“Very good value”

Ranked #46 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Very good value”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I can only recommend this hotel. It's not a 5 star and it doesn't pretend to be, it's functional and good value. The staff work hard, are amiable and very helpful.
Ok it is a tram ride from the exhibition centre and let's be honest almost everywhere but hey that's what I was paying for.
Breakfast was adequate, virtually no food in the evening, although I had a larger version of pot noodle and I was happy with that.
The room was very clean had everything that you would need including shampoo etc. The tv worked, clean sheets, towels and wi-fi worked what a miracle.
But mainly in a budget hotel like this the important element is the staff and for me they made it. Well done you as this is my only 5 star award in 2 years out of 10 reviews!.......yeh :)

Room Tip: Only the obvious, keep away from the lift.
1 Thank johnpp2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gutersloh, Germany
Reviewed November 28, 2012

This Holiday Inn is the perfect place to stay if you do not wish to take your car into the center of the city, could not advise it anyway. The public transport service into the center of Amsterdam is fantastic, inexpensive and only 3 minutes walk from the reception. I realy enjoyed my stay and only found one fault and that is the packaging of the breakfast but never mind let the "Green Brigade" have their say on that. All in all a real treat to stay there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wayne T
Poznan
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Excellent hotel - new, clean, modern, with nice design and really good prices.
I pretty much liked everything there, starting from friendly and competent staff, to clean and modern rooms with nice bathrooms (great bed, baby cot was installed in the room just like we asked), to free breakfast buffet (variety of food, both sweet and salty), free wifi, spacious parking (free on weekends - something not so common in Amsterdam, infamous for its parking difficulties and prices).
The only possible drawback is the location - The hotel is in a quet and safe part of town but out of the center. Still, you can easily reach the center with public transport (ca. 100m from the hotel, a direct tram will take you to Central Station, in about 15-20 minutes). So it is not the best option if you want a romantic boutique hotel overlooking a canal or just want to get back to bed quickly after a long night in a club/coffeeshop ;)
We paid 99 EUR per night and with free breakfast and free parking this is a great price for Amsterdam standards so it will leave you with enough cash for a taxi to the center and back if you want some late-night entertainment downtown.

Room Tip: It is a quiet area altogether and no great view from any room so room selection is not so important.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank asia075
md
Reviewed November 26, 2012

When we arrived by plane, we took a cab since we got in around 5:00am. That was a mistake. The cab person was fine,but took us to the wrong holiday inn. Luckily, she was still there,to take us to the correct one and I just didn't pay the starting rate. That being said, it took us a 15 minute ride and cost about $65. Euros and then tip.
Anyway, when we arrived at the correct one, I asked if I could leave our bags till the 3:00pm check in and the front desk people said they had my room ready and let us check in and that we were welcome to breakfast, also. This was so kind of them! I really appreciated that especially since the first time I went to Amsterdam, I wanted charm and picked a canal house in the Central district. When we arrived there after no sleep on a train and pouring down rain, I asked the front desk clerk if I could just have a cup of coffee from there breakfast buffet and told me, "no, that was for their paying guests. I could go around the corner, a few blocks away, to a coffee shop.".
So, this time, I went because of the other reviews I read and the bed did not lean, like in the canal houses and the hotel staff was so kind with their generosity, that I wanted to thank them again. The free wi-fi was great and I was able to get a safe landing message there and also at the airport too, while waiting for the luggage.
Here is a tip. When you go and need the streetcar pass, buy it from the front desk at the hotel. We fooled around for like 20 minutes with machine and unless you have these new cards, that are going around in Europe, but a 24 HR pass at reception desk. I enjoyed the streetcar and did not miss being in the centrum district.
Thank you again Holiday Inn. Your kindness will always be remembered!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HeidiKMd
Poole, England
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Overall a good HEX, small and located south of Amsterdam.

Checkin staff were very good and polite

Its location could be a problem if you want to go to the airport as using the tram and bus will take you around an hour to get to checkin, i would suggest a taxi but this is going to cost around €45.00. A better HEX for the airport is at Amsterdam Sloterdijk.

Good rooms, standard HEX continental breakfast.

You are in a residential district close to shops there is one Chinese restaurant close by, but it does not look the best and is expensive.
When out in the evening looking for somewhere to eat I was approached twice by some undesirable guys either looking to sell drugs or wanting money so be careful.

Overall not bad, let down by its location

2 Thank aircub
GM_HI_Express_AMSAM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - South, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable review about our beautiful hotel.

I am very sorry to hear that you needed to pay a fee of Eur. 45.- for a taxi. Depending on traffic the fee might be more than the regular Eur. 30 - Eur. 35.-. However travelling via train from Schiphol towards Station Amsterdam - Zuid just takes 7 minutes. From there to take tram nr. 5, which is another 7 minutes to to our hotel.

The reception can suggest very nice restaurants in our desired area. This is all within walking distance of the hotel. There is more to offer just than the Chinese. Our reception desk has all the valuable information for going out to dinner. I am suggesting from your comment that you were unable to contact the reception desk during your stay. Our area is rated as one of the most safest and caring district in Amsterdam which is completely safe to live in.

I am very much looking forward having you as one of our guests again. For future bookings please contact my teammembers via info.amsam@hiex.nl.

Yours sincerely,

Rinse Kempinga
Hotel Manager
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed November 24, 2012

A new hotel is usually a very good thing. This is the case here. The new bathroom and shower work very well. They also include a very good breakfast and Internet access. The staff was always very courteous and informative. It is a very short walk from the metro/tram station and you can purchase the ticket at the desk or at a nearby shop. The ride takes about 20 minutes to Central Station. If you do not mind riding public transportation to go back and forth from the main Amsterdam attractions, this hotel is a very good option. The cab ride from the airport is quick and costs 25 to 30 euro, depending on the time of the day and number of pieces of luggage. I selected this hotel for a five day stay with my wife, based on comments similar to mine on TripAdvisor and I was not disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cranbrook, Kent
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I travelled to Amsterdam for one night business. I arrived rather late so got a taxi from the central station which cost around 25euros. Staff were really friendly and the hotel looks new. Room was a good size and the new bathroom was very nice. Had a good nights sleep and when I checked out the staff informed me that there was a tram a few min from the hotel which took me to the centre in 20 min for around 3 euros, much better then the taxi charge.