“Unimpressive; will not be returning.”

Nieuw Slotania Hotel
Ranked #340 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for two nights in December 2012. We stayed here as part of a deal with easyjet, and the hotel was inexpensive. It was easy to see why the hotel was cheap, as there were dirty/make up fingerprints all over our room, the carpet was patchy and stained and the curtains were covered in dust and had several holes on them. The bathroom was small but clean, bar a few smears on the mirror. The beds were made but the bedding didn't appear fresh. The complimentary breakfast was basic but filling and set us up for our day of touring around the city. Our overnight stay on the first night went without incident, but our second night was very unpleasant as from 12-5am there were several groups of people running up and down the corridors screaming, shouting, knocking and kicking at the doors. Whilst not the fault of the staff at the hotel, it was very frightening and intimidating and meant we were awake for a considerable amount of time. I did not feel safe nor feel able to make a complaint as customer service was very poor and we did not trust the matter would be dealt with adequately. An example of the poor customer service at this hotel was when we checked out, we handed in the keys and the staff member who took our keys off us immediately said "Goodbye". I was very unimpressed with this hotel and will not be returning. In short, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people staying on couples/family/solo breaks but for groups of friends looking for a cheap place to stay on a weekend visit this would probably suit your needs if you are absolutely desperate to keep the costs down.

Room Tip: Not suitable for couples or families.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Reviewer_A187062

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went to Amsterdam for a short city break and now I'm in love in this place! The city is gorgeous and you will enjoy it if you love museums, flowers, and long romantic walks. The hotel is only 15 minute way by tram from Dam and 15 min from the Central station. There is 2 trams (number 7 and 14) and few buses which all stop next to hotel. It looks more hostel than hotel, but the room was OK, small, clean, with very nice bath and TV and comfy beds. We had a continental breakfast and the cappuccino was really good. The hotel has free Wi-fi but only if your room is not too far from the reception. There are 2 completely free of charge computers in the first floor next to the lift. You can get a free Amsterdam map from the reception. It is a small shopping center opposite the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor room in the back side of the hotel.
1  Thank GFrida
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! The reception staff were rude and unfriendly and left us waiting over 2 hours for our room without a luggage store. Honestly I have never had worst customer service, how they are still employed is beyond me.
The rooms was tiny, dirty and the heating seemed to be set on super high with no way of turning it down, location is not great its a good 20 minute tram ride into central Amsterdam bit of a problem if you want to go on a night out.
Nothing really positive I can say about it i'm afraid. Never again!!!

2  Thank Cathaeldoll
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Having read several more reviews after I made the booking, I was very worried about what to expect as there was a very high level of negative reviews.
Firstly, it was on the cheaper end of the scale, not a 5* establishment-I knew that when I booked it, so I didn't expect 5* service.
Room-very clean, size didn't matter it was a place to sleep and it wasn't that small. Clean bedding and towels every day.
Breakfast-basic but edible, again I knew that when I booked.
Staff-Fantastic! very helpful, spoke good English-I can't fault them.
Location-So you have to take a tram, 20 minutes-ish on the 14. And........wasn't an issue for me, they ran every 10 minutes pretty much up to 1a.m. simple to use, easy to follow tram map, I had no issues. Also there is a great friendly bar just across the road. Gina was absolutely lovely, even served us some hot nibbles free of charge. Well worth a visit.
To sum up. You get what you pay for, and I think I got excellent value.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel is decent, breakfast is nice and the rooms are with bog beds and little room around them. At least ours was. The location is a bit far from the city centre - 1:30 hour walk - but it's right next to a bus stop so you can easily go around and wherever we were, there was always a bus we could take that passes by the hotel.

The shower had a bit of an issue but not anything critical and the air con worked on an on and off basis - when you turned it on, it didn't stop at a certain temperature but rather turned the room into a sauna. Considering the temperature ourside, we considered that a plus rather than a minus :) overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 20, 2013

THE INTRODUCTION
I went with a few classmates to Amsterdam for Spring Break. We stayed in the hotel for 2 days. We were looking for somewhere cheap but close to the city. We chose this hotel because it was cheaper then hotels or hostels in the center of the city and it was a 20 minute bus or tram ride away from the central station in Amsterdam.

THE TRANSPORTATION
We arrived at Amsterdam Schiphol airport and took the B69 bus directly to the hotel (Stop: Plein 40-45) The hostel recommended taking a train to the central station then taking the bus to the hostel but I looked it up online and that was 1 minute faster and inefficient because of the transfer.

THE LOCATION
The hotel is located in a very very Turkish neighborhood. The area surrounding the hotel is a bit dreary and the hotel itself looks like a motel from the exterior. It's a very drab area that has a few restaurants and retail stores along the main street but they are mostly neighborhood amenities. The area doesn't resemble Amsterdam at all and feels like it could be any urban area in any urban city.
It is a 20 minute bus or tram ride away from the center which doesn't sound like much but makes going out at night a complicated affair in terms of planning how to get back late.

THE ROOM
The room itself was located on the second floor (America third floor) of the hotel outside a small narrow outdoor walkway that faced the back alley of the hotel. The bathroom was small and disgusting, the beds were short and narrow and the room itself was cramped and depressing. The sheets and bedding however were comfortable. Our room had three beds and one bathroom. Late at night the walls are paper thin and all noises can be heard. A drunken man was furiously pounding on a door at 2 in the morning and woke us all up.

THE CONCLUSION
It is worth the extra cost to stay in the center of the city especially if you don't have a lot of time. The location does not feel like you are a part of Amsterdam but if you spend all day outside that is not a problem. Unless you want to go out at night then it is difficult to plan and figure out transportation. If I did it again, I would pay more and stay in the center of the city.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

After reading reviews for this hotel I was mildly horrified and was dreading my trip, however once I arrived I soon realise that the hotel wasn't bad at all. I didn't chose the hotel, it was part of a package I paid and was very cheap so I thought it was excellent value for money. There were four of us in my room which had two very comfy bunk beds. The bathroom was modern and spacious and the shower was better than my one at home! Fresh towels everyday and breakfast wasn't bad either (continental but still a wide choice). The hotel is situated quite far away from the town centre but we caught a tram that only took about 20 mins. There was a convenient super market across the road and reception were very helpful. For a group of students expecting a grotty hostel, we felt like we were in heaven!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends