Hotel Groenendael
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$239
Marriott Hotels
  • Room Service
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$174
$154
  • Bar/Lounge
$314
$258
$189
$167
  • Restaurant
WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$262
$237
Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
$396
$313
  • Room Service
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$224
  • Pool
$294
$213
  • Restaurant
Hotel De Hallen(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$181
$140
  • Restaurant
All reviewstypical dutch stylewould stay againclose to the train stationfirst flooramsterdam centraalthe red light districtlocation is greatsinkstairsluxuryearplugsheatingkey
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 9, 2007

Incredibly steep stairs inside, almost at a 90 degree angle and with four floors of accommodation make sure you can hike with your luggage! Semi-friendly staff, clean rooms. We had a room that did not face the street and it was fairly quiet except for some train noise. Breakfast was pretty sparse and we ended up getting buying more breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2007

I was seeking an economy hotel and I got one but I was not prepared to find a bed with a mattress which was 6" lower in the middle than on the sides as well as at the head and foot. Lying in it made you "V" shaped. They changed it upon demand but there are torn and stained carpets in the vesitibule and on the stairwells (there is no elevator), a large cracked ceiling height mirror in the lobby which they lamely attempt to hide with a plastic shrub.
In our room there was a mirror door over one closet and it had been cracked and the crack covered over with masking tape and the entire door was just missing from the other closet. The bathroom door had two tennis ball sized indentations, breaks through the door skin actually but you could'nt see through them and then they only came in and cleaned once during our 5 night stay. When I asked them to clean they would smile and shrug and say "Yes" and you could see they did'nt understand you. I don't believe that there are any Dutch working here.
On the positive side it is very well located, for example only 900 feet from Rembrandts house and perhaps 1500' from the Floating Flower Market. I had requested a room at the front which had great views of the small canal out front. I saw many, many tourists taking photos of this canal-street as there is an old church (1634) at the end of the canal and a 400 year old drawbridge over this picturesque canal.
On two nights there was a little partying out on the street below but we were so tired from walking and touring that we drifted off to sleep quickly anyway. If you go here,I would ask for a front room or a room at the very rear...specify a room with windows as I believe that more than half of the rooms are tiny inside rooms with no windows..our room was large (#11).This was when built 400 years ago a single family dwelling, narrow and the stairs are steep.
Would I go here again ? I don't think so but it is listed as a budget hotel so maybe I should'nt be complaining. I got a low price hotel.Next time I'll pay for something better and I saw a LOT of hotels this size and in good shape all over Amsterdam and I covered the city on foot very thoroughly.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank Oldwarrior
Reviewed March 7, 2007

This was, by far, the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. As soon as I walked into the room, I wanted to leave. The carpet and walls were stained, and the whole room was very dingy. I suggested to my husband that we should leave, but, although he felt similarly about the room, he felt that we had an obligation to stay, since we had made reservations. Also, he didn't want to walk the streets of Amsterdam looking for a hotel room. Unfortunately, he convinced me to stay, but only after I inspected the sheets and saw that they were clean. When we got back that first night, we noticed that both of our backpacks were missing!!! All of my clothes were gone, and we still had 2 more days to go! I don't know how they got in, since we were on the 3rd floor, and we were so close to the next building that a person could not fit between them. Our door had not been tampered with. This made me think that perhaps the staff at the hotel had something to do with it, but the owner gave us our money back for the next 2 days (my husband finally decided to go somewhere else!), which convinced me that he had nothing to do with it. Another bad thing about the hotel is its location--right in the most touristy area in Amsterdam. Also, the bathroom was right outside the door, and since the walls were so thin I could hear everything going on in there. Nasty!!
I miss my cat shirt.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank whitneylee
Reviewed January 15, 2007

This is a fine budget hotel and breakfast was good, staff very friendly. But ask for a room in the back and not facing the street... it may be smaller but MUCH quieter. The hotel is convenient to the train station but the street can be a bit noisy with some rowdies yelling at night, street cleaners, etc.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank suuzinSF
Reviewed December 16, 2006

the ambient looks cosy but..pay attention: under the covers and in the covers lay acari, under the beds sometimes you can find a mouse and you aren't given a receipt for the payment when you leave-at least, this is what happened to us. the rooms are never cleaned and if you suffer from allergies that's not the right place. the nice cat, Sushi, isn't enough to make it a good place, and 30 Euros per person in a triple room are really too much.

Stayed: December 2006