Hotel Victorie
Bicycle Hotel(Amsterdam)
  • Breakfast included
Sarphati Hotel(Amsterdam)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsminute tramsmall hotellight sleepercentral amsterdambreakfast was includedcomfortable stayamazing hoteldam squarecitystopssupermarketshampooeur
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was a decent hotel with some high spots, and a potentially damaging problem resolved. We had excellent support on the day we arrived from the Dutch receptionist who spoke excellent English. She gave us clear directions to reach the hotel after the Tourist Information Office had sent us entirely the wrong way. She also offered excellent suggestions of local restaurants based on our preferences. She was a treasure, including ensuring that my wife and I got a double bed. Indeed all the staff were friendly and helpful.

Our room, overlooking the inyard as beneficially indicated by other reviewers was spacious. The shower room wasn't wonderful but the shower worked really well. The bedroom walls had been patched, and would look much better for a coat of emulsion, but it was clean and warm. The double bid did drift apart on the last night, but this was potentially funny rather than a major problem.

The one potentially major concern was that we had Dutch friends who had booked to join us for one night. When they arrived they were told the hotel had been overbooked and they had been booked into another hotel. After some assertiveness our Dutch friends were told they could stay where they had booked, but their room was much smaller than ours. This was resolved, so I don't want to make too much of it, but it is a practice that will leave clients doubtful about booking here. I'd be pleased to hear that will discontinue this practice.

Nonetheless, I think this was a rare event, although I did note another review, and have booked to stay here again in May, when I expect we will have a good stay again.

Room Tip: Ours was at the back.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank IanMB60
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is placed very close to the RAI, very good communication by tram (line 4) or bus, nice stuff, good breakfast. Clean enough, comfortable beds and it used to be quite nice long ago. Today the good refreshment of the hotel is deffinately needed ;) Still good enough to overnight

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Marina O
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We booked 3 nights in this hotel only to find that when we turned up on our first day that the hotel had cancelled our booking without giving us ANY notification. They took our deposit and would not return it and they were not 'fully booked'. Disgraceful behaviour and we had no chance of complaining as they barely spoke any English. I think we were not the only ones this had happened to as a guy came in shortly after us and asked why his booking had been cancelled. I don't like leaving bad reviews but this place should be avoided at all costs, unless of course you want to risk losing your deposit and then having to find another place to stay on the day.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank D0M1NIC
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Nice simple clean hotel. Only had B&B so cant comment on food, good breakfast selection. Only real dissapointment was that it was a 15 minute tram ride from the town centre. Unfortunately I was robbed on the trip including my room card and was charged 5 euros for a replacement, not much but i thought a little harsh. I didn't lose it, it was stolen.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Graeme C
Reviewed May 10, 2013

When I walked up to the hotel I got pretty nervous, the building was plain and it had an air of "crappy motel", the modern decorations from the pictures were a bit misleading. BUT, once we got to our rooms, we breathed a sign of relief. The rooms were NICE, there were some chips on the tables but I didn't mind. We had a nice, clean, comfortable hotel in Amsterdam. The hotel isn't in the city center, but you can take a tram 15 minutes. There is also a supermarket nearby, which is convenient. The hotel is newer, probably just built, it came with wifi (which didn't work for us, but probably will for others), small TV, great selection of free breakfast, and there were even mints on our pillow (aw). The owners who were an Asian husband and wife, were so kind and helpful. It seems like they are just starting out and running this whole place themselves. This hotel is great value (try to find a good deal, 65euros), it has great facilities, modern rooms, and it comes with PRIVATE bathrooms, which is extremely hard to find in Amsterdam for the price.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that's not facing the street, this isn't a loud neighborhood, but street traffic could wake you up.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple