“Solid gallery - see the Stephen Gill exhibition”

Foam - Photography Museum Amsterdam
Book In Advance
More Info
$45.53*
and up
Skip the Line: Amsterdam and Holland Pass
Ranked #80 of 503 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Foam enables people all over the world to experience and enjoy photography, whether it's at our museum in Amsterdam, on the website, via Foam Magazine or in our Editions Gallery.Completed in 1716, the building where Foam is situated - Keizersgracht 609 - first operated as a warehouse. In 2002 it became Foam and has since been a hotspot for photography lovers.Foam nurtures and shows upcoming artists in combination with exhibitions of well known photographers and historical work. It has a gallery, library, bookshop and cafe.
Oslo, Norway
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Solid gallery - see the Stephen Gill exhibition”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

If you want to see some art without queing up for two hours at one of the mastodont museums in Amsterdam, this is a good place to go.

FOAM has 2-3 changing photo exhibitions over two floors, and right now their Stephen Gill exhibtion is well worth a visit. Beatuful photography from the nit and grit of London's Hackney area over longer periods of time.

Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Waste of time and space”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I'm sorry.
I love art.
I love photography.
But I thought this was the most disappointing gallery I have ever seen.
Luckily, it's only ten minutes long and didn't waste too much valuable time.

Now,I'll try to be fair in case I am being ignorant.
I went on the 2nd May 2013 when there may have been a crap display.
So maybe there is normally something worthwhile there.
But on the 2nd may 2013 exhibition it was a bunch of amateur, low grade, snaps blown up to fill the walls.

There is so much fantastic photographic art in the world and I expected at least ONE piece of that to be at Foam. Nope!
Although I did see a couple of good postcards near the counter.

My recommendation?
Save your time and give it a miss.

Visited May 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Very nice museum”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Foam is not a traditional museum. There is no old camera's or stuff about the history of photography. You can see exabitions of pictures. We went to see an exabition of a japanes photographer who did a tour with a translator to explain the picturdes she made. It was really very intresting. In general it is not the type of museum I would take my child but if you are intrested in photography and have an open mind it is a very good place.

Visited March 2013
gourock
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“No museum.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am very interested in photography but found myself left empty. Thanks to the misleading name, we expected a museum, but instead found a gallery. The content was interesting enough and obviously, at any given time, one shouldn't judge a gallery on it's exhibits as they might not appeal. However, I felt this place lacked so much. Making allowance for the space available, I still couldn't help but compare this venue to the New York Institute of Photography, which projects photography in a very similar and simplistic way but to infinitely greater effect. My guess is, people will come here for a museum experience and be left wanting. As photography has become an everyman medium, FOAM has to try harder.

Visited March 2013
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Good”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

If you're into all aspects of photography: fine art, documentary, historical and contemporary, go and see this exhibition.