“Good place!” 5 of 5 stars

Kiev, Ukraine
“Good place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was there in august 2013. the hotel have a lot of "+":
1. a perfect location! It's near to railway station (near 10 min.) and it is situated in the city center!
2. the stuff is pleasant, kind,attentive
3. the room with a new and a nice furniture
4. a good price for a room if compare with other hotels
5. the brakfast inclided! I can't say that it is a very varity,but you can eat a toast, flakes, eggs and drink coffee/tea/juce.
6. hotel is located in a historical old building!

But there are two negative things:

1. the walls are thin. I've heard most of what my neighbors are doing.
2. on hotel's website there isn't information that room type "Standard Double Room" has a ceiling for people with a maximum height of 1.76 m. My height is 1.82 m. and I was tilted all the time.

But I like this hotel! It is very cute and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The City Hotel in Amsterdam is good for a night or two. The location is great just across the street from the central train station. The rooms are small but sufficient for Amsterdam as most of the time is spent out and about. It is similar to a hostel but each room has bathroom. Walking distance to many café bars restaurants. Would stay again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had to stay there on business as that week overall occupancy in Amsterdam Hotels was very high due to the boat show and other events. The staff were friendly and obliging. I was given a room at the back which was just as well as there is no air-con in the rooms. To get to it I had to climb a couple of staircases. The room was functional - the bed was comfortable and there was an ensuite toilet and shower. The TV was very limited with less than 20 channels, most of them Dutch. I had to leave the window open due to the temperature and there was quite a bit of noise from outside until almost midnight - then it was fine. The breakfast was average and there was no fresh fruit.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the front side of the hotel to minimise noise
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The City Hotel Amsterdam is very centrally located. About ten minutes from the train and the red light district. The room was small, with low ceilings but everything worked and for the price this is a great place for a few nights!

The breakfast was reasonable with cereal, breads and spreads as well as facilities to toast.

The receptionist Ismael was a great help supplying us with the information we needed to catch the train out to see the windmills. He even told us the train platform.

Would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013
Beirut, Lebanon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel end of June 2013, clean not very far from centraal station and other attractions.
Poor breakfast, and somehow weird but maybe typical European staircases.
Staff were cool.
Neighbors were very noisy, make sure you ask them to slam the doors quietly as the doors are quite adjacent to each others in some sections of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I was searching for a hotel on booking.com and came across City Hotel. The name itself sounds dodgey but the photos on the website looks promising so we decided to book it.

I was disappointed as soon as we arrived. I chose the room that's supposed to be on the first floor and when we got there it was actually on the third! So we have to carry our luggages 3 flights up on a non elevator building. I am from NY so I am used to walk ups but the fact that they lied on their website that its on the first floor when it actually isn't is unforgivable! I made it a point to get a room on the first floor because I know how the buildings are in Amsterdam.

Next, when we got to the room - our bed sheets and pillows were not clean and arranged. It looked like someone was just there before us! I've never been to a hotel like this! I know it's not a five star hotel but its really disgusting to arrive in your room like that. I went back to the reception and told him the story and all he did was hand me fresh sheets so I can change it myself! Unbelievable!

On our last day they charged us for not checking out on time. I have never experienced this in any hotel!

I am very disappointed and unhappy customer and hopefully this review will help other people.

I do not recommend this hotel. You can get a better deal somewhere else for the price.

• Stayed June 2013