New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Skip the Line: Amsterdam and Holland Pass
Ranked #44 of 466 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This is an Amsterdam-based extension of Russia's famed Hermitage Museum. Thera are three exceptional collections to be seen: - The first is from one of the world's largest and most famous museums: the Hermitage in St Petersburg. The museum of the Tsars, with more than three million objects. From 18 Jun intil 15 Jan 2017: Catharine the Greatest. Selfpolished Diamond of the Hermitage. - Exhibit two: Portriait Gallery of the Golden Age - wonderful Dutch group portraits from the Amsterdam Museum and Rijksmuseum collections. - Exhibit three: Outsider Art Museum - We show work from new and absolutely orginal artists, from the collections of Het Dolhuys museum.
Brno, Jihomoravsky Kraj, Czech Republic
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Absolutely beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I am so happy that I didn't skip this museum and now I feel I need to go to St. Petersburg see more.. see all. In time I visited there was exhibition "Monet to Cezane" I think and it was just perfect. The rooms are huge so even the really big pictures have enough space.
The only thing - I wish you to come in time with just short queue.

Visited July 2013

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“The Van Gogh's were on the road”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I'll admit I only went because the Van Gogh museum (November 2012) was closed for renovation and the paintings were on the road. I'll also admit I didn't have even half the time needed to properly view the exhibits. But from what I did see, they had a good portion of the Van Gogh collection (the bedroom, sunflowers, a self-portrait), though I don't know if they were simply on loan and a very good Impressionist exhibit.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank GeeBee80
Montreal, Canada
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Another beautiful museum to see....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

... it is a branch of the Hermitage in St-Petersbourg located in a building that was an elderly men and women on the Amstel River. Well worth a visit to see the permanent exhibits, the rooms, and the special exhibition Gauguin, Bonnard, Denis.
A Russian Taste for French Art. Take the audio guide to improve the visit and enjoy the superb sourroundings. Do not miss seeing the rest of the beautiful building and have a snack at the Neva café restaurant.

Visited January 2014
Utica, New York
1,099 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 610 helpful votes
“Great exhibit of the Nabis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Art historian here. My wife liked it less than I but I loved the idea of creating an exhibition based upon the original Hermitage's holdings. Whether you enjoy it will depend, I suppose, on the exhibit that happens to be in place when you are in Amsterdam. Huge spaces, good lighting, interesting exhibition materials. A museum with money to spend that spends it well. Certainly there are more interesting fuller-scale museums to visit in Amsterdam but if the Hermitage's exhibition is of interest to you, you'll thoroughly enjoy this museum. The Museumkaart, a must if you visit several museums in Amsterdam, provides free admission without waiting.

Visited December 2013
The Hague, The Netherlands
356 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 548 helpful votes
“A bit mixed feelings... it really depends which exhibitions they have..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

This weekend I went to the Hermitage for the second time and I have to say it left me a bit with mixed feelings. On one hand it is a nice building well renovated to house a museum such as the Hermitage on the other hand I was a bit disappointed (the first time however I really enjoyed it, but that's almost two years ago).

The Museum is split in a few parts, two wings house exhibitions, one shows the history of this old building and has a concert hall which was in use when I was there this weekend (a nice concert which we could attend for free as it is included in the price) and one wing is used for the restaurant and the entrance.

Now if you have a nice exhibition which covers both wings then it will take you approx. two hours/ two hours and a half, however in this case there was one nice exhibition (in fact very nice) about French painters such as Gauguin, Bonnard and Denis (which was very crowded). It covered one wing, both floors... And then on the other side there was Russian modern art which I (and many other visitors) didn't like at all.....

Overall they can have great exhibitions in which case it is well worth your money, specially when they have a concert like the one of this weekend, however do check first, because that mondern art was not my thing at all and then you can feel a bit cheated.....

I also have the feeling that they could house much more, I hope that in the future they will make more and better use of all the space they have!.

For those who love the French painters/artists... Do go, that part is really worth it!.

Visited December 2013