“Nice simple hotel for a city trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Gallery Hotel

Art Gallery Hotel
Ranked #297 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Oost-Souburg
“Nice simple hotel for a city trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Located perfectly close to the rijksmuseum and city center this hotel gives good value for money. The rooms are basic with nice soft beds. Be prepared to walk a few steep stairs! Staff was nice and friendly. The bathroom is somewhat less then basic and the tv didnt work very well. But since we came for the city and a quiet night was all we needed we were perfectly happy with our stay

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Claudia_tripje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
wallasey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Art Gallery and thoroughly enjoyed it. The reception staff were very helpful, we were going to a concert in the Ajax stadium and enquired about the best route. The receptionist wasn't sure about it but by the time we got back in the afternoon she had planned it on a map. The stairs are a pain and very steep but worth it for the fantastic views. We found that Leidsplein square ( 2 mins walk) had everything they have in Dam square, but cheaper. Right by the museum area, it's perfect to be close enough to walk to everything but far enough to not be kept awake with the noise. It's about a twenty minute walk from the train station, if you remember to turn left before the flower Market, not after it!. The room was comfortable with en suite bathroom, clean and fresh towels left on the bed. Would benefit from coffee/tea facilities but other than that a really nice little hotel, we got what we paid for and a bit more.

Room Tip: If you have the legs and stamina go for 4th floor. They seem to be en suite and great views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bewilderedofwallasey
Ramsgate, Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

You get what you pay for. A bed. Very cramped rooms, narrow steep stairs, no lift, few windows, and understaffed. But the staff who are there seem to be trying hard to make the best of things. Yes, the hotel should probably spend money upgrading everything, and set on a few more staff. But if they did that, they would probably up the price. Amsterdam is a very costly city, no doubt about it, and it is good that there is a place like this with affordable prices.

Room Tip: Tricky. The higher you go, the more stairs you have to lug your cases up. But on the other hand, y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here for two nights, just before my return to the UK, at the end of a three week holiday in mainland Europe and was glad that I had made my booking.

Although my room wasn't very large (and I didn't mind this as I was travelling solo and only needed somewhere to sleep) I was really impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff, during both night and day shifts, and the warmth of atmosphere in the hotel.

The location is excellent - only a 5 minute walk from the Leidseplein Square with all of its bars and restaurants and tram lines - and the hotel is housed in a lovely old building.

And finally, my bed was probably the softest and comfiest which I've enjoyed in a long time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Oakland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Avoid the basement rooms! We were lucky to get moved out of that dank, airless place onto the 3rd floor. Still just a tiny room looking across the narrow lightwell to the opposite room, but higher up with more air and a little light.
If you think you are getting a canal view, you had better absolutely confirm it!!! I am not sure ANY have that view, and a few 'deluxe' rooms at least have an outside view.

Room Tip: Don't get put into a basement room! And unless you don't care, confirm that you are getting...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Okay okay okay so I've never written a review before but this hotel p*%#ssed me right off !!! The location is good-ish but it is very pricey for what u get. SO I booked the hotel thinking yeah it's exeownsive but I am so jetlagged and tired I want to sleep. Check in time is 1pm I get tere at 1:30 he sais oh no no not for another hour you won't be ready so I go do something for an hour, keeping in mind I booked this so I can sleep my jetlagg off and this is why I psi so much. After an hour I go back he sais "no not even close to being ready come back in another hour"so I go lay in a park for an hour . I come back and he said "no we are not ready but I will give you another room because you're so tired " so he gives me a room. I go up the stairs which are the most narrow steep stairs I have ever seen . I lug up 30kgs behind me (I am 20and 49kgs) &veey skinny and web I had to turn on my side and walk up. SO. I get to the room the door is open the sheets are on the floor the room itself is tiny there are towels in the shower on the floor the mattress is stained and there's rubbish on te floor. I lug all my stuff back down the stairs and say look man I am not staying here . I have been all over the world in the worst backpackers imaginable and am not materialistic ATALL I am a 20year old girl and travel a lot. I have slept in rooms with 20peoole all on their phones and don't see this as a problem but this is by far the worst hotel experience of my life and not to mention the room itself was so small and wired &there was a single toilet about 30cms in front of my door where some old man would just stand and look into my room. For the price they are asking forget about it . Do not stay here . Go get a nice hotel in the middle of Amsterdam for this price. This is horrible I have never written a review before but this needs to be warned. Management did not care, staff had no idea what they were doing and if it sais checkin at 1on the website you'd think there's be check in at 1 and not 4:30. Sorry about spelling mistakes on my phone. 19july 2013

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank AustraliaB2013
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay, it felt like a family hotel.
They let me sleep a little longer on checkout time which was much appreciated!
Shower was big and good hot water stream.
Reception is 24\7 available and they always request to save the key for you, if for someone that matters...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo