“It was not a bad hotel”

Ranked #336 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Kajang, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
“It was not a bad hotel”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Current rating of Marnix hotel is pretty low and I find that surprising given my near flawless 2-nights experience there.

Room and the shared bathroom are very clean. The heater/radiator working fine, as well as the hot shower with pressure. One setback there is no elevator which is quite a hassle if you travel with heavy baggage but a none-issue if otherwise.

Location is just perfect. Ramplein tram stop just across the street in front of the hotel. Very convenient

If you are on religious diet, you can find some halal Turkish doner kebab or Indonesian cuisine around the area. They can be reached either by walking or take the tram one stop away

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I'd read several negative reviews on TripAdvisor that were pretty disturbing, but the cheap b**tard in me prevailed and I decided to take the plunge for the sake of the unbelievable price - 79€ for two nights in mid-Jan.

En route to the 'hotel' (term loosely applied), I spoke with a few locals who expressed utter disbelief at the price, considering the fantastic location. It was also then I realised that this was more of a 'hostel' than a hotel. It did not help that a bartender I showed my booking slip to made a few jokes about the movie 'Hostel' (which did wonders for the tourism industry in eastern Europe, I'm sure) and commented on how I reminded him of the Japanese tourist who had her eyeballs melted by the blowtorch. Thanks, buddy, really.

By then I was overrun with fears of having my organs stolen (because my 'stunningly good looks' ensured that this was a greater possibility than my chances of being trafficked into drug prostitution), and upon arriving at the hotel address, I found that it was separated into two buildings - one containing the rooms, and the other for check-in. What was this?! Was I going to die here?

Thankfully, my fears were assuaged by the friendly staff at the check in. I was then shown to my room, which contained sleeping quarters for 3 (1 bunk bed + 1 single) and fresh towels. Very spartan, but nothing to complain about for a no-frills accommodation.

There was a private shower space inside the room but it didn't have a door and was separated from the rest of the bedroom by a plastic shower curtain, Norman Bates not included. What was also not included was a rack to hang your towels or clothes, so I had to place them on a chair outside the shower area.

As expected, toiletries and hairdryers were not provided, and the sink was located outside the shower area next to the bunk bed.

The toilet was shared by other guests on the same floor, but it was clean and well-kept.

The beds were pristine and bedbug-free. Unlike what other guests had experienced, there was no "wet dog" smell. Occasionally, the smell of pot would waft up from the streets outside, but that's only because of the hotel's close proximity to The Bulldog and other coffeeshops.

I found the reception staff very helpful, especially when asking for directions to popular tourist spots (yes, they speak decent English!). I later found that they were unnecessary because the hotel was located within walking distance of almost everything – the Anne Frank museum, Leidseplein shopping district, Rijksmuseum, Vondelpark, Van Gogh museum etc.

We were able to use the Internet in the common room by the reception area and I am pleased to report that I was able to safely check-out with my organs intact.

TL;DR: You get what you paid for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Ok let me begin by saying, this is Amsterdam. Stairs are steep in all the old buildings and there are no lifts. We stayed on the 3rd floor in room 301. There were stairs, they aren't that bad.

Also everywhere in Amsterdam charges a city tax, its around 5%, this is never added to the price of the room and is always added when you get there. We paid cash so i'm not sure about extra credit card charges mentioned.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who let us into the room early, the reception area was clean and there were two vending machines some toilets and a seating area where breakfast was served, we didn't have breakfast but the area was clean. We were given a key card each which was needed to get into the building and the room.

The building smelt like air freshener, not like sick or wet dog like somebody mentioned!

Now the room, it was a tiny room for 3 people, one bunk bed, one single bed. Not much room, one window that was easy to open and one radiator that meant even though it was freezing outside, the room was lovely and toasty. The only other things in our room were a mirror, a box of tissues, a bin, a table and a chair and two power sockets (Tip: bring a 4 plug with you and a converter plug- instant extra power!).

The lighting was ok with two lights. One shared toilet per floor (3 rooms on a floor I think) that was clean (and had toilet paper!) but there was no hand soap. The shower was nice and clean and warm.

Somebody mentioned the shower wasn't very powerful but it was fine, theres a little handle on the shower head that lets you change the power.

Finally the beds were SPOTLESS. They were clean, crisp and white. The towels were spotless. We had new towels delivered the second day we were there. There was no bedbug bites on any of us in the room as per another reviewer said. One thing to note though was that the top bunk had no ladders so you had to jump up, also no railings so there would be a decent drop for anybody that sleep dances. I don't know if this is the same for all the rooms but I presume it is.

The location was fantastic with Melkweg club less than a two minute walk away and Dam Square a 10 minute walk with LOADS of shopping around.

We couldn't get the wifi to work but theres a hotel over the road called backstage hotel, we could get a pretty decent wifi connection off them (no password!).

It was quite loud but easy enough to sleep through, nothing worse than in any other city centre.

After reading the reviews about Marnix we were absolutely dreading staying here but we had already booked it, we were all pleasantly surprised its a clean comfy place to get your head down miles cheaper than a lot of the other hotels in the area.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Devon
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

If your ideal stay is one where there are bed bugs, rude and unpleasant staff, un- hygienic facilities, dirty rooms and ridiculous prices - come here!! This is the absolute pits, I have never stayed somewhere so foul. It ruined our trip to Amsterdam, leaving us bitten, dirty and like the staff had completely abused us,

Don't stay here

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

The place is dirty, rooms are very small and crowded. We got a room with broken toilet and after reporting to the front desk no one came and fixed it.
Shower is very dirty with no steady stream of hot water. Water pressure is ridiculous. ..
No cleaning service for the room.
The room is very dark and the light is insufficient (it feels like a flashlight light).

Read VERY CLOSELY the fine print. When we ordered the hotel it says in the receipt free breakfast included and including tax - when we to the hotel they charged us extra for taxes (about 50 euro more then what was expected) and apparently the breakfast costs 5? per person.

My advice to you - stay away!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The confusion in some of the reviews is that the property seems to operate in two distinct models. A hotel with private facilities and a hostel with 4-12 beds in each room. I stayed here last month for 2 nights and never having stayed in a hostel before was "fearing the worst"after reading some of the reviews.
I checked in early afternoon and was allocated a bed in a 6 bedded room with a private shower room. The room was basic and not very well decorated but the bed was comfortable and both the sheets and towels were immaculate as was the shower room and toilet. All the reception staff were very friendly and gave great advice on finding local supermarkets and attractions. The lower ground floor area next to the reception was good for relaxing with other guests and you could use the fridge, microwave and utensils for your own food and drink I bought locally a bottle of wine for just over 2 euros, a microwaveable ready meal for the same and can of lager for 50 cents ( the average price was 5 euros in a bar).
Yes, the entrance to the room was back outside, next door down and yes, the tread on the stair was very narrow and quite steep because it is an old building and yes, my room was under the stairwell leading up to the 2nd and 3rd floors so I could hear people going up to their rooms and yes the hall areas had cheap laminate so it was noisy to walk on and yes, the wifi seemed to be problematic the further you were away from reception, but I didn't come to Amsterdam to sit on a computer/facebook/twitter, but it was all worth it because for the price I paid I couldn't have pitched a tent at a camping site.
I believe that the rack rate in some of the private rooms is around 100 euros a night and for what I saw that is completely overpriced but if you are lucky and have some nice quiet/friendly room mates then you could have a pleasant stay for around a TENTH of that. I did, but maybe I was just lucky!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back had no road side noise issues