All reviewsamstel canalgreat locationrembrandt squareflower markethistoric hotelrecommend this hoteltop floorsteep staircasetriple roomwould stay here againrooms are bigamsterdam experiencewalking distancecentral stationtram stopcityluggage
Reviewed December 29, 2016 via mobile

Pricy hotel but room is spacious. The only problem is the staircase as our luggage is large. Good location and guest can rent bike during stay. There's a little bit noisy during the night. Receptionist is friendly and give a lot of information during my stay.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2016 via mobile

Cannot praise this hotel enough!

Great price and location. The view from our top floor room of the Amstel river was brilliant.

Really friendly and helpful receptionist who stored our bags for us before and after our nights stay.

Comfiest bed I've ever slept in.

Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Amsterdam!

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2016 via mobile

An amazing super comfortable rooms overlooking the Amstel river, lots of complimentary coffee and Nespresso in the room, the hotel location is amazing a walking distance from everything, around the corner there's a lot of cafes restaurants and bars specially the irish bar next door.
Very friendly and helpful staff u feel home.
As soon as we arrived the receptionist welcomed us and upon check-in he opened the Amsterdam map and explained everything in the city for us which made our trip a lot easier.
Definitely staying there in my next trip.

Stayed: December 2016
Reviewed November 28, 2016

We had three rooms for our stay so had the chance to see some of the different layouts and have to say we got lucky with one of the bigger double bed rooms on the third floor. The room was spacious enough for two people and our stuff. The stairs are STEEP but after spending some time in Amsterdam you realize this was how a lot of the homes were built during this time. The lobby was modern rustic which is my favorite decor. The rooms not as modern but we were really just sleeping there while being out for the day. I love that we were around the corner from all the bars and club around the corner. So many dining options around as well. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Third floor right before the stairs to the small fourth floor
  • Stayed: October 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2016

To be honest, this is a tricky review and rating. Firstly and MOST importantly is the access to the rooms. The stairs to the first and second floors are literally LADDER LIKE, extremely steep, narrow steps and curved bannister rails. Even without any luggage, this is a challenge indeed. I would strongly suggest you INSIST on help with your luggage. This may prove a challenge as staffing levels are almost non existent, we only saw one person on the very small reception, however, behind the scenes there are a few 'house keepers'. This is truly no exaggeration. Rooms 211 and 212 are on the THIRD floor and I suggest very unsuitable for anyone with any kind of fitness or health issues. Believe me, regardless of age, you have to be fit but be particularly careful when booking if you feel this could be an issue and find out exactly where you room is. If you make it to your room, I believe MOST have canal views (please check) over the Amstel and have secondary glazing, it can get noisy out there and any passing lorries can make the whole building shake. The rooms are very well appointed and clean with TV, mini-bar and safe. Rooms 211 and 212 did not have a power shower and the water flow was miserable (but hot), more of a drizzle than a shower. The mini-bar is VERY expensive (€3 for a tiny bottle of water) so be wise and buy your own and just use the fridge to keep you stuff cool. The view, however was quite spectacular. The location is also undeniably great, just a few minutes walk to the Flower Market and the start of the Kalverstraat shopping street. If you want to experience the REAL Amsterdam then follow the flower market to the end and cross onto the Singel. Beyond that you have my favourite trio of canal walks, Herengracht, Keizersgracht and Prinsengracht. Zig-Zag across these and the bridges and side streets in between towards the Central Station and you will find numerous independent shops, art galleries, restaurants, book and antique/vintage stores!! The architecture is simply breathtaking. In summary, this Hotel is essentially JUST a place to sleep with no other amenities (bar or lounge area) or breakfast facilities. They will recommend a place for breakfast but be brave and find your own!! The location is great but access to the rooms is seriously challenging. Make sure your room has a view, that will compensate for the effort to get there!! Check booking rates with the Hotel directly AND the travel websites as they can vary greatly. I got a 35% discount through a well known travel site. I would not have paid the full advertised rate as I felt it wasn't worth the price, especially because of the stairs and lack of onsite amenities. I would stay again, at the right price and first floor only. I would say NOT suitable for couples with young children!!

Room Tip: Avoid 211 and 212 unless you are SUPER fit and don't mind a drizzle shower.
  • Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple