All reviewskosher breakfastjumbo supermarkettram and metrola brochettecity centrequiet areapublic transportationbusiness travelercentral stationgood sizegreat showerhotel is locatedboiled eggsminute walk from the hotelday passclean roomseasy access
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel was about 3 months old when I stayed there in September 2012. The staff were very friendly and the rooms clean and comfortable. The hotel is located in Southern Amsterdam near Amstelveen in a lovely quiet neighborhood with tram and train service near by. Modest breakfast is included.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Agent424
Reviewed September 20, 2012

a new hotel with good service, good environment and decent location

a clean and convenient hotel that I would return for my next travel to amsterdam

however there is not much choice for their breakfast, with no fresh food.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel was an excellent choice for a recent trip I made with a friend. We had a twin room and it was very spacious, clean, modern and comfortable, everything felt brand new and was very clean, we were very excited when we saw the room with the funky stripey carpet, TV and tea/coffee facilities, and amazing massage shower in bathroom. The breakfast was very nice, a typical continental breakfast with plenty of choice.
The location was handy to get to the city centre, only 20 minutes on the tram through a very nice area. We worked out on the first day that it was best to buy a ticket for the 72 hour duration of our stay. However we only worked this out after realising we couldn't buy a ticket on the platform without a card or buy it on the train itself but once we had worked it out everything was extremely straightforward and I would actually say that being a little out of town was an advantage as it was very quiet and peaceful and felt very safe.

Unfortunately during our stay the fire alarm went off early on the Sunday morning. However it was not a normal fire alarm, it actually (bizarrely) had activated the speaker at the front desk to transmit everything from there into everyone's rooms through a speaker in each ceiling. It was a bit scary to wake up from a deep sleep to the sound of heavy breathing and children crying coming loudly into our room before we tuned in and worked out what it was. I actually thought some terrible disaster was happening before I could really tune in properly. It also felt a bit more scary as the rooms did not have windows (there was air conditioning instead) so before we knew what was happening there was the fear of being trapped. However eventually we discovered that the toaster had set it off, but unfortunately it took well over an hour for them to work out how to turn the speaker off that played into everyone's rooms. we could hear every word and every single noise from reception magnified through our ceiling, and we could hear all the phone calls of people phoning to see what was going on. The staff were certainly always professional but I felt there could have been more compensation or apology as it was a frightening and disruptive experience, but whenever it was mentioned there was almost a roll of the eyes and dismissive 'yes yes we know'.
Also on the morning of leaving we were given the wrong advice from reception about the bus to the airport, which could have been disastrous except for the fact that fortunately we had left a lot of extra time for our trip. We were directed to the bus (no 300 I think?) along the main road on the right hand side but in fact when the bus arrived the driver tried to deter us from getting on as he said he was going a very roundabout route and it was to take almost an hour. However we got on anyway as we did not have time to work out an alternative at this stage. We were also told at reception that we would be able to pay for it with our tram card but in reality this was not the case.
Apart from these 2 negative experiences it was a great place to stay and I would recommend it to people of any age.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank warkyd
HotelManagementExpr, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - South, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased with your comment en feel sorry that we did not made your stay a perfect one.

With regards to the fire alarm we have taken action directly the same day. Due to an electrical failure the microphone kept open indeed. This has been repaired by the electrician. In case of a future fire alarm the microphone will be turned off automatically after the general evacuation broadcast. I sincerely apologize that you experienced this inconvenience and that you feel unsafe. Our priority is at all times our guest safety.

Travel to the airport is most convenient by tram. By bus this takes indeed a while, however you do not have to change busses or other transportation. The public transport tickets are only to be used within Amsterdam. I am then very surprised that you were unable to use the card on the bus. I will take an immediate follow up to get this clarified.

Once again, we are very glad you enjoyed your stay and welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Rinse Kempinga
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Why ONLY 3 nights? I kept saying that throughout my stay in Holiday Inn Amsterdam Express and still do!
As I approached the hotel check- in counter, I was greeted by two charming girls, Deepa and Inge, who were the first ones who set my impression of Holiday Inn Express and surprisingly, Amsterdam itself, on a very high note.
Next surprise, the room …one word, WOW! Big, spacious, extremely clean, nice finish, nice furnishings, felt like bear hugging the whole room, but I had to check out the area of the hotel. I decided to go for a walk and into a picturesque magazine, I found myself. A nice serene river or canal, I think, was on my right, just 2 minutes from the hotel. I was lucky to spot some swans floating by. The location of this hotel is simply exquisite, nicely tucked in a peaceful yet refreshing residential neighbourhood.
I decided the rest was worth exploring the next day…The next morning…..I woke up after a great nite’s sleep, I did not want to leave the bed, the room. I was greeted by a friendly staff, Muhammad who made our breakfast simply enjoyable, with his sharing of info of the city and what and how and where to go to enjoy the best of Amsterdam. Before leaving the dining area, I was greeted by a very pleasant Hotel Manager, Mr Rinse. On meeting him, I then realized where all the good charm, warmth and good feel, I felt in every staff, was coming from. Mr. Rinse, went out of his way to check that everything about my first night there, was comfortable. He gave me some good points and sites to check out in the city and to top it off, even handed his contact details, just in case we got lost! This, I found was more than a nice gesture, rarely seen in Hotel Manager’s anywhere. Well done, Mr Rinse!
Mr Rence, is another angel! He went all out to see to every holiday maker’s comfort, despite being disturbed many times. He did not seem to mind the queries, no matter what time of day or nite. I had wanted to check out a cheese farm and fortunately Mr. Rence, got all the info, travel routes and even went on to print out the map routes and transport info for my visit. Rence‘s patience is his special attribute.
As I left the hotel to explore the city, I was greeted and sent off by another pair of cheerful ladies, one very polite and graceful Silvia who added that touch of class to the hotel atmosphere. Very efficient indeed and so helpful in accessing the information I wanted; and the other, Jorien. I must say, Jorien, your smile is contagious. We like the way you wear your winning smile. For you to be able to always smile, you must be a very positive person. Rachel, the only reason I keep mistakingly call you Jorien is because, you have that catch on smile as well. I did not get to liase with Rachel very much, but she appears as pleasant as the others, and there is always my next visit.
I want to now travel to Amsterdam again for the sake of seeing Holiday Inn Express, again. I want to make it my base hotel, from where I will access other cities and places around Europe. The one thing about this hotel, is that it is like having all your friends hosting you in your own home! If you want it any better…..you ll have to just stay at home then!
I just hope these people, Deepa, Inge, Muhammad, Rence, Silvia, Jorien, Rachel and of course the manager himself, Rinse will be always there to lend the hotel, the charm it exudes. You guys are a wonderful happy team, with whom the Hotel comes out tops in mine and my buddies list.
25th Afternoon, 12noon…….., I reluctantly stepped out of my room and Holiday Inn Express South to head back out of Van Boishuizenstraat and out of Amsterdam….the only wrong thing I did on my trip to Amsterdam!

Raje

Room Tip: If you want to stay a little away from the city, yet still access it in 5 to 10 minutes by public transport, there is no better hotel. All the rooms are good in the Amsterdam Express South, you need not choose!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Raje H
Reviewed September 10, 2012

i stayed at thus hotel for 2 nights and booked 2 rooms from 24th august till 26, i can say one thing wow to the staff and the kind of service really excited to be there anytime i m back there again . the property is just 4 months old and have new room and serve a decent breakfast and wifi is free too .
the best thing in a place like amsterdam that the super market called jumbo is 200 meters from the hotel and the u can use hotel microwave and oven for your food and they even help u to make your stay comfortable they have a hot water arrangement so that u can have tea or coffee all the time .the metro is 3 minutes from the hotel it takes 20 minutes to reach amsterdam central please make a pass for travel its 19 euro for 4 days and u can travel all amsterdam by bus ,tram and metro.
would say agian want to save money and enjoy good stay be here once u r in amsterdam .

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but try to be on 1st floor or second floor rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple