“Good for a night” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #178 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Seattle, Washington
“Good for a night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The City Hotel in Amsterdam is good for a night or two. The location is great just across the street from the central train station. The rooms are small but sufficient for Amsterdam as most of the time is spent out and about. It is similar to a hostel but each room has bathroom. Walking distance to many café bars restaurants. Would stay again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Turkish first
Perth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had to stay there on business as that week overall occupancy in Amsterdam Hotels was very high due to the boat show and other events. The staff were friendly and obliging. I was given a room at the back which was just as well as there is no air-con in the rooms. To get to it I had to climb a couple of staircases. The room was functional - the bed was comfortable and there was an ensuite toilet and shower. The TV was very limited with less than 20 channels, most of them Dutch. I had to leave the window open due to the temperature and there was quite a bit of noise from outside until almost midnight - then it was fine. The breakfast was average and there was no fresh fruit.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the front side of the hotel to minimise noise
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The City Hotel Amsterdam is very centrally located. About ten minutes from the train and the red light district. The room was small, with low ceilings but everything worked and for the price this is a great place for a few nights!

The breakfast was reasonable with cereal, breads and spreads as well as facilities to toast.

The receptionist Ismael was a great help supplying us with the information we needed to catch the train out to see the windmills. He even told us the train platform.

Would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013
Beirut, Lebanon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel end of June 2013, clean not very far from centraal station and other attractions.
Poor breakfast, and somehow weird but maybe typical European staircases.
Staff were cool.
Neighbors were very noisy, make sure you ask them to slam the doors quietly as the doors are quite adjacent to each others in some sections of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I was searching for a hotel on booking.com and came across City Hotel. The name itself sounds dodgey but the photos on the website looks promising so we decided to book it.

I was disappointed as soon as we arrived. I chose the room that's supposed to be on the first floor and when we got there it was actually on the third! So we have to carry our luggages 3 flights up on a non elevator building. I am from NY so I am used to walk ups but the fact that they lied on their website that its on the first floor when it actually isn't is unforgivable! I made it a point to get a room on the first floor because I know how the buildings are in Amsterdam.

Next, when we got to the room - our bed sheets and pillows were not clean and arranged. It looked like someone was just there before us! I've never been to a hotel like this! I know it's not a five star hotel but its really disgusting to arrive in your room like that. I went back to the reception and told him the story and all he did was hand me fresh sheets so I can change it myself! Unbelievable!

On our last day they charged us for not checking out on time. I have never experienced this in any hotel!

I am very disappointed and unhappy customer and hopefully this review will help other people.

I do not recommend this hotel. You can get a better deal somewhere else for the price.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank farrochka
Beirut, Lebanon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from June 30 to July 4. The location of the hotel is a 10 to 15 min walk from Centraal Station. Once you leave the station, you turn left and you will find your way to the property. It is a typical Amsterdam building, with staircases even to get to the bathroom, am telling you, this hotel damaged my muscles, and bones and every joint of my body, because you have to carry your luggage up and up and up, or down and down and down. Am not saying it´s wrong to do this, but man, the stairs are suicidal, and if you are planning on getting high every night like I did, oh its an adventure, which I actually enjoyed. The staff is typical of a do it yourself hotel, they are there but don´t expect much from them. They are what they are, this is a 1 to 2 star property, and it was quite clean and the room I had, I think 13A was pretty decent. What else can I say, the breakfast was not bad, but it needs at least a fruit, that would give it the edge, other than that, it was good. I paid 100 euro per night for 2 people in double room, which was great. I would return to it unless I find a more central hotel for the same price, the hotel is walking distance from the red light district, and dam square, and all the coffee shops and restaurants, but its not in the middle of the hustle and bustle which to me was great somehow.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends