“Fantastic Stay”

Tulip of Amsterdam B&B
Ranked #3 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had a wonderful stay here and the hosts were very friendly with lots of information and advice. The room was very charming and clean. Breakfast is more of the do-it-yourself variety but they did a good job keeping the fridge stocked and providing a variety of options. If I have one complaint it's that they made us pay cash. I had to stop at the ATM multiple days to get enough cash to pay for the room because the ATM would only let me take out so much per day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Tulip was my first ever B&B, and it was great. David sat me down with a map when I arrived, gave me my keys and let me to wander at my own timetable, no curfew, which for a night owl like me is awesome! I loved wandering around the canals at night, never felt unsafe. When I wanted to go out of Amsterdam to see some windmills, (I am in Netherlands, after all) he found me a place, and emailed me a bus schedule so I'd be able to sort myself out. Only thing that wasn't awesome was the weather, but that's completely out of their control, and I blame the hurricane that made it's way up the East Coast of North America. I'd definitely love to go back, or check in at the very least if I was forced elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Buge13705
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We arrived exhausted and received a warm welcome from David and Chris. David sat down with us and showed us a map of the city, offered us a drink, and immediately made us feel comfortable and welcomed. Our apartment was next door to the B&B. PERFECT for us. They were kind enough to provide food and drink items in the apartment for us even though it is a self catering apartment- they go above and beyond! The stairs to the apartment are typical canal house stairs so steep they almost are a ladder. Chris and David GENEROUSLY carried our heavy bags (3 of them for 3 of us) up the stairs-cannot tell you how appreciated that was. Our apartment had a large window overlooking a canal and restaurants/bars across as well as a small square. Red light district is close by and some of the revelers make noise late into the night, but not really directly in front. Distant drunken singing-happy noise. Do not let that scare you away. Truly not a problem. The square had farmers' market, flea market, all kinds of excitement. Our apartment has an all new interior with 1st class amenities. They would clean the apartment everyday which is also not typical. We found it to be best of both worlds. Privacy and space of an apartment, with cleaning & food of a B&B! This is the place to choose! Many thanks, David and Chris.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sanvie
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful 4 night stay here. Just a short walk from central station the b&b is centrally located and well appointed. Our room was clean and unique with Dutch furnishings.

Breakfast everyday was very nice with eggs, breads and meats.

I would recommend to anyone going to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank chop144
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We loved our stay at Tulip of Amsterdam. The room was lovely and although the bathroom was small, it was well-equiped. Breakfast was self-served but there were ample supplies of anything one would want. And the kitchen remained open throughout the day and night should one need a snack. David and Chris were wonderful and accommodating hosts, so helpful in every regard. If one is elderly, do ask for a room on the first floor as the building has the usual canal house-type stairway.
Thanks, David and Chris, with regards from Jackie and Don Feinstein

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Staying here = best idea ever! So glad I skipped the conference hotel for this. First time in Amsterdam. Stayed at the Tulip 5 nights. LOVED IT. The B&B was a real home away from home: cozy, friendly, full of flavor and hospitality. The building is a beautifully renovated Dutch house facing a canal. Great location (within walking distance of everything, from train station to the Rijksmuseum), phenomenal atmosphere: frankly, you cannot find something better than this to get the real feel of the city. Our room windows faced a lovely, small and quiet inner courtyard. David was incredibly helpful (maps, advice, recommendations etc.), always available to answer questions and provide any needed details before our arrival and during our stay. The room was clean and full of all kinds of neat surprises - all complimentary: mini fridge (with fruit juice and yogurt inside), traditional Dutch cookies, mini-chocolates, bottled water, an excellent coffee maker and several kinds of coffee to pick from, tea, a bottle of delicious South African red wine - that's right! not a typo - with wine glasses! The breakfast was self-serve in a fully equipped, wonderfully arranged kitchen: fresh eggs, Dutch cheeses and breads, meats, cherry tomatoes, fruit, cereal, coffee, milk, fruit juice... Loytje, the majestic resident cat, will greet you upon arrival, as well as every morning at breakfast. I cannot wait to return to Amsterdam and stay at the Tulip again! As for you, lucky ones who are now at the Tulip, don't forget to try the famous (and absolutely delicious) raw herring in Nieuwmarkt and leave your window open to enjoy the half-hour carillon concerts from Zuiderkerk on Tuesday and Saturday evenings (they start at 7pm). You're welcome. :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LeCoeurLeger
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were so fortunate to stay 6 nights. The location near the heart of Amsterdam was perfect. Chris and David helped us with maps, suggestions of where to eat, and what to see. The rooms were clean, the self-serve breakfast provided both continental and Dutch foods. I loved the Dutch cheeses, meats and fresh bread. Every detail from ample food to clean sheets were anticipated and provided. The steep, spiral stairs, the old world interior details, and the large windows enhanced our visit by allowing us to experience living in an authentic Amsterdam house.
It was all we hoped for and more.

Jere