“Bitten By Bed Bugs”
Review of Hotel Old Quarter

Hotel Old Quarter
Ranked #295 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 22, 2009

A week after staying at the Old Quarter I am still trying to get rid of more than twenty bites. After consulting my doctor he told me that I had been bitten by bed bugs and has presribed a course of antibiotics. Needless to say I am less than happy with my experience of staying here. In addition to bed bugs the rooms are very basic with stains on the wall and are very small. The location is good and the staff are friendly but the noise from the bar does permeate through to the rooms making sleep difficult. Its not a nice place to sleep in and I would never ever go back to stay but may pop into the bar again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BirminghamJimbo

Reviewed August 5, 2009

We make reservation for OLD QUARTER but they had rooms only for OLD HARBOUR . Bad, very bad . The room was 85 euros / night but a correct price would be 40-45.... They don't change the only electric bulb in the ceiling for 7 nights ( told them 4 times about the difference between 25 watts and 100). To collect the garbage from the room was very difficult fot them, so I solved the problem. The breakfast was so-so , the personal from the bar / desk reception was good and very good , but . There was no view from the windows and you have to be strong to manage the windows system for closing . Much too much noise in the night, but free internet . The furniture seems to be collected from others hotels when they change it. THIS IS NOT A HOTEL . Sorry, but these are the facts

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fantueng
Reviewed June 26, 2009

2 words: bed bugs!!!
got up after the first night to see little dots on the wall, when i squished one, blood came out! we moved out that night and even though the owner refunded our unused stay, he denied there being a problem "there were no eggs" as if getting bitten was OK. Even after the manager who went upstairs with me to look said "i thought we got rid of them" and pulled back the mattress to reveal a rather large one where my head was.
Even though i checked the room when we moved in, i guess they only come out when theres food! (you)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anonyomous
Reviewed June 18, 2009

we booked through easytobook.com as it was much cheaper than booking direct.the hotel is good value for money and has a lift which compared to the very steep narrow stairs that a lot of dam hotels have,was great.
we had a double room looking over damrak,it had tv and own bathroom and was sufficient for our needs.hotel bar shuts at 1 but opposite bar shuts at 3.
i emailed the hotel direct to check my booking and they replied confirming my room.
i have stayed in many hotels in dam and i would not hesitste in going back to this one.
have fun its easy when there.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2009

My friends and I stayed at the Old Quarter during our backpacking trip last March. First of all, the hotel misplaced our reservation (we had a print out confirmation) and ended up making a call and putting us up in the "Hotel Shagen" down the street which they claimed was part of their hotel. It was one room with about 8-10 twin size cots. It looked like somewhere you'd stay in sleep over camp minus the sounds of crackling fires and crickets... instead we were serenaded by the sounds of loud drunks and a noisy bar across the street. The shower in the room overflowed and flooded entire bathroom every time. We were told by the staff that this happens everywhere in Amsterdam which was not the case as we asked several locals for confirmation. The bathroom also had a window that was directly across from a large balcony (I think it may have been part of a restaurant or bar) that looked directly into our bathroom. No big deal... except our bathroom did not have any shades or curtains. We ended up rigging up makeshift curtains using towels. The only good thing about this hotel was the location. It was located basically in the red light district and was close to everything. Granted it was probably not the safest location but we were traveling in a group of 4 and felt relatively safe. Oh and the free breakfast consisted of an egg/toast/tea/coffee every morning. We got sick of it around day 2 (didn't help that the waitress one day looked and sounded like she was dying of the plague) but still ate it because hey... you can't beat free when you're backpacking. It was not the worst place we stayed at during out trip but had the least value based on the cost. I should also say for the record that my friends and I are not picky... and we still would not stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank heyjup8ter
Reviewed May 19, 2009

The good:

Less than 5 minute walk from the train station and Damrack.

Very convenient to many attractions.

The bad:

The smallest rooms I have ever stayed in. The room was not even wide enough for two twin beds side by side. They were placed the long way.

Windows have gaps in them. Since the rooms were on top of the bar and across from other bars, it was extremely noisy and no way to muffle the sound.

Receptionist was also the bartender so service wasn't always the best

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ted C
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Room was small (but clean) and the location is great - close to Centraal train station and easy to find. The canal view was awesome. The shower in the shared bathroom was small but not horrible. The hotel below the pub is good, and staff are friendly.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends