See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 7, 2018 via mobile

Upon arriving in Amsterdam it was very clear to us that there was a definite cultural difference. This was made adamant to us when we checked in to the notorious hotel nieuw Slotania....a steaming pile of dung in the middle of our room. Despite cleaners being available this evidence was merely hidden by a sparkling white towel and some budget toilet paper. The dung was not removed despite requests to members of staff. As if the non Andrex toilet tissue and pile of excrement was not enough the fact that the hotel is undergoing a hefty renovation project is a bit undesirable. Perhaps as a suggestion they should upgrade on the privy first!

Stayed: April 2018, traveled on business
1  Thank mikeyc_nanana
Reviewed March 28, 2018 via mobile

stayed here last week all though the rooms are shabby and in need of a renovation we found them clean and tidy(exept the chairs in the room was fully of stains and blood) had clean towels every day and found all the staff friendly and helpful.. you get what you pay for

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jordan C
Reviewed March 23, 2018

Well what can I say ! We weren’t advised of any renovations when booking, which you cannot miss from the moment you walk through the boarded up doors of the hotel. There’s dirt and dust everywhere, The rooms are old stanined with I’m not sure! There’s a funny smell from the bathroom which wasn’t pleasant. People drinking and smoking in the corridors which is not allowed. On a good note transport connection to the centre was good with trams and buses outside the hotel.

Stayed: March 2018
2  Thank Aeris77
Reviewed March 14, 2018

My two friends and I travelled to Amsterdam last weekend, for a hen party. We were booked to stay in this monstrosity for two nights. We arrived on Friday night and immediately saw that one of the main doors to the hotel was boarded up. Not a great first impression, whatever the reason for it. We walked into the hotel reception and there was a member of staff sloshing what appeared to be a mop bucket full of undiluted detergent, onto the floor. We were greeted by an affable man on the reception desk, who checked us in, informed us where the breakfast room was and reminded us of the no smoking policy. There were signs in reception, advising guests that there were some renovations being carried out in the hotel. The reception area looked run down, but we just put it down to the works. Next to the lift, there were mattresses haphazardly stacked on top of each other, and there were also bed frames basically thrown around and not stacked. We hoped we had witnessed the worst.

The lift had also had some detergent sloshed around on the floor, but surprisingly, had not been swept. We arrived on our floor and exited the lift to what looked like the set of a horror movie. The corridors are dark and dingy, with the filthiest carpet I've ever seen in my life. I wouldn't be surprised if there were new species of life in that carpet, lying as yet undiscovered.

We found our room and I think I speak for everyone in my party when I say, we really wished we hadn't found it. I'm not joking when I say, it made those rooms on the Febreze commercials look clean. We'd booked a family room, which comprised of two small double beds on the rear wall, and a set of bunk beds on the left. The walls had black stains and dents on them. The beds were covered in stains, which my friend thought were the result of sexual activity. All I can say is; if you can become sexually aroused in a room like that, you need serious psychiatric help. There were chairs next to the beds, which were sporting some very strange stains. We pulled the bunk beds away from the wall, and the walls and skirting boards were covered in black mould. There were some odd pipes hanging from the ceiling and a hole, which had been plugged with paper.

I had a quick scan round the room for hidden cameras, because I was convinced this was some sort of wind up and Ant and Dec were going to come bursting through our door, any second. There were two doors on the right. The first one was for a storage cupboard/wardrobe, which was mouldy and in-keeping with the general theme of the room. Fully accepting the possibility that we may need to undergo years of therapy for PTSD, we bravely opened the door to the bathroom. The first thing that hit us, was the strong smell of mould. Surprisingly, the bathroom looked clean and modern. So why did it smell so bad? Because the shower screen was mouldy, and there were no sources of ventilation.

There was a fire exit door next to the bunk beds, which I am of the opinion would be about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, because the mould has probably sealed it shut. I think it was supposed to be white, but the black mould made it difficult to be 100% certain.

I think my sense of humour had left and was waiting for me outside the hotel, because I couldn't even find the funny side of this. I daren't unpack, mainly because I had planned on taking some souvenirs home with me, but didn't think my family would appreciate me bringing back some sort of bacterial superbug. I later saw a review on here, which said there were mouse holes in one of the rooms. We didn't see any mice, so we assumed they'd committed suicide en masse.

We were due to meet the rest of our hen party, who were staying with my friend's cousin, who lives in Amsterdam. We left the hotel, wiping our feet on the way out and decided to ask my friend's cousin if she had room for three more guests. Luckily, my friend's cousin was able to accommodate us, so we decided to go back to the hotel the next day, to check out and complain about the substandard conditions.

We returned to the hotel the next day and took photographs of our room, and the rest of the hotel. We approached the reception desk and were greeted by a young woman, who said the manager wasn't on the premises. We left a message with her, to say were weren't happy with the hotel and we wanted a refund. She asked us to return the following day, which we weren't prepared to do. We are still waiting for the hotel manager to contact us.

This hotel is a serious health hazard, especially as we had a pregnant woman in our party. I am in the process of reporting the hotel to the relevant health authorities in Amsterdam.

Stayed: March 2018
3  Thank Caroline M
Reviewed March 12, 2018

Booked 5 nights in Amsterdam, but didn't want to be to close to the centre so saw this hotel. 3 star, Breakfast and a safe in the room included perfect.

Like a lot of others have said the area was very shady and rough.

I thought the hotel would be better so was still optimistic. The entrance looked quite posh.

The city tax was paid which was like 35 euros and was handed the keys.

The further I went up the building the more it looked like a London council block of flats it became. There was people drinking in the hallways the decor was dated and tired.

My optimism was slowly going and knew I had made a mistake with this place.

I opened the door to my room to be greeted with a small box room with a tv and one small table and a fresh fragrance of sewage. The safe... well if you could call it that was pointless.

The heaters were locked on, so it was boiling, the curtain were thin so everyone could see you through the window from the communal balcony.

The only positive was the bathroom did look like it had be done up and was modern.

I heard the neighbour who had just arrived as well complaining how bad there room was as well.

I complained about the smell but couldn't move me to another room.

So within 30minutes I was already looking for another hotel, mind you when its getting near midnight it was difficult.

I gave them the keys back and said I wasn't staying and I got a taxi and went to another hotel (Hotel ibis), even the taxi driver said this was not a nice place. The hotel ibis although a chain hotel and 2star it felt like 5 star compared to what I had left.

The joke of the trip was calling that place scumtania hotel.

Even if you were looking for a hostel, you wouldn't want to stay here.

Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled with friends