“Excellent Service made up for bad start”

NH Amsterdam Centre
Ranked #123 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Excellent Service made up for bad start”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

This visit did not start out well for us at all. I was traveling with my 18 year old daughter and had requested a room with two beds. I emailed the hotel right after making the reservation a month before our travels, and again a few days prior to our arrival. Upon check-in, they told me they had a room for us with two beds before I could even mention it, but when we got up to the room, that was not the case. I went back down to the desk and spoke with the manager, who apologized, but said they had no rooms left with two beds, but they could move us the next day. I pointed out the two previous confirmations and noted that my daughter did not want to share a bed with her father, so I was given a second room to sleep in for the night so I would have my own bed. I do give them points for doing what the could, but still, was disappointed in not getting the accommodations we requested.

My daughter became ill the next morning (kidney stone) and I took her by taxi to the Emergency Room. The hotel staff called a taxi for us and gave us advice on which hospital to visit. When we arrived back at the hotel later in the day, there was a nice note from hotel management wishing my daughter well along with a fruit tray and bottled water. They then let us move into a room with two beds without rushing us to move out of the first room.

So, sorry to say, we spent a lot more time in the hotel than we had hoped to on our four day visit. It was only on the final day of our trip that we were able to enjoy Amsterdam. The room we had the final three nights was nice and comfortable. It was very quiet and the "do not disturb" sign did it's job.

What I can say about the hotel is that it is conveniently located. Rooms are comfortable. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was included and was wonderful with lots of choices. The only things that keeps me from rating it 5 stars were the initial reservation issues and the lack of an on-site gift shop for incidentals I needed for my daughter while she was ill. If I go to Amsterdam again, I would certainly consider staying with them.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front overlook the canal, but the view is mostly obscured by trees. I actually enjoyed...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Yes, you read correctly. On a recent business trip I left ALL of my valuables in the safe which I had unlocked but forgot to empty. My Ipad, my passport, my wallet, keys, jewellery that was obviously expensive, almost €200 and £300 cash, and my credit cards.

I realised this mistake when I arrived at the airport in a taxi after a long day of business meetings. The driver turned around and I called the hotel – reception were aware that I had left the items and I didn’t have to explain very much, I just had to return for them. The fact that the items had given to hotel security by housekeeping, and also communicated to the front desk was an excellent show of internal communication. When I arrived at the hotel, clearly flustered, they could not have been calmer. I am quite confident that if I had not returned to the hotel a security procedure was in place to track me down and return everything to me.

After verifying it was me – they had the passport! They handed over a bag with everything in it. I have to admit, I was expecting something to be missing - shame on my for my doubt – EVERY penny, every item was in the bag. I offered thanks, praise, and a small amount of cash for the housekeeper who handed the items in but the tip was graciously declined. What a class act this hotel is.

This was not the first act of excellent service I experienced at the hotel. Check in was smooth and polite, the room was impeccably clean and comfortable, the late night mojito in the bar was a great way to end a day and the service from every staff member was something most hotel general managers can only dream about.

So well done to the NH Amsterdam Centre. I am really impressed and commend your fabulous team. Keep up the good work.

The location of this hotel is excellent for visitors – go towards the centre and you hit great high street shopping, the flower market, great bars and restaurants and the more renowned district. Practically next door to the hotel is the Vondle Park – a beautiful park for running or a walk, and over the road some must do’s such as the museums and the hard rock café 

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Nicola L
t_lebbink, Manager at NH Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Nicola L,

What a stressful moment on the day of departure! We are very glad that we could collect all the forgotten items and return them to you quickly.

Thank you for leaving such great compliments here on TripAdvisor. The location, check in, the cleanliness in the room, the mojito in Lounge 'L, the service provided by all staff members, what more could we wish for than our guest that just wants us to keep up the good work? Thank you again.

When planning your next trip, will you think of NH?

Kindest regards,
Europe
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Good hotel. Excellent location in Amsterdam city centre. Some tram and bus stops in front of the hotel. Other stops (including bus to Schiphol Airport) 4-5 minutes walk away only. Close to most famous museums, theatres, Concertgebouw, lots of restaurants etc.

Friendly and efficient staff. Excellent buffet breakfast. Rooms complete and comfortable as can be expected from a 4 star NH Hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Paradise CA
Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stayed here with a tour group in July, 2014 and were pleased with the hotel. Our room was clean and the bath had enough shelf space. It also had a retractable clothes line in the bathtub The room and bath were clean. The beds were comfortable but the pillows were very small. There was free Wi-Fi in the room. There were plenty of breakfast choices available and the food was good. The location was perfect; within walking distance to many, many restaurants and shopping areas.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Nice and clean hotel: friendly staff , extensive breakfast,super location (near boats,bus,public transport,shopping areas). It is perfect for a stay in Amsterdam and without any doubts value for money.

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Dear Kathleen_S484,

What a pleasure to read you have had a good stay in our hotel! Thank you for your review. We would be delighted welcoming you again in the nearby future.

Best regards,
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Great courtesy and clean rooms. Never had any inconveniences, rooms are quiet and food at breakfast is great. Only minus: american tourists who are quite rude and impolite, but the hotel can do nothing for this.

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Dear Nimeo,

We truly appreciate it that you took the time to write a review with regards to your stay. We are pleased to read you have enjoyed your stay, thank you!

When planning your next trip, will you think of NH?

With kind regards,
Linkoping, Sweden
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Liked the location of the hotel and the room was nice and tidy, but on the second evening the air conditioner started to make loud banging/knocking sound every 20-30 min. The noise lasted 5-10 seconds every time. This made it impossible for us to get any sleep that night.

The morning after we told the reception about it and they said they should fix the problem. After being out in the city all day we returned to the room in the evening only to find that the problem was still there and we did not get any information about it. This time we solved the problem by turning the AC off which meant that the room got to warm so our sleep was ruined that night to.

When checking out we told them about it. The staff looke surprised and only said "Oh sorry" whitout any information about why they did not fix the problem. My guess is that nobody paid any attention to it. They probably ignored to whole it

I have never met such an arrogant behaviour in a hotel. If failing to fix the problem they should have offered us another room, but no they totally ignored us.

To add to the humiliation they offered us a compensation in the form of a voucher for a room upgrade on our next stay in a NH hotel. The voucher is valid only six month which makes it useless for us as we are not planning any trips to any of the cities mentioned on the voucher within this timeframe and secondly we don't want stay in any NH hotel after this "treatment". In reality this so callede "compensation" is worthless for us. I was expecting to get a reduction on the room rate or maybe give us the breakfast for free.

I strongly advice travellers to choose another hotel chain. If you end up in this hotel, make sure you don't get room 702.

All electronic equipment can fail. This is not a problem for us. The problem is how poorly it was taken care of and how arrogant we were treated.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 183Thomas_A
Dear 183Thomas_A,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with regards to your stay at the NH Amsterdam Centre on TripAdvisor.

With deep regret we have read you felt ignored as a guest that just expressed a technical failure to the hotels employees. We are so sorry we made you feel that way. We are constantly aiming to improve ourselves and therefore we are very thankful you gave us the above information so we can investigate the situation and prevent it in the future.

We sincerely hope you are willing to give us at NH Hotels another chance so we can show you that we are able to provide you the service that you deserve as a guest. Should you be planning to return to Amsterdam, please send us an e-mail (via n.drullman@nh-hotels.com) so we can deliberate on how to give you an exceptional stay and new and better memories of the hotel.

With kind regards,