“I can't recommend it to anyone”

Nieuw Slotania Hotel
Ranked #337 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Budapest, Hungary
“I can't recommend it to anyone”
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a interesting arabian neighborhood 20 min away from the city center. Rooms are clean but the heating system was not working in november so it was freezing cold. Service was terrible, staff was unpleasant, food was bad, and there was no wifi at all ( they said its temporalry off, well they couldnt fix it for 4 days).

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Gyula N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I was so worried about staying here having read some of the reviews that have been posted.

*Negatives*
• the hotel is situated around 15 minutes away from dam centre.
• the hotel is 35% (in my opinion) rundown - needs new furnishings, new carpets etc.
• the hotels guests are predominantly young tourists, meaning noisy night times.
• the hotel is in some what of a seedy area, lots of Muslims.
• very noisy at nighttime as it is next to a main road, got woken up from 2am - 4am from loud exhausts.
• the t.v remote control had Sellotape holding the batteries in.
•the carpet was quite gross looking I didn't like to go bare foot.
• hotel receptionist was a little too jokey.
• young local men became a little harassing as we walked to the hotel late at night.
• hair dryer is absolutely shockingly slow it took me about 15 mins to dry my hair normally takes 5 if that!

*positives*
• my friend and I booked the holiday through easyjet holidays and paid £160pp for 17th July for 2 nights departing at 11 on 19th July inc breakfast.
• it really is OK it will do just for sleeping.
• our bed was very comfy, duvet and 1 big feather pillow.
• tv channels 30 & 31 are English.
• the hotel has vending machines in the foyer

I wouldn't stay here again.
It's not terrible but it's really not that great, being female I felt that the local men starred a little too long and local men/young men drove past in cars one after the other hollering something absurd out their car windows which obviously made me feel un comfy and I could've really enjoyed amsterdam a whole lot more if I was staying somewhere closer to dam sq. it's definitely worth spending just a little more for peace of mind and well being.

FYI - bus 21 from central station goes to the hotel. It drops you off about a 3 minute walk a way from the hotel.
Tram 14 and tram 7 also go to the hotel just across the road.
Tram 14 goes from dam sq
Tram 7 goes from Leidsplein. And because you'll be using transport quite often, save your self money by opting for the 24hr tram/bus ticket it costs about €7-8 as opposed to single tickets €2,80 that lasts for just 1hr.

Write that info down on paper so it helps you! I had to figure it all out for myself. Hardly any dutch people speak English and I found them to be on the verge of being quite rude.
That was my 3rd trip to the dam, and I'm pretty sure it'll be the last. It gets a little boring on the 3rd time.
Take plenty of money food and drinks are very expensive. A bottle of water cost me €4.30 in the grasshopper cafe!
Spacecakes are around €8-10

Have a good trip!

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank Ritasinita

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is not in the best area and at times felt unsafe - although it has fantastic access to public transport.

I stayed in two rooms here. 2 nights in a quad share which was clean and nice. 1 night in a private room which was disgusting. There was no window in the room and the bathroom opened onto the bedroom, so it was steamy and mouldy.

The staff were friendly enough and the wifi access was great. Not a bad place - but would consider elsewhere first.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The guy at the desk was friendly. Think he's the manager . Room was not bad but the windows were filthy could do with a right old clean. The curtains had bullet holes in them. They never cleared the mess from are room rather let it pile up. Location was far from the centre had 2 ride a tram and bus. Big 2.80 euro a time. Watch out 4 the guy at the breakfast bar he's dodgy. Breakfast was included in my deal and he tried 2 charge me 5 euro. When I didn't comply he ran upstairs like a baby 2 complain saying I was rude. Lift takes forever better of walking the stairs. There's a good shopping centre opposite which is ok.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Jaystar1983
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Be careful, I cancelled my room two weeks before I was meant to stay and have been charged for the stay anyway. Even calling them up the staff were incredibly rude, unhelpful and uncaring at the fact that I had been charged about 150 quid. Took me 3 days of calling up to constant delays before I even spoke to a manager. Don't ever stay here.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jack R
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Booked hotel through easyjet site,then read reviews and wondered what I was going to. This was birthday treat for my husband. Hotel was situated in a Turkish area,but great access to trams getting into the city was easy. Our room was good ,this is a 2 star hotel,bed was clean,comfortable with good an suite bathroom,great shower. Breakfast was more than adequate. Yes there are a lot of coach tours,young people staying there,but there was no trouble,and seeing as my husband and I are in our 60s,we thoroughly enjoyed our first trip to Amsterdam,it won't be our last.

• Stayed June 2013
Blumenau, SC
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I had an awful impression of this hotel as I first walked into the lobby, but I didn't have much of a choice because all other places had no vacancy. The staff isn't friendly, the hostel isn't really organized and some places were even dirty or had damaged furniture. I was lucky, though; my friend and I got to stay in an extremely comfortable room for 4 people, with cable TV, excellent private bathroom and brand new bunk beds. I think a part of the hostel was reformed, and we had the chance to get one of those new rooms. If you have the chance, ask for a room in the new part of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends