“Avoid like the plague”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Galerij
Ranked #322 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We were here in October and booked three nights. As soon as we arrived we thought it looked rather dingy in the lobby, but once we made it to the room we were absolutely disgusted.

Feces stains on the floor, blood stains, and about a dozen other stains I don't even want to think what they are from. These stains looked new and unwashed. The double bed mentioned on hotels.ca was actually two cots with more than half the springs completely missing or broken. The thin mattress was touching the floor and it was dirty. The sheets were dirty, and they had a few large holes.

We tried to save a few bucks after a long trip, but I would have rather slept on a park bench in the rain than stay there.

We asked reception for a refund, they refused. We asked to speak to the manager or owner, they refused (although we discovered later the guy who was refusing was either the owner or manager).

Eventually after piles of emails and calls to hotels.ca we got a full refund for all three nights since the hotels description was not accurate at all. We had to send them pictures. We found another nice hotel for the same price and it was in a nice residential neighbourhood near Leidseplein.

Unless you are on an extremely strict budget and have absolutely no standards on where you sleep, I would avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShaneL79

Reviewed February 28, 2010

It is how it is described in the web.
Stayed at single room. Small and clean, a bit worn out bed linen. Breakfast just bread and marmalades, even not a toaster...
Location is good and renovation is actually going, painting and some refurnishing.
Officially one star but in European standard I would make this low standard hotel better lovely hostel and with some en-suites. Service is OK. And the price is key factor. Stairs are sportish it has it own atmosphere

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank citybike
Reviewed January 30, 2010

It was really good..in the middle of the city..very very cheap..they take and park your car at a reasonable price and you can smpke too..i'll b back to amsterdam and defenetly to this hotel

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheKike
Reviewed April 19, 2008

I read the reviews and they scared me a little but the price was so cheap and after all, it was Amsterdam. I didn't care about the size of the room, just cleanliness and that it wasn't. The room itself was not large but not as small as others in Europe. We were on the top floor and did have to climb all the spiral stairs to the top with luggage but had anticipated this already. It's a canal house afterall so it did make it a bit charming. One of the front desk men was nice, the other a little suspicious. The carpet was absolutely the dirtiest I have ever seen. Stains everywhere, no telling from what exactly. I'm not a picky person generally, a clean room with a bed and a warm shower (which we did have) is usually all it takes to satisfy me and it was almost obtained - but it just wasn't clean. Yes, the staff came in and changed the bed linens and put new towels in the bath and took out the trash, but the mattresses were stained and again, the carpet filthy. The towels didn't smell fresh and the blankets on the bed were never washed - I don't mean while we were staying there but I think quite possibly EVER. I wished we would have spent more money for a cleaner room I'm sorry to say.
We did not indulge in the breakfast, but Sara's Pancakes next door was the best thing about this hotel! The location in general was great just wouldn't ever do it again. This was my least favorite hotel in all of Europe. I felt like I needed a shower after the shower, I actually wore flip flops in it. In one word - "ICK"

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Tlee34
Reviewed April 10, 2008

I stayed here with two friends and we didn't pay very much for the hotel. Just as well we didnt as its basically a B&B masquerading as a hotel. We were on the top floor which meant climbing loads of steep stairs which wasnt enjoyable with baggage but it wasnt the end of the world.

The room was a decent enough size with a good shower but the carpet was littered with dubious-looking stains and the bedsheets didnt fit too well. I had the misfortune of sharing the double bed with a mate and the bed was pretty small it must be said, although it wasn't uncomfortable.

We didnt sample the inclusive breakfast as we woke up rather late, but we did notice a nasty whiff at the foot of the stairs by the entrance door.

In summary, the hotel is pretty grubby and not for those who are after luxury or even budget chain hotel standards. But for a few mates who only washed, changed and slept at the hotel, it fitted the bill adequately without rinsing our wallets. It is without doubt the worst hotel i've stayed in, but you get what you pay for and we really didnt pay much for it so we cant complain.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank dinpy
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I stayed here as a friend booked the hotel as part of a weekend away. This was the worst 2 nights accommodation of my life, the place was filthy and left me traumatised.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Barneymorton
Reviewed January 3, 2008

We were worried about staying at this hotel after reading the previous reviews but have been pleasently surprised by the standard of the hotel!!

We stayed in a double room and it was impeccibly clean and serviced everyday. It was also an ensuite room!! The bed was also very comfy!!

The staff were friendly and helpful and although we didnt have the breakfast (late nights!!) it smelt lovely every morning!!

There are a few stairs to climb as in the other reviews but that is the same everywhere in Amsterdam. The church bells werent loud enough to bother us in our room.

Would definately stay here again.

Stayed: January 2008