WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #194 of 221 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Wishaw, United Kingdom
“GREAT WEEKEND”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed here on 22/10/11 to 24/10/11;first time in this Hotel & will not be the last.wee John on reception was very helpfull & could not do enough for me.staff in downstairs coffee shop were also very good.My room was very clean & warm,bed was very comfortable too.Free wi-fi was a nice bonus.Location is spot on & anything you want to do is only a short walk away.Renovations have started & I was shown finished upgraded rooms(very nice). My return flight was at 21.45hrs from schiphol & I was able to hold room till 18.00hrs for a very small fee, this I really appreciated. As a frequent visitor to Amsterdam I cannot wait to return here to Rookies ,and I will always stay here in future.Thank you once again for everything.Glenn Scolley from Scotland.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Glenn S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

Beds were comfortable. Room and en-suite were very clean. Bloke on reception was very polite and helpful. Hotel was undergoing a major refurb while we were there but it was not a major inconvenience. Would definitely go back and stay and would recommend to friends. Stairs were steep but what do you expect from a traditional dutch building. Nice patio area to chill in.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lindsay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

This hotel was recommended to us from a friend.Although the stairs are steep and atmosphere is laid back,we found everything we needed here.The reception was welcoming ,our room was clean and we were central to all Amsterdam has to offer.The breakfast was a great start and theres a patio off the reception area,very peaceful.
If your looking for simple,clean and friendly lodging in the middle of Amsterdam than this is your place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Only positives of this hotel really are the location and the guy on reception.

The hotel itself is grimy and left me feeling filthy! We both ended up covered in bites which we can't be sure came from the beds but have stayed in 9 other hotels in Amsterdam and never woken up covered in insect bites before.

Walls are paper thin and you never really feel safe. Dark, dingy and a feeling of neglect and dirt all around you. Thank god it was only one night!! It was so dingy we did not even go for the breakfast so can't comment on that. Needs striped bare, updated and scrubbed and could be a good little hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

I stayed here for six nights and was very happy with my choice. The hotel is close to all that is happening in Leidseplein, the entertainment area of Amsterdam. I am in my 40s and not much into partying anymore but it was nice to be able to step out of the hotel and get something to eat or drink close by whenever I felt like it. Some reviewers seem to have had a problem with noise, and John at reception did enquire if it was too noisy for me, but I really didn't notice the noise on the weekend once I closed my window, and I was in a room right at the front. Having mentioned John, I must say he was the most friendly and helpful host I could have asked for. He checked with me every day as to how I was going, and as a solo traveller I appreciate that. The breakfast was just right, all you could want from scrambled eggs to toast, coffee, tea, juice, cereals, cheese and cold meat.
Previous reviewers have mentioned the difficult stairways - yes, it's Amsterdam, there are difficult stairways. The staff were very helpful and insisted on carrying my (very heavy) bag up and down the stairs.
The room was spacious and very clean. It was cleaned daily and I had a hard time convincing the cleaning guy that I did not need new towels every day! The location was excellent, so close to all the sights, just a short walk away or catch the trams nearby. I will definitely stay here again and recommend it.
I must note, the hotel is above a coffee shop (which in Amsterdam means a place where you smoke pot) and it is allowed to smoke in the rooms. The smell was quite strong in the hallways but I did not notice it at all in my room. I do not smoke pot but this did not bother me in the slightest - you have to remember it is legal there. Don't bring your hang-ups with you to Amsterdam!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank travelsquirrel9
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

We had a really good time at the Rookies. Loved the fact that it was smoker friendly, so we could do what we came to do in the room. We had a superior room with a great wiew over the cosy backyard, but the only superior about it was that it had its own bathroom. The room was clean when we came, and they changed the towels during our stay. If you want, you can get your room cleaned during the stay, but you have to order it in the reception.

The room was spaceful, and the mattresses was good, only bad thing was that the beds kept sliding apart, and left me feeling so lonely with my boyfriend all the way over on the other side :) There was no hairdryer or ironing board, but you could borrow it if you needed to. The only thing we missed in the room was a small refrigerator for drinks and stuff.

The reception is not open 24 hours, but we didnt find any difficulties with it because the coffeshop down starirs are open until 01.00 am and the staff there are happy to help you with anything you might need help with. They also provide very good regular ,and amsterdam coffe in the coffeshop :)

Breakfast was good, but plain. Two kinds of bread and some different kinds of cheese, jams and ham. They also offered to make scrambled eggs if you wanted to. Coffe and tea of course, and the breakfast was included in the price.

The location couldnt have been better, nice atmosphere and lots of good restaurants, bars, cafes and coffeshops around. Impulsive preformances in the streets wich we think is very cosy and fun. Also a very good area for shopping, LOTS of independent stores as well as the big ones like H&M. Loved it, and would really like to come back to the Rookies and John, wich was a really nice guy, again sometime.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

Having been to Amsterdam several times before, i decided the rookies uptown would be a good choice as it was in the heart of the city and close o the restaurants and attractions

When i arrived we lead up a very narrow and steep staircase just to get to recpetion, which was actually the dining room-come-breakfast area. There was also i strong smell from the coffee shop down stairs. The floor and carpets were unkept and in need of vacumming. We were then told he did not need to see our passports, thought this was strange seeing as i have always been asked to produce this before.

He lead us to our room which was on the third floor again up a narrow, steep and winding staircase (which is typical of amsterdam, but definetly not suitable for the elderly or disabled). The room was small and barely room enough to walk around, and there was no space to store out two suitcases. The room smelt of stale smoke and cananbis. The floor again was dirty and was covered in crumbs. Under the beds where cigarette ends. The net curtains were stained grey and the window ledge was also black and grimey. The whole room was just dark and dingy, we had two over-bed lights, a lamp and the ceiling light on and it was still dull.

The towels we were given were stained and smelt musty. The bedclothes were also worn and there were crumbs and hairs inside when we pulled the sheets back.

The door would not lock properly, leaving us feeling uneasy.

The reception was never manned, you had to go outside of the hotel, out into the street and into the coffee shop to get the receptionist to come into the hotel.

The whole establishment was very poorly run and not mantained at all.
I would never recomment this hotel.

Go to the best western museum appollo! same price and its the lap of luxry compared!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends