1,007 results
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 9, 2009

The hotel has a great location, is close to everything! The rooms are quite small, and have bunk beds. It is and looks old. The staff is nice and helpfull. The bathroom was not very clean. It was expensive compared to what you received. The breakfast was nice and unexpected.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank luchy1309
Reviewed February 24, 2009

My main problem with this place was that my bed sheet had blood on it - not a stain, not brown, but fresh red! How I didn't notice this until the 3rd night I don't know. I then changed the sheet for another in the room.

The room was insecure- At the top of the room was an opening into the next room which could easily be climbed into. It should have been blocked by mesh but was broken. This also meant we could hear everything next door and vice versa. Could hear people across the corridor too - especially when they started talking at 3am and smoking tobacco. With no window this was a problem, it's also illegal. Woken by people coming back at 5am another night. You can hear every footstep.
Floor dirty- curling carpet tiles. However the showers were good.

I booked a twin room, we were given a 3 bunk bed dorm room in the basement for our sole use- no window, but that didn't make much difference as the whole place was covered in sheeting. Had trouble finding it as the whole place was covered in scaffolding and sheets!

Extremely cheap 12.50 Euros pppn, I see this has gone up to 25 Euros now and no way would I be happy paying that with the experience I had.

Breakfast ok - help yourself mad scramble. You get what you pay for but you'd also get this if you pay 25 Euros!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank mcmerry
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Ignore the bad reviews in here!! There's no such bad things happen. Its a nice Cheap Hotel. The staff is very helpful and great breakfast. The room and toilet - tidy and very clean. The location is very strategic, near public transport and the surrounding area is awesome. Recommended to stay here. Will look forward to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ziamatt
Reviewed January 5, 2009

My God people! We got a twin 'room'..more like a closet! Now when we read reviews of this place my friend and I thought people were being picky. But really, we were on the top floor, that was 5 flights of stairs and no lift!

The sink in our room was blocked with ash and tobaco (non smoking 'hotel' it is not) and every time we brushed our teeth the water wouldn't go down but the crap stuck in it it.

We had to share the shower and toilet with the whole floor. To be fair, the shower was nice and clean and always hot. The toilet was gross. People were getting sick into it all weekend and it was NEVER cleaned. I had to resort to cleaning it as much as I could myself before I used it (bleach was left above the toilet but never used).

Every morning at around 10am the cleaners would knock on all of the doors asking if you were leaving. Really annoying.

The hotel is in the middle of the party district which is good if you like that. Also it is walking dist (less than 10-15mins) away from Van Gogh and Reick Museum and the Anne Frank House. It's on a good tram route to town (€1.60).

I think the only good thing about the place was that the beds were comfy!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank caillin_deas
Reviewed July 22, 2008

On a trip to Britain in July of 2008, I decided at the last minute to go to Amsterdam for five nights instead of London. So I booked a room online (I thought) and flew to Amsterdam. I arrived at the Marnix around 11:30 p.m. My first impression wasn't good. The attractive looking exterior shown in photos was anything but attractive; graffiti covered the building at street level and there were a couple of really creepy-looking guys just hanging out in front of the building. The front door was wide open, with no evidence that it was a security door. Inside, what struck me upon entering the check-in room was the stench of rotting food or garbage (rotting meat and sour milk comes to mind). The front-desk clerk was obnoxious and rude, telling me that I didn't have a reservation. (As it turns out, that was lucky for me.) At least he was helpful in pointing out a hotel next door, where I did take a room. (Honestly, I didn't feel like wandering around a new city at midnight, luggage in tow, looking for a room.)

This place should not be charging the rates it does for rooms and it really should advertise itself as a hostel, not a hotel. Having said that, even if I were 18 and on a much more limited budget, I can't imagine me staying in such a disgusting place.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo