“fantastic value for money!”

Amsterdam Hostel Uptown
Ranked #203 of 238 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 31, 2010

We were welcomed by Jon who was a helpful friendly guy and he upgraded us which was a little extra bonus to our Christmas break. The room was of a good size and bathroom was spacious which is unusual for Amsterdam. Overall cleanliness of the room was great and towels were changed every day ... fab!
We were given complete privacy during our stay and if reception had to contact us they did so via telephone which was great. Location of the hotel is fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed our walks around the area trying out different restaurants etc. Excellent fondue at The Pantry (just around the corner from Rookies) and fantastic noodle bar Wok to Walk also around the corner mmmmm
We will defo stay again at Rookies as we have always stayed at an apartment during our prior visits however we thoroughly enjoyed the homeliness of the Rookies both within the hotel and downstairs in the coffeeshop! The coffeeshop does the BEST hot chocolate in Amsterdam and believe us we tried A LOT of hot chocs during our cold winter break. The eggs in teh morning for breakfast must be also be mentioned and we thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast each morning filling us both up until our next snack attack! :D

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank loustu101Scotland
There are newer reviews for Amsterdam Hostel Uptown

Reviewed December 23, 2010

Do not think this is any more than a student hostel. It would be unfair not to mention upfront that the guy at the desk is exceptional in terms of helpfulness and warmth. However, that does not make up for the fact that I paid €117 for 1 night in a cramped, incredibly noisy (up to 4am! on a Friday night) room, albeit I understand the rooms at the back are quieter than those on the boulevard, which has a plethora of bars and restaurants. If I had paid €20-30 then I wouldn't expect much more.

You should be aware that the hotel is above a "coffee shop" which does give the whole hostel a distinct "Amsterdam odour"!

The room was very poorly lit so impossible to do any work and was very small, especially the bathroom (even for a hostel"). However, worse than that was the bed-bug bites I got, which struck me as being a sign of very poor cleanliness.

The location is good for Museums but do not expect to get any sleep at night if you're at the front!

I'm sorry but for the money you should get a lot more than this.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2010

part of a coffee shop so if your into this type of thing great if not still great as location in quite part which i like but not far away too busy area about 30 seconds away

would go back here for sure top place

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

The Rookies is a brilliant hotel. The room was clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The only negative is that the Coffee Shop downstairs doesn't serve beer. Hardly a complaint really! Highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Based on TripAdvisor reviews, I chose the Hotel Rookies in Amsterdam and I do not regret one minute. Before my arrival, I emailed John many times with many questions. He was always gracious and answered all my questions fully. Before arriving to the city, I receive an email from John stating that he had arranged transportation from the airport to the hotel. Great little surprise! Upon arrival at the hotel, I checked into my first room which was for me a bit noisy as it was facing the street. The next day, I was moved to a room on the 3rd flr in the back and that was just wonderful.While the steps are initially daunting, John was there to take my bags up to my room, both times, and then to the car upon my departure. He is such a lovely man! The morning breakfast was a great addition and John's scrambled eggs were the best. The hotel is close enough to everything but far enough from the hustle/bustle. I would strongly recommend this hotel as a great affordable option in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I had read the reviews on this site and liked the overall feel of this hotel. I had planned to stay for 7 nights so I called the hotel directly to see if I could get a better rate. The gentleman who answered, John, was more than helpful; we worked something out, and within 10 mins I was booked for the next evening. Upon arrival I was checked in by a staff member of the downstairs coffeeshop, to a clean although small, room on the 4th floor. A note was there welcoming me, promising to find me a room on a lower floor the next day.
The staff were incredible. Bright and early after an enjoyable breakfast on the roof terrace, (which became tradition) with the greatest coffee ever made, I was moved to a spacious, sunny, room on the 2nd floor. It had a flat screen TV, a small but meticulously cleaned bathroom, and all the amenities one would need for a week-long stay.
The location is in the less crowded part of town, which is somehow still bustling enough to be able to get a beer, a great smoke, an indian curry, catch a comedy show, walk to the park, visit a casino, and buy some clothes from H&M all within a couple of block radius.
Housekeeping was fantastic, John and the staff became friends, and the coffeeshop downstairs was my hangout. Was almost hesitant to write this review for fear of not being able to get a reservation next time =).....I will definitely visit again and again and again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank internationalguest
Reviewed July 31, 2010

the only hotel i have stayed in twice, one of the friendliest . but take your own kettle and cup.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family