“The best B&B I have ever stayed at”

Tulip of Amsterdam B&B
Ranked #3 of 331 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
London
“The best B&B I have ever stayed at”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I am an enthusiastic traveller and I have visited many B&Bs in the world. Tulip of Amsterdam is simply the best!!! I stayed there for 3 nights during my summer holiday in August and I LOVED it!

First of all, it is centrally located in the heart of Amsterdam with lovely shops, restaurants, bars and markets just around the corner. Amsterdam Central Station is only 7-10 minutes' walk away. Despite its central location, Tulip is on a quiet street. So I enjoyed quiet evenings and slept like a baby. But if you like the night life, it's only a few minutes' walk away.

What really makes a difference is how friendly and thoughtful the hosts, David and Chris, are. I had a very warm welcome by the hosts, which really made me feel at home after a long journey to Amsterdam. They even carried my suitcase to my room. The room I stayed in was a large double room with ensuite. Everything was immaculate! Comfortable bed with nice bedding, a small dining table with chairs, a complimentary bottle of wine, tea bags, coffee capsules, drinking water, etc. I felt the hosts really put their thoughts into it to make their guests comfortable and happy. For my whole stay, I didn't have to ask for anything because everything I needed was just there in my room/bathroom. There is a wide range of choices for breakfast in the guest kitchen, too. By the way, I really liked the cat, Loytje, as it is so friendly and chillaxed. I couldn't stop cuddling and petting it. :-)

Amsterdam is a great city to visit. And my stay at Tulip made it even more special, just like the icing on the cake. I will definitely go back to Tulip when I visit Amsterdam again. Without reservation, I would highly recommend Tulip of Amsterdam B&B to anyone who desires a truly enjoyable experience in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mikelearns2rock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a long weekend in July and were both very happy with the Tulip. David and Chris have done a great job and created a very welcoming place to stay. In part because they are both very welcoming but also they have created some fantastic rooms, each room with its own character. The attention detail in the rooms makes them great places to be. This is carried forward to the breakfast room which has everything you could want for breakfast with a very well equipped kitchen area. Even the hotel cat is friendly! 
Not only is the Tulip fantastic inside it is also very well located. We visited loads of museums over the weekend and the Tulip was very centrally located for all of them with a very easy walk.
I would highly recommend anyone staying in Amsterdam to stay at this hotel. You won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
3 Thank Simon B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at the Tulip of Amsterdam a couple of weekends ago and loved it, its now our 'go to' B&B each time we go back to Amsterdam. David and Chris are very friendly and welcoming hosts, and make you feel very much at home. The decor amd ambience of the B&B actually makes you feel like you are staying with a friend rather than a guest house. The dining area/ kitchen where you make breakfast in the morning has a very modern design and there are plenty of delicious food options to choose from (toast, cereal, cheese, meats, fruit, yoghurt, eggs to make omelettes etc, cereal/ snack bars) plus a tassimo maker which always gets my vote! Our room was perfect - a good size, plenty of wardrobe space, lots of plug sockets in easy access places (unlike some hotels) Very comfortable bed (we slept well) - even had a hair dryer and straighteners in the room (and they were good ones). Good shower - can't fault it. Location wise its perfect. A 10 min walk from the main train station and walking distance from the main sights - we didn't need to get a cab once (or hire a bike). The furthest we walked was to the Rijk museum which was about 20 mins, so not a huge treck. Rembrandt's House is also a 5-10 min walk, and Rembrandt Sq/ Dam Sq a 10 min walk. The B&B is on a canal and there are plenty of pubs and restaurants opposite (we found a good thai place). Also a few minutes walk from the Red Light district if that's your thing. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Tulip to anyone - and if, like me, you are an animal lover - you'll love Chris and David's friendly little cat Loytje. He often spends his time in his basket on the window ledge staring at bikes and passers - by!

Room Tip: Ask for the Emerald room! It's my favourite.
3 Thank VegasBride_12
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Tulip is a really terrific place to stay. The Hotel is run by Chris and David (and I suspect their lovely cat Loytje has a major hand in it all-who also visits rooms for strokes and petting). A typical Amsterdam building -the guys have lovingly decorated and renovated it to a high standard. Rooms are quite large, and the one we had was at the back and very quiet. Breakfast goodies are supplied in the breakfast room- help yourself to everything- you can also cook your own eggs etc- which I thought was a real treat. David and Chris a wonderful hosts- even taking heavy bags upstairs ( which are really steep) for you. A great location also. Highly recommended. Tks David and Chris (oh and Loytje)

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the back
1 Thank Fred171948
DC
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was my first short visit to Amsterdam, and I am so glad I chose B&B Tulip. It is a beautiful small row house on the canal, conveniently located within a pleasant 10-minute walk from Central Station. The hosts Chris and David were super friendly, helpful, and accommodating. They provided directions, maps, recommendations on local restaurants and places to visit, and anything else I needed during my stay. It really felt like home. The room where I stayed was very clean, beautifully decorated, had a small fridge, espresso machine, nice modern bathroom and a comfortable bed. The self-serve concept of breakfast is a great idea. The breakfast area is very cozy, and there were plenty of good healthy choices, including eggs, cheeses, cold cuts, whole wheat bread, yogurt, juices and fruit. I cannot wait to come back to B&B Tulip! It is definitely a place to stay while in Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank AleksashaDC
Columbia, Missouri, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I recently stayed at the Tulip of Amsterdam and was thrilled with my experience. The hosts were extremely helpful and accommodating. They were available to provide directions, recommendations, and anything else I needed during my stay. I traveled to Amsterdam for a conference which was being held in the Dam square area, but did not want to stay in a large hotel. This B&B was a fantastic alternative. It is located in a convenient, central location with lots of excellent cafes and markets right across the street. I arrived on a Sunday and the market just a few feet from the B&B sold antiques, clothes, and trinkets, which was lots of fun. I stayed in the large Dutch room. It is up a steep flight of stairs but I had no problems going up and down them. The room was spacious, clean, quiet, and comfortable. I had a little table with chairs which was perfect for working. The room had a small refrigerator with cold drinks and an espresso maker so I could have a cup of coffee before going downstairs for breakfast. Breakfast is self-service, which I loved so I could decide what I wanted to eat that day. The food was great: cheese, meats, eggs, brown bread, yogurt, juices, fruit.

Staying at this B&B really made my stay comfortable without feeling like a tourist. I will definitely return here and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kelli C
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had a wonderful stay here and the hosts were very friendly with lots of information and advice. The room was very charming and clean. Breakfast is more of the do-it-yourself variety but they did a good job keeping the fridge stocked and providing a variety of options. If I have one complaint it's that they made us pay cash. I had to stop at the ATM multiple days to get enough cash to pay for the room because the ATM would only let me take out so much per day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple