“Excellent B&B type hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Ranked #169 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent B&B type hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

First of all, ignore negative reviews of this hotel - yes, it's quirky, yes it's slightly wonky at times.. deal with it. The large hotel chains may be better, but what you gain in luxury you lose in charm. This hotel has charm in spades!

Me and a friend stayed in this hotel for two nights, staying in separate rooms. My double room was on the top floor (fourth) and was called the Escher room. All the room names (8 rooms in total) are named after artists. My friends room was a single room called the Hals room. This was located on the third floor. After the ground floor there is a separate living area for the owners (I presume) and then there are three floors of rooms, two double rooms and a single room per floor, except the top floor which just has two double rooms.

As you can see from the photo's, the rooms are quaint and quirky. Yes, there are faults, such as the curtains not blocking out the glaring sun 100%, or perhaps there was a little too much dust on the desk and phone, but this isn't the Ritz. I saw no evidence of bugs or rodents, and the place seemed "clean" overall.

My double room was huge and came with a very large bathroom.. which seemed almost as big as my friends single room. Oh how I laughed! Our stay coincided with a heatwave and the three open windows in my room really kept my room cool. My friends single room was a little stifling, but he didn't complain and slept ok with the windows open and earplugs in.

The bathroom had a bath and a separate shower. Liquid soap, flannel and towels were provided. The water from the shower went all over the floor but was easily swept back into the shower area afterwards by guiding the puddles in with my feet. No big deal there.

The bed was a double, which meant two singles pushed together. I slept on one bed only and it was really comfortable.. not hard or saggy at all. The pillow was fine for me. There was a 2 seater couch in my room which went down a treat. The TV reception was pretty poor to be honest, although I didn't actually have time to watch TV after checking it out upon arrival.

The view from my main window was good, although directly in front of the hotel was a huge tree that blocked my view somewhat.. although the view to the sides was fine. The views out the small side windows just showed the neighbours' rooftops.

There is a computer in the reception area and free wi-fi, but the signal was poor on the top floor so I had to do without in my room, which was a shame.

The breakfast was nice. A big coffee pot with cream and sugar. A bread roll, crumpet, croissant and soft boiled egg, with cheese, jam and butter.. all went down a treat.

The staff were different each morning which was kind of odd for me, although the lovely black lady was there everyday in the office. On one of the mornings we had the lady with the 2 dogs.. one of which liked to bare it's teeth when I stroked it! I think it was the brown poodle, so be wary :)

Overall, this is a quaint little family run hotel that is located well, has stunning views out the windows, comes with friendly staff and a good breakfast. The double rooms are spacious, whilst the single rooms are adequate.

Pros:
Quaint and quirky
Lovely views
Quiet of a night
Good, hearty breakfast
Large, clean bathroom
Great location
PC for general use

Cons:
Wi-fi not available on top floor
Perhaps too much dust in places
Nowhere to put the bath towel in the bathroom (I'm nitpicking now!)

Room Tip: Ask for a double room if traveling solo, as you only pay a little bit more and the extra space is we...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Davey1800

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We lucked out and had use of a double split level room to spread out in with a large private bath that included a deep tub and shower. Staff was very hospitable, breakfast was great and came with a full French press of coffee- which made us feel at home. It embodied the dishelved atmosphere of Amsterdam but was clean enough and charming.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

There are certainly pros to this little "hotel". The location is a short & easy walk from the train station, the main sites and the lovely Jordaan area. Plus, what could be better than a canal view? The limited number of staff members were quite nice and willing to be of assistance. The free internet signal was strong in my room. And, the coffee in the morning..... your own personal French press full of nice strong java! A downside was the remainder of breakfast which consisted of 2 thin slices of cheese, a croissant (freshly baked), 2 rolls, butter & jam, oj, soft boiled egg (which I don't eat). No variation over the course of my 4 day stay. The "drapes" in my room don't close all the way and 1 panel's hem needs to be sewn back up. I'm in a tiny, tiny (think monk cell size) single room. There is just nowhere to put anything. Illumination in the bathroom is virtually non-existent (think 20 watt bulb). Putting on makeup or shaving legs just can't be done. I do think the room could be cleaner as well. The baseboards all need a serious cleaning as does the floor under the bed. My last gripe is the quality of the bed. The boxspring appears to be older than the mattress and is more narrow by about 6 inches. (I'm not making this up!) As a result, the mattress sags severely on the long edge. I literally almost rolled out of bed one night as the floor of the room pitches due to the age & sagging of the building. On the very positive side of the equation is the good price. Would I stay here again? Likely not. I do like the area but I would find a hotel with a little less "charm".

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank dee240
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

If you want to be in the heart of Amsterdam and do not expect the Holiday Inn this could be for you. No real reception just the dinning room, This quaint hotel we really enjoyed rooms were a good size and a small but adequate lift. A computer was available free of charge and we did not find the hotel noisy. A great experience.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor front giving you a good view of the canal.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank trustascot
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I've stayed here twice now and would gladly stay here again next time in Amsterdam. It's a 350-year old classic building right on a beautiful canal with easy walking distance to Dam Square, Red Light District, tram lines, and best of all, it borders the very quiet and charming Jordaan neighborhood. Great price, too.

Room Tip: My wife and I stayed in the Rembrandt Room which has a great view of the intersecting canals.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Manleeone
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

My single room was tiny, but very neat and clean. The bathroom was larger than I expected. There was street noise, but that is common in Amsterdam and I know to bring earplugs. Breakfasts were perfect. Elevator is a real plus. Loved being able to use the computer and the staff was very friendly (including the two poodles at breakfast).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank MeredithMN
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

The hotel Brouwer is in a good location being 10 min. walk from the train and the center of the city and on a canal. It is fairly clean with a comfortable bed.The view from the room is amasing canal panorama. The breakfast was ok, nothing special. We paid 114 euro with breakfast and tax, which is a little more than what it is worth.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple