“Functional hotel, pleasant and efficient staff, but be wary of spiders”

Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest
Ranked #215 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We got a good deal for this hotel from lastminute.com who told us it was a 4 star hotel. Since it is classified as a business hotel, we were already prepared that it might be unfussy but functional. This is exactly what we got. The room had two twin beds (which you can push together), one pillow, and one towel. We requested extra pillows and towels but housekeeping kept taking away the extra towels every time they did room service which was a minor frustration. The room's airconditioning had a sign that unless the temperature outside was above 18C, the airconditioning would not work. That was also annoying because I like it to be cold at night and it was too warm for me, although my partner didn't seem to mind. I also found two spiders in the bathroom, and my partner got a rather nasty bug bite at night, possibly a spider bite. But I gave this hotel 3 stars because the staff were welcoming and efficient and it was kept very clean overall. I would never recommend paying full price for this hotel unless your business is covering it. It's also a 5 to 10 minute walk to the tram which takes you into the centre of town quite quickly. We were in Central station, which is the end of the line, in about 30 minutes door to door but you be in Overtoom in 15 minutes. We didn't try the breakfast but we had a few drinks at the bar and te service was good. I also hear they have gluten free bread at the breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank michellelilyp
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

I hope to meet you again in one of the hotels from the Bastion Hotel Groep.

There are newer reviews for Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest

Reviewed August 10, 2013

After arriving at Amsterdam airport we decided to take the slow train to Lelylaan as detailed on the hotel website. From here we transferred onto a tram and got off at Surinemeplein, it took us a little while to actually find the hotel (located opposite the larger Fashion hotel) but with a map it would have been easier. Upon arrival we were welcomed by a friendly receptionist who provided us with a city map, wifi code and information on transport (extremely helpful!) The hotel was clean, modern, spacious and comfortable. It has all the amenities expected of both a 3 or 4 star such as a fridge and television. The only issue with this hotel is the location, after booking this last minute we did not realise the distance from the city centre (our fault we admit), and it does take at least a 30 minute journey including a fast paced walk to the tram stop to reach anywhere. As tourists only stopping here for a short time this was rather annoying as it wasted valuable time and meant that to arrive at a destination on time we had to wake up significantly earlier. Overall, we would not stay here again owing to the location - if visiting a city centre the best option is always to stay in the middle, however the hotel was itself nice. We did not eat the breakfast, we believed it was overpriced and found cheaper options when we made our way into the centre.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Harriet B
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest is a reasonably priced, orderly if not very exciting hotel a little way outside of the city. The welcome was friendly, the room small but correctly kept with comfortable beds and a clean bathroom. We did not eat here because we thought Amsterdam centre would offer more possibilities. We also did not breakfast here as the extra price was not acceptable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 2409JohnEurope
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The hotel and room was fine (little small)...nothing special but it was cheaper than others closer into the city center. The hotel was relatively close to the airport which is good but seemed rather far from anything else we wanted to do. Getting to the tram was a pretty decent hike and sometimes you walked through areas that felt "sketchy." The staff were fine - I wouldn't call them friendly but I wouldn't say they were rude either. The trip was excellent but it had nothing to do with staying at this hotel...it was literally used at night as a place to sleep. If that's all your looking for along with a cheaper rate then this might be for you. Next time however I believe I will pay the extra cost for a hotel closer into the city center in an effort to spend more time doing the things I want and less time on the tram. It may not have even been that far but it felt like it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank KWsDad
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you accept my apologies ,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Took us a while to find this as after getting off the tram we had to walk in a U shape to reach it, once you know the way it is about a 10minute walk. Takes what seems like ages on the tram to get into the top of the city near the train station etc though.

From the outside it looks like a prison of some kind!

However inside the hotel is really nice.
There is a small room you can smoke in (tobacco only - obviously ;) a couple of vending machines, a waiting area, and a posh looking bar we didn't end up using.

The staff were a little disintereted but fine, the left luggage room was just a walk in cupboard with a shower attached and a door to a laundry room(!?) and very cramped but it did the job so we could explore whilst they got the room ready for check in.

The bedroom was bigger than expected, with plenty of space for cases. The bed was comfy, and the TV had a couple of English channels as well as the Dutch ones.

I can't remember much about the bathroom so that can only mean there was nothing wrong..
It must have been good enough for me to get ready in everyday and apply all my makeup, so space for lots of cosmetic bags :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends