“WE had fun”

Ranked #340 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
greece
“WE had fun”
Reviewed April 14, 2011

GReat location. Close to the centre. Next to Volderpark.
Mediocre rooms.
Excellent breakfast in a cozy basement.
Great staff

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nikikli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Roma, Italia
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I unfortunately reserved a double room with bathroom in this hotel. When we arrived there in the morning they told us that the room was not available yet, but it was not even available at 4PM, while at 6PM we discovered that they had only two single rooms, without bathroom, available only for one day, even if my reservation was for two days.

The day after, the receptionist found another accomodation for us, but she asked me to pay the full rate,without considering that I already anticipated some money to the reservation internet site.

Beside this, when I refused to pay the full rate (more than the money that I was supposed to pay, also considering that the room had no bathroom) the receptionist started to argue and to be angry

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank bennyuais

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Personally I found the location good as there were numerous clubs, restaurants and stores very close to the hotel. The railway station was a bit far, but not an impossible distance away.

The rooms were extremely small, we had difficulties fitting out luggage in, and the bathroom door could not be properly opened because of the bed. However, we didn't see this as a big minus, as we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. I would have wished for the rooms to be cleaned, however.

The breakfast was ok, the breakfast room could have been a lot bigger though. The staff was very nice and helpful, and all in all we were definitely happy with the hotel, until our departure.

On our departure day we checked out of the room but left our luggage to the hotel as our flight was to leave only later and we wanted to still go walk around the area. When we came back, we were told that there was a problem, following by the manager blaming us for stealing a blanket from one of the beds. We were shocked to say the least, and convinced that there had been a mistake. As we did not confess to the crime we were accused of (we definitely had no reason or need to steal a blanket), the manager threatened to call the police. As it was only a blanket and we did not want to miss our flight because of it, we had to pay 40 euros for a blanket we did not steal.

Other than this incident, I was happy with the hotel, but definitely don't recommend it to anyone, as I do not want anyone else to be blamed for stealing.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank niina
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed September 24, 2010

I stayed in Amsterdam only 2 nights, booking through Travel Bound a package for hotel and breakfast in Leidseplein area, which couldn't have been more perfect for my needs. The hotel was conveniently located only across the canal from the Rijksmuseum, 3 blocks from the Leidseplein Square, also the Interliner #370 bus got me from Schiphol to the square area in under 40 minutes and for only $4 euro - as well it was a short jaunt from this bus stop & tram stops at the square, so it was super easy to take trams #2 or #5 to Centraal and Damrak. The night auditor, Ramses, was super accomodating and highly entertaining, his impressions of the Godfather left me in stitches. My room, a single located on the 2nd floor, was behind an extra doorway and through a very dark short hall, I felt rather like "Ann Frank", staying behind a cupboard, and this tended to make my short Amsterdam stay even more atmospheric. The room was all I needed as I was not 'in' much, the bathroom was only just past my 'cupboard' entryway and was clean & neat as a pin. The entire hotel was neat, smallish and very European in every way; breakfast buffet was ample and the nook in the lower basement area was simply perfect! From this location I could easily walk to the square, where as I said, trams and buses could take you anywhere easily, also nearby was a canal tour pick-up point, only 1/2 block from the hotel. I went to Boom Chicago, at the Leidsepleintheatre, and thoroughly enjoyed their Improv Show as well as the friendly staff. I also easily and cheaply rented a bike (Mac Bike) only 2 blocks from hotel and was able to cover entire Vondelpark, AlbertCuypstraat and other areas handily. The 100-highlight Holland International canal tour was GREAT. I will enjoy staying at Art Gallery Hotel again and hope to visit some museums on the next tour, when I'll be sure to book an entire WEEK!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank LMCinVB
Marina di Massa, Italy
Reviewed November 29, 2009

I've been stayed at Art Gallery Hotel from the 18th to the 22nd of November with my husband and a couple of friends with a 6years child. The strategic position of this Hotel and the buffet-breakfast are two very interesting key-points, the Hotel is a two stars of category (in Italy it'd be a three probably) , we stayed at the top floor, room quite large and confortable (with bathroom), not noisy.
The Hotel doesn't have a lift so you have to "climb" stairs. The breakfast is served at the lower floor, good and "large" with many things to eat both sweet and salty, you can have coffee in great quantity.
The staff is really friendly and kind.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Masoni M
Lismore, Ireland
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We stayed in a budget-hotel "The Art Gallery" on Weteringschans opposite the Rijksmuseum. Very good value at €75,- for a decent doom en-suite with breakfast. The receptionist Mohammed was the sort of person EVERY accommodation should have. Truly an excellent ambassador for any establishment. He was the very personae of help, charm, attentive to detail that makes staying there a feeling of security and well-being. The hotel is a very typical Amsterdam building one like many I've painted during my 12yrs running a repair and decorating company in Amsterdam. It has small steep narrow staircases and many Europeans to say nothing of N. Americans would baulk at the stairs, however for those on a budget and for younger travellers I can't recommend the Art Gallery (0031 (0)503175510) highly enough. 100 meters from Rijksmuseum with the van Gogh and the Stadelijk behind that - also the Concertgebouw Concert Hall. Right behind the hotel is old Amsterdam with all one would ever want from it. To the right (East) is Liedseplein and to the left and south in the biggest street market in Europe - Albert Cuype - where I lived in the early 80's. Great place to walk , check out the goods (mostly clothes now) and people and sample all the different (World) cuisine. A great hotel in a great city with buckets of ambiance. Say Hi to Mohammed for me.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pfiddle56
Greece
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I stayed in the hotel with a friend for 4 nights (Sep 2009) and I paid 83€ per night/ two people. It was our first time in Amsterdam so we were looking for a cheap hotel just for "sleeping" that means that we didn't spend much time in it. The specific hotel almost met our expectations given Amsterdam standards (limited space, small rooms, narrow stairs, usually no elevators, high hotel rates etc).

More specifically, we stayed in a room on the ground floor next to the reception desk. The room was smaller than we thought (even if we were aware that it would be a small double room). There was a very small wardrobe in it, an office table, one chair, one armchair and a TV. The bathroom was not so small in comparison with the room.

Unfortunately, the room was no sunny and no sound- isolation. Every time the receptionist was talking with anyone or somebody entering the entrance we clearly heard him (most probably that happened the other way around too). In addition to this, the rest of the rooms were upstairs and we noticed that the stairs were very narrow and there was no elevator. The breakfast room was in -1 level so we had to use a few stairs ourselves and realised how tired it could be for all those staying in higher levels.

Besides these annoying matters, we acknowledge that this was the cheapest room we found in the area on the requested dates so we didn't demand 5* service and facilities. The hotel was generally clean, we had clean towels upon our arrival, hot water late at nights, soap in the bathroom, good breakfast with a nice variety (ham, cheese, jam, chocolate, fruits, bread, juices, water, coffee etc,), kind staff, internet (charged 5€ due 24:00), convenient location (5 minutes on foot from leidseplein station, 5 minutes on foot from a cruise-boat station adn heineken building, 5 minutes away on foot from Rijkmuseum, 20 minutes on foot from Dam square).

I would recommend it only to those who need just a cheap place to have a rest.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends