“Good value clean hotel”

Hotel Savoy Amsterdam
Ranked #335 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed at the Savoy for 2 nights on business. Good location with clean presentable rooms. Check in fast and efficient with all wifi details given. Room very clean and fresh with view over street. No noise nuisance. Breakfast was adequate with a good choice but a more powerful toaster would be useful.
Check out had no problem.
All in all the stay was good value compared to other locales and would certainly have no problems in recommending or staying there again.

Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank spatan

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Arrival: Check in was simple and the member of staff friendly.

Car Parking: As we had arrived by car we were informed that since it was Easter street parking would be free until 9.00am on the Tuesday. The hotel has no private parking. Parking turned out to be 2.5km away at the Olympic Stadium. The up side was parking was €8 for 24 hours plus a return tram ticket for each person in the car, there was still a 500m or so walk to the hotel at the end of the tram ride OK no big deal in the way of a walk but a nuisance. If you stay in Amsterdam it would be best not to take a car. If you want to see the bulb fields and the Keukenhoff Gardens by car then think about near by Haarlem. There is a tram stop just outside the hotel will take you to the city centre, just buy your ticket on the tram.

Room: A little small but very clean and well looked after. The room had a TV, twin beds, a safe and a mini fridge but no tea / coffee making facilities – for that you had to go down to the lounge/breakfast room. The shower was over the bath which while it worked well is something I dislike because of all the climbing in and out but again the room was very clean. The bedroom had a small “balcony” shared with another room that provided a view over the back gardens of the surrounding buildings. Somewhere to go to check the weather but little else, it didn't even provide much light to the room.

Food: Self-service breakfast which was OK but nothing special, choice of cereals, cold meat, fruit (some fresh some tinned). The hot food was scrambled egg – a little over done, beans, and sausages etc't., didn't try them so can't comment on the quality. Various breads were available along with croissants. The toaster was of the light domestic variety and took too so long to do anything I was loosing the will to live and settled for scrambled eggs on warm bread. Orange juice from a machine, coffee from a machine, which was very good... what does it say about the place if everyone talks about how good the coffee machine was? The breakfast room itself was clean but a bit too utilitarian for 4 stars.

Want and evening meal? Not available. For anything other than breakfast or snacks you have to leave the hotel (this is 4 star remember). Fortunately the street has many good restaurants to choose from but on a wet night with the temperature at 5C it would have been nice to have the choice to eat in the hotel.

Checkout was as easy as checking in but I was a bit miffed having to lug the cases into the car while two members of the staff stood smoking. Perhaps I was expecting too much from a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michaelp_clarke
Reviewed April 18, 2012

we stayed here during Febuary when the weather was very cold,we booked through Venere,whom still on their website promote this hotel as offering "free drinks in the lounge" we have stayed with this hotel a couple of years ago when they offered an all inclusive package,so when i saw the price on Venere for our dates i jumped at it,what a dissapointment when we arrived,the hotel has been taken over and no longer offer all inclusive and asked if we wanted to buy breakfast,again we thought this was included,i wasnt happy to say the least,we didnt purchase breakfast as it was overpriced.
The hotel itself is in a quiet area about 20 min tam ride from Dam Sq,so best to buy travel pass,there isnt much open at night in this area so had to travel back into city,the rooms are clean and the beds are so comfy,electronic type,dvd player in room,nice bathroom,didnt think much of the staff,not happy looking or friendly,i wont be staying here again.
I did email Venere to complain but no answer back, we actually ended up having one of the best trips we've had in this amazing city,but cost us a lot more than originaly thought,next visit in June

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2012

The Savoy Hotel is close to the RAI Exhibition center at a comfortable 10 minutes walk. There is free Wifi in the hotel, a good and plentiful breakfast, comfortable rooms with very good beds.
Staff is helpful, efficient check-in and -out.
Parking close to the hotel is possible. The center of Amsterdam is easily reached by tram.
A pity there is no bar for a quiet drink!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed in this hotel one night this week. Most important terms for me were presented: not too far from city center, English breakfast and free wifi internet in rooms.
The first contact was nice: pretty Indonesian lady in reception was very friendly. I checked-in at 6 p.m. and on the same time a male person came to work to front desk. I saw coffee machine in breakfast room and asked from female person, how much I have to pay for coffee. She said that coffee is free of charge. On the same time guy from reception added that I have to drink coffee in the same room and I can not take the cup to my room... Strange, but OK.
I entered into my room on the 3rd floor and it was very cold. The reason was a window, which was not closed. I tried to close it, but it was quit tricky, because the mechanism was broken. Somehow I was successful and thanks to air conditioner in a hour my room was more-less warm.
As I had to prepare some documents, I tried connect my laptop by wifi to internet, but the signal was too weak for it. The same result with iPad. I called to reception and described the problem. Guy from front desk was very unfriendly and he suggested to take my computer with me to lobby because there the signal is stronger. I did not like this solution and asked to change my room. The answer was negative. Arguments were that there is only 5 free rooms in hotel and maybe crowd of people from street will enter and want book all these rooms. And... he has to send a cleaner to my room, if I will leave it! I explained, that there is no need for cleaner, cause I just arrived and everything is clean. Result: nothing! First time in my life hotel was not changing my room when I asked that.
At morning I had breakfast with my colleague and it was really good and tasty. But... during the one hour in breakfast room we did not see any other hotel guests. So it was really hard to believe the argument of the front desk guy, that hotel was almost full.

Room Tip: If you want wifi do not choose the room No 301. My colleague stayed in room No 102 and there the sig...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Nice hotel - trolley right outside and only 5 minutes walk to RAI.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KennethDK
Reviewed January 6, 2012

First of all please let me start by saying this hotel is way under rated on trip advisor. I stayed at this hotel from 24th December 2011 till 28th December 2011 with my wife and we had an amazing stay. Before leaving for Amsterdam I must have spent more than 100 hours on reading reviews and looking at different sites for hotels and was worried about the ratings but after the stay I can definitely say that this hotel which has a rating of 7.0 is way below for what you get for the price.

It is like 15 mins drive from the airport. We took the connexxion shuttle which was 50 euros return trip for 2. For the hotel we paid Euro 367.00 including breakfast (which was decent compared to the 15 Euros/Person the rest of the hotels charge) and city tax of 5%. Tram 25 and 12 takes you to Dam Square and the tram station and is a stone throw away from the hotel. It is in a very nice and peaceful area with the police station next to it. Everyone at the reception was amazingly helpful and friendly. The rooms were spacious and the beds were comfortable. Lots of places to eat around inlcuding indonesian, thai etc. Places like Heinkein experience and Albert Market are like 2 stops by tram. Other places like van goh and rij museum are 2 mins away by tram. It is a non smoking hotel but u can smell the weed and in the hallway which as a smoker i definitely did not mind ;) .

Overall very nice hotel for the price you pay. I would recommend it to anyone going to Amsterdam. I really don't think you wold get anything better for the price this hotel charges.

P.S : If you stay here then I will advise you to get the I AM AMSTERDAM CARD...for the duration that suits you since you will use the trams a lot and get free entry to a lot of museums and a free canal cruise.

Room Tip: Take the rooms with twin beds instead of a queen or double bed. The ones with twin beds are larger.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple