“Bring ear plugs”
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Ranked #199 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I've stayed here before in July 2012 in the top floor double room, but settled for a single room on the 2nd internal floor (3rd floor from the outside) this time around. The owners were just as arrogant as before, which has it's charms, but began to wear thin after every query was met with a sarcastic response (how dare I ask for another bath towel??).

Me and my friend were given two single rooms, even though I was promised a double and a single many times in my emails to them. "Oh no.. I told you clearly it was two singles.." the owner replied. Um, ok :(

The street noise was atrocious.. from 07:00 - 23:00 all you can hear is the loud whiny buzz of the motor scooters that are so prevalent there these days - I genuinely feel sorry for the residents of the area who have to put up with this din most of the day. It just went on and on, especially through both rush hours, and would ruin your trip if you didn't bring ear plugs and close the windows. An afternoon nap is nigh on impossible without ear plugs.

My single room was poor (the Mesdag room), with the wonky floor making the mattress slip off the bed at times. The shower head holder was broken, so the shower head had to be held in the hand during use. The cupboard door wouldn't lock and swung open unless wedged shut with a piece of card or somesuch. A drawer was missing from the bedside cabinet.

The breakfast was nice.. multiple rolls, croissants and tea cakes, complete with jam, butter, orange juice and a large pot of coffee made it a joy to begin the day. The cutlery was filthy though.. unfortunately I'm not exaggerating. I didn't suffer sickness due to this though, thankfully. Be prepared to be pestered by the two dogs they let roam the hotel.. they'll beg and whine for food, with the owner just glaring at you, whilst allowing this annoyance to continue.

The wi-fi worked in my room, but doesn't work on the top floor.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again, due to the poor hygiene, poor condition of the room and street noise, but the double rooms are not without their charm and are very spacious. I'll stay in a regular hotel next time though.

Overall, a below average hotel with lots of charm. It's up to you whether you want to take a chance.

Room Tip: Go for a double room, high up.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Davey1800

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We booked 2 nights at the Brouwer due to the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. We prefer to stay in hotels with history and character and the Brouwer certainly offers these. We stayed in the Van Gogh room and the floor was sloped so much that we felt like we were on a boat when we walked in! The room was basic but cosy and clean and it had an amazing view of the canal below. Towels and sheets were lovely and clean and the shower was nice and hot.
As others have pointed out there is an issue with noise from the rooms above. We were woken one morning by the people upstairs getting ready and the level of noise was quite unbelievable. On the ceiling above the bed were what looked like marks from a shoe. I can only assume that a previous guest had got annoyed by noises from above and banged on the ceiling.
We didn't notice any noise from other rooms on our floor. There was also constant noise from the street through the night. It didn't bother us as we were so tired from walking all day but for very light sleepers then I wouldn't recommend this hotel.
The location is brilliant; about 10/15 minutes walk from both Centraal station and the Anne Frank house.
The staff are friendly and very helpful and very laid back which we found to be the case with all the locals. The rooms don't have hairdryers but I was able to borrow one from reception for my stay.
Breakfast was substantial but uninspiring (croissant, hot cross bun, bread roll, cheese, jam and a boiled egg and then juice and tea/coffee).
Overall I would definitely recommend the Brouwer but not to everybody; if you are used to luxury, modern hotels then this isn't for you.

Room Tip: If you are a very light sleeper then avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank english_f
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I booked the Hotel Brouwer based on Trip Advisor ratings and was not disappointed. We wanted a hotel with old world charm rather than an American chain hotel, and this was perfect. The building dates to 1652 and is right on the oldest canal in Amsterdam. All the rooms have a canal views. Our room was large by European standards, and while it was sparsely furnished, it was adequate and immaculately clean. The staff were helpful and friendly and the location could not have been better. This will be our hotel of choice for future visits to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: We were in the Breitner room which was spacious. There was some occasional noise from the street bu...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mehorst
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a little gem in a great canal ring location. The staff are really accommodating and kind. Rooms are small, somewhat spartan but really all you need for comfort if you intend to get into the city and crash here after a full day. Good idea to take earplugs due to some street noise. Single bed was most comfortable. Wish they served breakfast earlier for us early risers but there is a great little Tunisian coffee, bake shop and quick mart just a short block away that opens at 6. Super convenient. I'd book back here in a minute!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank doodle1957
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Nice converted house, with original features.

Rooms were a bit uneven but the service and rooms was great and the atmosphere was nice. Very comfortable stay would come back again.

Don't expect hotel 4 star type luxury but it's a nice covered house. Comfortable and excellent location!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank zach101
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in July, absolutely loved it! We stayed in a triple room, the Breitner, which was spacious and clean. Down the alley beside the hotel,1 minute away, was a laundromat, deli, bakery, restaurants and a convenience store. The breakfast was ok but we preferred to go to Greenwoods which was 2 minutes down the Singel. The staff was SUPER friendly and helpful. When we return to Amsterdam we will for sure be staying here again.

Room Tip: All rooms have canal views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank keena123
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The location makes it a good place to stay for the money. It was not the experience we were expecting based on the reviews. First of all, do not underestimate the street/canal noise! It goes on all night. We stayed on the second floor (third floor in US) during unusually hot weather in August, so we had to have the windows open. Our room had windows on both sides, so there was a cross breeze, but the noise went on and on. The mattress was larger than the box springs it was sitting on, so you had to watch out if you sat on the edge because you would end up on the floor.
I had no problem with the wifi at all, but the breakfast is not great. We have eaten in a lot of B & B's in Europe and this is the poorest breakfast we have ever had. There was no choice. You are served a boiled egg, three rolls, and some slices of cheese that had not been covered since the previous day as the edges were drying out.
I know this hotel is very popular and gets great reviews, but based on our experience for three nights, I would probably pay a little more and stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Request as high up as you can get, due to the street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple