New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Amsterdam Hostel Uptown

Amsterdam Hostel Uptown
Ranked #183 of 217 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Saratoga Springs, New York
“"If only our room weren't so filthy!"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in mid-April during which we tried our best to ignore the filthiness of our room. The floor looked as if it had not been vacuumed in weeks and the walls had remnants of spilled beverages stuck to them. Really, it is a shame because we would have been quite happy here had the room been clean.

We arrived quite a while before check-in time and asked to leave our luggage. The woman on duty was quite nice and allowed us to do that. While we waited, we stopped in Rookies. When the woman from the hotel saw us sitting outside the coffee shop, she informed us that our room was ready. We were quite surprised and pleased that it was ready so soon. When we were properly checked in, she impressively heaved our two suitcases up the narrow staircase to the second floor. I'm not sure that the cleaning staff was completely done in our room since I found the floor squeegee left in the bathroom, but at that point, we were really happy for a quiet, private place to pull ourselves together. If the cleaning staff was interrupted before they had finished, they never completed the job while we were there. They did, however, leave fresh towels for us each morning, so they should have noticed that at least the floor was in need of a sweep. The filthiness ruined what was a fine stay otherwise. The location was great--- close to the art museums and numerous eateries; it was the smoke friendly establishment which we were wanting and the staff was friendly. We did not complain of the lack of cleanliness while we were there. We probably should have instead of just bearing with it. We just kept saying to each other, "If only our room weren't so filthy!"

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank CarryLove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Stayed at the Rookies for 3 nights. Rooms are basic, but had bathroom and basic amenities. Right of a nice shopping/restaurant/metro stop (leidesplein). Coffee shop right next door, sells drinks, desserts and plenty of pot. Friendly pot/travelers staying there, lots of smell but if your a smoker its fine, just open your window. Basic breakfast came with room. In a coffee shop district, but not in what most people think of as the red light district with the girls, thats a 15/20 minute walk. Nice to be a little out of the way tho, and plenty of things to do in the immediate area, van gogh, other big museum i cant spell, tulip market... all in appropriate hotel for a wild couple days in amsterdam.

Room Tip: they all seemed about the same, except one on top floor looked maybe a little bigger.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BlackBlake
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The hotel is very well located, close to Leidsplein. If you have large and heavy luggages, be prepared to take them upstairs. In my case, the reception desk man helped me and it was okay. Rooms smelled like cigarretes and bathrooms were in flood after a few minutes of shower. The bed is comfortable and the breakfast is nice. The staff in this hotel is very nice. I went in the winter, so I could not really enjoy the balcony outside. At nights, it was easy to hear noisy groups talking out loud. Anyway, the price is good in Amsterdam´s standards and it was okay for me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I said I would be back so here I am, arrived 22nd Nov & stayed till 24th, came back for Cannabis Cup with friends,my friends went onto "the mushrooms"(nightmare) & I stuck with the weed(oh yes!), this stay we had 2 (newly renovated & spotless rooms), both were renovated to a high standard.As ever, the staff are second to none.Free Wi-Fi in rooms & downstairs coffee shop still a nice bonus. As we say "I just can`t get enough" of this very friendly Hotel.Hoping to be back in March for a HOOT!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Glenn S
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

=== The best value for your buck except the WiFi ===
Receptionists Lisa for the check-in and John for bfast + check-out were very customer-oriented and very nice. Emails quick to be responded.

My single room (a good deal at 65 EUR on booking.com) was excellent, recently renovated, practical and super clean, private toilet/bathroom efficiently designed, heaters heated up quickly and hard. No street noise problem (low season) but anyway, I usually don't care.
I noticed the carefull setup of the room and amenities for the coming guest (bed, towels, soaps and details).

The included bfast was basic but good and sufficient for me, and matches perfectly the low price I paid; John first asks you wether you want some eggs and how you like them and bring it within minutes; the bfast room is small but enough for me as I was alone is this low season however I wonder when it's fully booked... Howerver, usually the guests here are supposed to be "cool" (it should be mandatory)...

=== BAD ===
The WiFi didn't work at all. Using my smartphone, even close to the Router/Access Point at the reception with Lisa (who re-booted it for me), the hotel network didn't even appear in the network list... Same downstairs with the devices from their staff. A pity. I would have quoted 10/10 if the Internet was working. In such a small hotel, cabling by ethernet would not cost much and would generate a big plus in their business.
So... not really a bad deal compared the overall great quality/price. As long as you know in advance that you won't may be able to get on the net from the hotel, you can plan in advance to use public or private internet services (museums, Starbuck etc.).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Gabba8
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Second stay at this hotel, and wont be the last. Got the same room we did the last time, and John gave us a good price, since we were returning customers :) Since last time the room had been painted, the windows changed, and the bathroom retiled. It looked really nice.
There were a lot of work going on in the building, so we guess it will look even better soon.

We didnt get to try the breafast this time, but we are sure that it tasted as good as it did the last time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple