After check in, he assisted us to carry our luggage to the room as there's no elevator in this hotel. Our room in the 1st floor was not really spacious and has a low ceiling (approx 1.8m) however it was nice and cozy as it seems that the room was just renovated with new toilet fixture and furniture.

Breakfast was included in our room rate, but not much selection of the food. Only 1 type of cold cut, 1 type of cheese, and there's even no yoghurt available on our first morning breakfast.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms have low ceiling (approx 1.8m only) but easier to carry your luggage as the hotel do...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple