“Closed down”
Review of Mitsukuni - CLOSED

Mitsukuni
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Closed down”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

After reading the review, I gave it a go there but it's closed down! The window has the advertisement for shop to let! What a pity! I can't try! :(

Visited September 2013

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good, inexpensive Japanese dinner”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I went here on a Friday night with 3 friends of mine and we had the best time and food.
The menu really is not expensive for a Japanese 3-course menu (€19.50), for northern Europe anyway.

What I like about the concept of the place is that the menu isn't a fixed one: you get to choose your salad, starter and main dish among 5 to 7 options each.

I think it's important that I mention that 2 out of my 3 friends are Japanese and they themselves recommended the place.
One of them said it's one of the best Japanese food he's had (I guess he meant "in Europe", but still).
It probably comes from the fact that the chef is Japanese himself. Now don't laugh: in the Netherlands, it's hardly ever the case that the chef, let alone the staff, be originated from the country of which your expecting to eat food from...

The place is rather small and in a busy street so I would advise you to book in advance, just in case.

It is also very nicely located, 20-minute walk from Central Station or about 10 by tram or bike.
In a very lively neighbourhood (one of the gay streets of Amsterdam), close to 3 or 4 cinemas, bars, the flower market, shopping streets etc.

Just go!
I'll go back, this is a clear fact!

PS: of course, as I said, the menu isn't really expensive BUT beware the sake, as this is what might kill the budget if you're not careful (as any other place where you'd get wine, mind you).

• Visited August 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“One of the best sushi restaurants in decline”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Although I'm a big fan of Mitsukuni, I'm not sure how much longer this restaurant will remain at the top of my favorites list. I'm a sushi fanatic and I've always loved Mitsunki for its extremely fresh and top quality sashimi, however, their recent menu change has greatly altered my opinion of this place. One of the best things about Mitsukuni was their balanced menu and fresh alternatives to the standard Japanese dishes. Sadly, they seem to have chopped their menu in half and you now only order sashimi or from a standard €20 euro menu. Some of their best dishes, deep friend oysters with a sesame sauce, grilled asparagus, garlic chicken are no longer on the menu! As my husband isn't the biggest fan of the raw stuff we could always agree on Mitsukuni - a place where you could get great cooked dishes that were a step above the rest and fantastic sashimi. They have also stopped carrying the best quality yellow tail tuna, one of my absolute favorites. The maki rolls were also a bit off in terms of presentation and composition. While we still enjoyed the food we had, it wasn't up to par with what we would normally expect from this establishment. It looks like we will have to make the trip out to Kaiko for the good stuff from now on!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank cmadisong
Panama City, Panama
“Very Fresh top quality sushi”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Always at arrival in amsterdam I book a table at Mitsukuni.............it's the real thing!........honest, fresh quality sushi, real Japanese chef, very friendly service........the Chef has passion for food and always prepares the best dishes for me and my friends.

Thanks!

Roeland Biever

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank roeland b
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
“Freshest tuna sashimi and delicious sesame seed icecream!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The only sushi bar on the route from Leidseplein to Rembrandtplein that was actually full. I don't trust empty cafes in the middle of the dinner...

The place didn't disappoint. The tuna sashimi were the freshest I have ever tried (well, I guess except for Japan itself), the choice of rolls was not as big as I would love to but was compensated with other delicious things one could choose. When you see the person who is cooking you feel in safe professional hands:-)

Also important for me - the waiters. The lady and the guy were the most pleasant people I have met for months. As my boyfriend said: "They could easily become family friends"

The cherry on top of the cake was sesame seed ice-cream. I wish I could take a doggy-bag...

• Visited August 2012