New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Amsterdam Hostel Uptown

Amsterdam Hostel Uptown
Ranked #182 of 219 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Noisy, cigarretes, but very nice staff.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The hotel is very well located, close to Leidsplein. If you have large and heavy luggages, be prepared to take them upstairs. In my case, the reception desk man helped me and it was okay. Rooms smelled like cigarretes and bathrooms were in flood after a few minutes of shower. The bed is comfortable and the breakfast is nice. The staff in this hotel is very nice. I went in the winter, so I could not really enjoy the balcony outside. At nights, it was easy to hear noisy groups talking out loud. Anyway, the price is good in Amsterdam´s standards and it was okay for me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I said I would be back so here I am, arrived 22nd Nov & stayed till 24th, came back for Cannabis Cup with friends,my friends went onto "the mushrooms"(nightmare) & I stuck with the weed(oh yes!), this stay we had 2 (newly renovated & spotless rooms), both were renovated to a high standard.As ever, the staff are second to none.Free Wi-Fi in rooms & downstairs coffee shop still a nice bonus. As we say "I just can`t get enough" of this very friendly Hotel.Hoping to be back in March for a HOOT!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Glenn S
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

=== The best value for your buck except the WiFi ===
Receptionists Lisa for the check-in and John for bfast + check-out were very customer-oriented and very nice. Emails quick to be responded.

My single room (a good deal at 65 EUR on booking.com) was excellent, recently renovated, practical and super clean, private toilet/bathroom efficiently designed, heaters heated up quickly and hard. No street noise problem (low season) but anyway, I usually don't care.
I noticed the carefull setup of the room and amenities for the coming guest (bed, towels, soaps and details).

The included bfast was basic but good and sufficient for me, and matches perfectly the low price I paid; John first asks you wether you want some eggs and how you like them and bring it within minutes; the bfast room is small but enough for me as I was alone is this low season however I wonder when it's fully booked... Howerver, usually the guests here are supposed to be "cool" (it should be mandatory)...

=== BAD ===
The WiFi didn't work at all. Using my smartphone, even close to the Router/Access Point at the reception with Lisa (who re-booted it for me), the hotel network didn't even appear in the network list... Same downstairs with the devices from their staff. A pity. I would have quoted 10/10 if the Internet was working. In such a small hotel, cabling by ethernet would not cost much and would generate a big plus in their business.
So... not really a bad deal compared the overall great quality/price. As long as you know in advance that you won't may be able to get on the net from the hotel, you can plan in advance to use public or private internet services (museums, Starbuck etc.).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Gabba8
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Second stay at this hotel, and wont be the last. Got the same room we did the last time, and John gave us a good price, since we were returning customers :) Since last time the room had been painted, the windows changed, and the bathroom retiled. It looked really nice.
There were a lot of work going on in the building, so we guess it will look even better soon.

We didnt get to try the breafast this time, but we are sure that it tasted as good as it did the last time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fasttravellers
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed here on 22/10/11 to 24/10/11;first time in this Hotel & will not be the last.wee John on reception was very helpfull & could not do enough for me.staff in downstairs coffee shop were also very good.My room was very clean & warm,bed was very comfortable too.Free wi-fi was a nice bonus.Location is spot on & anything you want to do is only a short walk away.Renovations have started & I was shown finished upgraded rooms(very nice). My return flight was at 21.45hrs from schiphol & I was able to hold room till 18.00hrs for a very small fee, this I really appreciated. As a frequent visitor to Amsterdam I cannot wait to return here to Rookies ,and I will always stay here in future.Thank you once again for everything.Glenn Scolley from Scotland.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Glenn S
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Beds were comfortable. Room and en-suite were very clean. Bloke on reception was very polite and helpful. Hotel was undergoing a major refurb while we were there but it was not a major inconvenience. Would definitely go back and stay and would recommend to friends. Stairs were steep but what do you expect from a traditional dutch building. Nice patio area to chill in.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lindsay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

This hotel was recommended to us from a friend.Although the stairs are steep and atmosphere is laid back,we found everything we needed here.The reception was welcoming ,our room was clean and we were central to all Amsterdam has to offer.The breakfast was a great start and theres a patio off the reception area,very peaceful.
If your looking for simple,clean and friendly lodging in the middle of Amsterdam than this is your place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple