We (my wife and I) stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in April 2009. It's good value for money, and the rooms are comfortable (albeit a bit cramped), and if you are staying for a couple of nights, this hotel is a good choice. I found the staff to be professional and courteous, and all of them spoke good English. Couple of things which come to my mind:
(1) Location and accessibility: Go to maps.google.nl, and search for "Transformatorweg 36 - 1014 AK AMSTERDAM", this will give you an idea of the location of the hotel with respect to the city centre.
Bus 48, which runs between Station Sloterdijk and Centraal Station has a stop (Kabelweg) which is about a minute's walk from the hotel reception. The bus runs very 15 minute (on an average) on all days, and it takes about 15 minutes to reach the Centraal Station from the hotel.
(2) There is Burger King next door, which previously was open from 10:00 AM to midnight, **** but now is open only till 9 PM***. In fact, if you go BK's Dutch site and locate this restaurant (its the one at "Isolatorweg 25"), the timings shown are still 10:00-24:00. When we showed up at 9:30 PM, we were told that the timings have been changed, but the web site has not been updated. Only the drive-in is open till late.
(3) There is a restaurant/bar by the reception. The restaurant's kitchen is open till 10:30 PM, and the bar is open till 1 AM. The grub served at the restaurant is rather lackluster - avoid if possible.
(4) Reaching the airport : Bus 48 will take you to Station Sloterdijk (about 4 minutes), from where you will get a direct train to the Amsterdam airport (Schiphol), and this takes about 12 minutes. This travel option is cheap, reliable and fast. In contrast, the airport shuttle takes a very long time to reach the airport as it goes around a lot of hotels in town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ibis Amsterdam City West is a modern 3-star hotel located between the city center and the main business districts of Amsterdam. The hotel offers 180 rooms, a restaurant with bar and terrace and 24-hr snack service. The hotel is surrounded by free public parking (between 7pm and 9am during the week and all day long during the weekend). The bus stop to Amsterdam Central Station is in front of the door (runs 24-hrs a day). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, ACCOR, Odigeo and Hotwire so you can book your Ibis Amsterdam City West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Amsterdam City West Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor Amsterdam City West