“The best value for your buck except the WiFi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Hostel Uptown

Amsterdam Hostel Uptown
Ranked #182 of 219 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Brussels, Belgium
“The best value for your buck except the WiFi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

=== The best value for your buck except the WiFi ===
Receptionists Lisa for the check-in and John for bfast + check-out were very customer-oriented and very nice. Emails quick to be responded.

My single room (a good deal at 65 EUR on booking.com) was excellent, recently renovated, practical and super clean, private toilet/bathroom efficiently designed, heaters heated up quickly and hard. No street noise problem (low season) but anyway, I usually don't care.
I noticed the carefull setup of the room and amenities for the coming guest (bed, towels, soaps and details).

The included bfast was basic but good and sufficient for me, and matches perfectly the low price I paid; John first asks you wether you want some eggs and how you like them and bring it within minutes; the bfast room is small but enough for me as I was alone is this low season however I wonder when it's fully booked... Howerver, usually the guests here are supposed to be "cool" (it should be mandatory)...

=== BAD ===
The WiFi didn't work at all. Using my smartphone, even close to the Router/Access Point at the reception with Lisa (who re-booted it for me), the hotel network didn't even appear in the network list... Same downstairs with the devices from their staff. A pity. I would have quoted 10/10 if the Internet was working. In such a small hotel, cabling by ethernet would not cost much and would generate a big plus in their business.
So... not really a bad deal compared the overall great quality/price. As long as you know in advance that you won't may be able to get on the net from the hotel, you can plan in advance to use public or private internet services (museums, Starbuck etc.).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Gabba8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Second stay at this hotel, and wont be the last. Got the same room we did the last time, and John gave us a good price, since we were returning customers :) Since last time the room had been painted, the windows changed, and the bathroom retiled. It looked really nice.
There were a lot of work going on in the building, so we guess it will look even better soon.

We didnt get to try the breafast this time, but we are sure that it tasted as good as it did the last time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fasttravellers
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed here on 22/10/11 to 24/10/11;first time in this Hotel & will not be the last.wee John on reception was very helpfull & could not do enough for me.staff in downstairs coffee shop were also very good.My room was very clean & warm,bed was very comfortable too.Free wi-fi was a nice bonus.Location is spot on & anything you want to do is only a short walk away.Renovations have started & I was shown finished upgraded rooms(very nice). My return flight was at 21.45hrs from schiphol & I was able to hold room till 18.00hrs for a very small fee, this I really appreciated. As a frequent visitor to Amsterdam I cannot wait to return here to Rookies ,and I will always stay here in future.Thank you once again for everything.Glenn Scolley from Scotland.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Glenn S
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Beds were comfortable. Room and en-suite were very clean. Bloke on reception was very polite and helpful. Hotel was undergoing a major refurb while we were there but it was not a major inconvenience. Would definitely go back and stay and would recommend to friends. Stairs were steep but what do you expect from a traditional dutch building. Nice patio area to chill in.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lindsay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

This hotel was recommended to us from a friend.Although the stairs are steep and atmosphere is laid back,we found everything we needed here.The reception was welcoming ,our room was clean and we were central to all Amsterdam has to offer.The breakfast was a great start and theres a patio off the reception area,very peaceful.
If your looking for simple,clean and friendly lodging in the middle of Amsterdam than this is your place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Only positives of this hotel really are the location and the guy on reception.

The hotel itself is grimy and left me feeling filthy! We both ended up covered in bites which we can't be sure came from the beds but have stayed in 9 other hotels in Amsterdam and never woken up covered in insect bites before.

Walls are paper thin and you never really feel safe. Dark, dingy and a feeling of neglect and dirt all around you. Thank god it was only one night!! It was so dingy we did not even go for the breakfast so can't comment on that. Needs striped bare, updated and scrubbed and could be a good little hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I stayed here for six nights and was very happy with my choice. The hotel is close to all that is happening in Leidseplein, the entertainment area of Amsterdam. I am in my 40s and not much into partying anymore but it was nice to be able to step out of the hotel and get something to eat or drink close by whenever I felt like it. Some reviewers seem to have had a problem with noise, and John at reception did enquire if it was too noisy for me, but I really didn't notice the noise on the weekend once I closed my window, and I was in a room right at the front. Having mentioned John, I must say he was the most friendly and helpful host I could have asked for. He checked with me every day as to how I was going, and as a solo traveller I appreciate that. The breakfast was just right, all you could want from scrambled eggs to toast, coffee, tea, juice, cereals, cheese and cold meat.
Previous reviewers have mentioned the difficult stairways - yes, it's Amsterdam, there are difficult stairways. The staff were very helpful and insisted on carrying my (very heavy) bag up and down the stairs.
The room was spacious and very clean. It was cleaned daily and I had a hard time convincing the cleaning guy that I did not need new towels every day! The location was excellent, so close to all the sights, just a short walk away or catch the trams nearby. I will definitely stay here again and recommend it.
I must note, the hotel is above a coffee shop (which in Amsterdam means a place where you smoke pot) and it is allowed to smoke in the rooms. The smell was quite strong in the hallways but I did not notice it at all in my room. I do not smoke pot but this did not bother me in the slightest - you have to remember it is legal there. Don't bring your hang-ups with you to Amsterdam!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo