“Adequate hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #243 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Solihull
“Adequate hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, the room was clean, warm and comfortable. One issue that we had was that the stair bannisters were being painted, we didn't understand the signs which were in Dutch, my husband got paint on the sleeve of his jacket. Perhaps international signs would have prevented this. Needless to say the reception staff were really helpful in trying to remove the paint. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room by the station but were not trouble by any noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Bastion Hotel G, Eigenaar at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for the review which you have posted on Tripadvisor.
As we can see you have experienced the personal atmosphere, hospitality, comfort and good facilities of Bastion Hotel Groep and you have summarized it in a great review! Thank you very much for that.

We are very sorry that you got paint on the sleeve of your jacket. The next time we will mark it also in English.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in one of our hotels!

Team Bastion Hotel Groep

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cavan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Before travelling, I read a lot of reviews regarding this hotel and I must say, I disagree with many of the bad reviews in my experience.

We travelled here in Nov 2013 for a show in the Ziggo Dome.

Firstly, very easy to get to from anywhere! From Schiphol, get the train to Amsterdam-Zuid, then jump on a Metro towards Spaklerweg and get off at Overamstel. Then a simple straight 5-6 min walk which is safe and secure.Then to get to City Centre. Just get the Metro to Spaklerweg and head towards Amsterdam-Centraal. You can also get to Amsterdam Arena/ or Ziggo Dome if you head towards Gein.

On arrival, we were greeted by very friendly staff who were more than happy to help. We stayed on the 5th floor, and chose to book a deluxe room (which was €26 more, but worth it). The deluxe rooms just have nicer things. Nicer TV, good bathroom, and all clean.

One thing that people complained about, was that you had to use your key-card to access the lift, and all hallways. I actually like this idea, it's very safe and secure.

We did not have food in this hotel as it was very expensive. The Petrol Station/ Car Garage outside provides cheap food and is just perfect.

We had one issue. On departure, the fee was approx. €62 over our expected fee. I consulted reception and it turned out that they were trying to charge us for breakfast which we were never offered, nor did we have. I displayed my booking.com booking details form where it clearly stated 'NO BREAKFAST' and displayed the total charge. The problem was quickly rectified and we were not charged. The staff member was quite rude but oh well, we all have bad days.

Overall, cheap, clean and nice. We got it for a great price and we will possibly return in 2014.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room. Slightly more expensive, but well-worth it for a good experience.
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank JackDooner_11
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

I hope to meet you again in one of the hotels from the Bastion Hotel Groep.

Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Short weekend stay at the Bastion Deluxe hotel in Amsterdam.

Check-in was a bit messy as there were 3 receptionists, only 1 of them actually taking care of the guests.

My room was on the 10th floor, first impression was that the room was quite worn out and not that clean. Bed was very low and very soft, kind of strange feeling.

Bathroom was basic, no frills, but also not very clean.

Waked up at night many times due to lots of noise in the rooms surrounding me.

Free parking - this is a plus in A'dam.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BartBelgium
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

Maik Willems

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Wiesbaden, Hessen, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Staff is somewhat friendly and helpful but check-in was very slow.upon entering room hallway was dirty and smelly. Once we entered room we were shocked by the size! The rooms are very, very small for the price. Beds were old small and very uncomfortable. But the worst was Sat morning when we woke to no hot water. When I approached staff about it they seemed unconcerned and really didn't seem to care. When I asked when it would be fixed the said they had called someone. Then to add insult to injury I went to the bar area and asked for a glass of ice and a coffee that was on the bar top in a pump. I got a coffee and ice the person working the bar said that would be 3 euro. I told them how dare you even ask me to pay when part of my stay includes a hot shower!!!!! Extremely rude I thought. Its free parking but no hot water was not worth it.Will never stay here again!!!!

• 2 of 5 stars
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

just stay away.
it an ok hotel a little over priced due to its location and the service they offer.
i have been to worst hotel in the past since i travel a lot but i never encountered such bad service by hotel staff
they treated us like we did them a favor that we chose this hotel.

• 1 of 5 stars
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, November 16, 2013

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The food at hotel horrible and over priced the waitresses was playing with her hair then slicing bread
You will have to pay a tax charge per night per person for entering Holland overall the hotel said they couldn't provide a double bed and all rooms are twin beds not good for couples

• Stayed October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

I hope to meet you again in one of the hotels from the Bastion Hotel Groep.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

The male staff in this hotel were very very helpful. Can't say the same about some of the female staff. .massive chips on some of their shoulders.was supposed to sleep 5.but only slept 4.the food was ok bit a bit pricey.if your not white you ain't right!

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank lialialialia
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013