“Where is the service?!”

Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel
Ranked #246 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I will start by saying that I have not slept in this hotel, however, I have helped my in-laws during the check in process at the hotel, and what I have encountered was just really bad. To get the right set of sentiment, I would like to add that my in-laws arrived Amsterdam airport at 6.40 am (after a 19 hour trip), and check-in is possible from 2 pm, according to the booking confirmation.

When we arrived at the hotel, around 2.10 pm, there was a long line, however, we were assisted quite fast (5 minute waiting time). The GM (Maik Willems) told us we had to wait around 5 to 10 minutes to be given the room, which was still being cleaned. After 30 minutes of waiting, we went back to the frontdesk and asked the GM why it is taking so long, and here is where honestly i was a bit mind-blown...

He told me that check-in is from 2pm, and that it means that the room from that moment on is guaranteed for the night. In my opinion, a guaranteed room for the night starts the moment you get a booking confirmation and have paid your room (especially since the rate is non-refundable). I asked the GM that in his explanation it might very well be that the room for my inlaws was available at 11pm. He then replied that i do have to be "reasonable". Things were very busy and the GM does not want to give out a dirty room. I asked if he can confirm to me that check out time is at 12 noon, check in starts at 2 and if all the guests have checked out all together exactly at noon, making the staff so busy that they cannot finish a room before the check-in time. He then said that ofcourse not all the guests have checked out, but he only has 9 suites, 4 were availbale right at 2 pm but since we were a bit later than 2pm there were no more suites at this moment, and we had to wait untill the room was cleaned. There are systems in the hotel, that the GM did not want to "bore me with".

In my opinion, there is a fundamental wrong way of thinking. Check in at 2pm means a room is availble at 2pm. If you check out late without consulting the hotelstaff first, it also seems reasonable that you will be charged for that. Why then stick to a check out time, but a hotel will not stick to a check in time? If this represents the corporates opinion on hotelling, I will have to advise everyone to not book at any of the Bastion hotels.

I felt i was not being taken seriously at all. The GM offered a drink in the minibar, but the whole point is that after a 19 hour trip, 5 hours of having to wait between arrival at the airport check-in time (which is not the hotels fault ofcourse) and then another long time you just want to have a bed to sleep in. It is THAT simple. Hotels should provide for this.If the hotel is understaffed, then just say so, but dont act as if it is our fault or our problem to have to wait until 3.20pm to be able to step into the room. I have noticed the GM is replying to tripadvisor comments here, but these are all standard comments. I am very interested in his comment on this post.

Let's give them a compliment also because the room was clean. There were two single beds and a sofabed. The bathroom was very clean, with a good shower (nice hard water-flow).

I for sure will not recommend this hotel to my friends and family, but I do hope that they are able to improve their service (again... service). I feel a bit bad for giving a 1 out of 5 score, since the room is really not bad, but i have slept in crappy rooms with excellent service which i will take anytime over being treated this way.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 1, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jan O
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hotel was welcoming and I found the rooms to be clean and the staff helpful. The beds are very comfy and the water was allways hot. The hotel has a bar which was circa 4.80 Euro a pint (Which is cheap for Amsterdam) and a restaurante which looked nice. the location to Overamster station was ok around 7 mins walk, you then have to change at Spaklerweg to get to Amstredam Central, ut very frequent trains. All round a very pleasent stay. The Metro runs by the side of the hotel, but its quiet and didnt bother us at all.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leeroytran
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

I hope to meet you again in one of the hotels from the Bastion Hotel Groep.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Agree with all travelers- this is a terrible place. Also one more thing- my money got stolen from the electronic safe. HOtel refused to acknowledge the incident and denied anything could happen. really rude and condescending behaviour. have had to file a police complaint.

Room Tip: Do not stay here- thieves
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Following your review comments regarding our Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel we wish to take this opportunity and thank you for your time and effort to inform us of your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as this supports us to improve areas required to ensure we do exceed our guests expectations. Please do accept our apologies for the lack of service that affected your enjoyment of your stay and disturbing experience with our employees and thieves. Please rest assured that these topics are being evaluated with our management team.

The Bastion hotel group strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest and despite your unpleasant stay at our Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Amstel. We do hope to welcome you again in one of our other hotels.

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

Mitchel van Dijk
E-Commerce

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very disapointed by this hotel, dirty and expensive for the quality of the services and the rooms. The food was not good also and the rooms were really nothing more.
The only postive point was the attendance of the waiters which was good and professional.
But I would say, avoid it as I paid 190 Euros for a single night for a hotel I would pay 90 Euros in Paris or 100 Euros in London.

1  Thank Laurent B

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you can accept my apologies.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

It was a busy place, simple rooms, enough parking lot. To the metro you have to walk 10 min. And the metro takes 15 min. to the centre. The hotel itself placed in the middle of a business park. The provided food isn't very impressive but expensive. Two nights were ok, but I'm not sure if I would book it again. One staff lady (iris) was really unfriendly! But the nightshift guy was very helpful and told us where to park at night in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear guest,

I hope to meet you again in one of the hotels from the Bastion Hotel Groep.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have to say I believe several of the previous reviewers were being a bit generous. I knew it was not a good sign that the person in front of me during check in was not actually checking in—she had actually already checked in and come down to say that her room wasn’t clean. I also didn’t think it was a good sign that the artwork in my room was a canvas print photo of a rusting metal wall.

While not true of everybody the number of unhelpful and condescending people at the front desk was surprising. The consistent attitude was a shrug of the shoulders indicating that’s just the way it is. The safe in my colleague’s room did not work apparently because it did not have batteries. To their credit they did come the next day and put new batteries in. Unfortunately it still did not work so they left a note saying ‘must be broken’ but no offer of any other help.

I know that Amsterdam does not have a large need for air conditioning, however the week of my stay it was quite warm every day. Because the AC in the room did not work the temperature stayed a consistent 26/27 degrees Celsius (79/81 degrees Fahrenheit). We tried opening the window at night but the room temperature never dropped below 26, the noise of the construction also made it difficult to sleep—I’m not sure who does jackhammer type construction at quarter to one in the morning. I stopped by the front desk each morning to ask someone to take a look and called each day at lunchtime each day for three days. I did not get a single response, note or follow up. Each time I called on the phone the engineers were always ‘looking at it’, or ‘it must be broken’. On the second day I asked if there were a room where it did work to which the reply was “not in your room class”. When I asked if it worked in any room at all as I was willing to pay for whatever room class was necessary the response was “I’m sorry but we would have to look at each room to find out”. They never did let me know.

These are just the major things, more minor things would include a variety of thin and stained towels (some plain, some Bastion, some Best Western), free wifi that has apparently been compromised as Gmail sent me a warning note saying they would not allow email to/from that ip address, hangers with rods so smooth my suit trousers would repeatedly slide off, no queen/double size sheet for a requested double room, just two made up twins pushed together (I know European hotels generally just push the twins together however they generally do have the right size sheets and duvets), location next to a gas station and having to cross a highway to get to the walking path to the metro station.

I debated between 1 and 2 stars as it wasn’t completely without merit however in the end I had to give it one star simply due to the proactively unhelpful nature of too many of the staff in the instances noted above and others.

Room Tip: A room in a different hotel would be good
2  Thank gazza68