“Don't be put off by negative reviews”

Nieuw Slotania Hotel
Ranked #340 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Having read several more reviews after I made the booking, I was very worried about what to expect as there was a very high level of negative reviews.
Firstly, it was on the cheaper end of the scale, not a 5* establishment-I knew that when I booked it, so I didn't expect 5* service.
Room-very clean, size didn't matter it was a place to sleep and it wasn't that small. Clean bedding and towels every day.
Breakfast-basic but edible, again I knew that when I booked.
Staff-Fantastic! very helpful, spoke good English-I can't fault them.
Location-So you have to take a tram, 20 minutes-ish on the 14. And........wasn't an issue for me, they ran every 10 minutes pretty much up to 1a.m. simple to use, easy to follow tram map, I had no issues. Also there is a great friendly bar just across the road. Gina was absolutely lovely, even served us some hot nibbles free of charge. Well worth a visit.
To sum up. You get what you pay for, and I think I got excellent value.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel is decent, breakfast is nice and the rooms are with bog beds and little room around them. At least ours was. The location is a bit far from the city centre - 1:30 hour walk - but it's right next to a bus stop so you can easily go around and wherever we were, there was always a bus we could take that passes by the hotel.

The shower had a bit of an issue but not anything critical and the air con worked on an on and off basis - when you turned it on, it didn't stop at a certain temperature but rather turned the room into a sauna. Considering the temperature ourside, we considered that a plus rather than a minus :) overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 20, 2013

THE INTRODUCTION
I went with a few classmates to Amsterdam for Spring Break. We stayed in the hotel for 2 days. We were looking for somewhere cheap but close to the city. We chose this hotel because it was cheaper then hotels or hostels in the center of the city and it was a 20 minute bus or tram ride away from the central station in Amsterdam.

THE TRANSPORTATION
We arrived at Amsterdam Schiphol airport and took the B69 bus directly to the hotel (Stop: Plein 40-45) The hostel recommended taking a train to the central station then taking the bus to the hostel but I looked it up online and that was 1 minute faster and inefficient because of the transfer.

THE LOCATION
The hotel is located in a very very Turkish neighborhood. The area surrounding the hotel is a bit dreary and the hotel itself looks like a motel from the exterior. It's a very drab area that has a few restaurants and retail stores along the main street but they are mostly neighborhood amenities. The area doesn't resemble Amsterdam at all and feels like it could be any urban area in any urban city.
It is a 20 minute bus or tram ride away from the center which doesn't sound like much but makes going out at night a complicated affair in terms of planning how to get back late.

THE ROOM
The room itself was located on the second floor (America third floor) of the hotel outside a small narrow outdoor walkway that faced the back alley of the hotel. The bathroom was small and disgusting, the beds were short and narrow and the room itself was cramped and depressing. The sheets and bedding however were comfortable. Our room had three beds and one bathroom. Late at night the walls are paper thin and all noises can be heard. A drunken man was furiously pounding on a door at 2 in the morning and woke us all up.

THE CONCLUSION
It is worth the extra cost to stay in the center of the city especially if you don't have a lot of time. The location does not feel like you are a part of Amsterdam but if you spend all day outside that is not a problem. Unless you want to go out at night then it is difficult to plan and figure out transportation. If I did it again, I would pay more and stay in the center of the city.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

After reading reviews for this hotel I was mildly horrified and was dreading my trip, however once I arrived I soon realise that the hotel wasn't bad at all. I didn't chose the hotel, it was part of a package I paid and was very cheap so I thought it was excellent value for money. There were four of us in my room which had two very comfy bunk beds. The bathroom was modern and spacious and the shower was better than my one at home! Fresh towels everyday and breakfast wasn't bad either (continental but still a wide choice). The hotel is situated quite far away from the town centre but we caught a tram that only took about 20 mins. There was a convenient super market across the road and reception were very helpful. For a group of students expecting a grotty hostel, we felt like we were in heaven!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed here as a stop in my Contiki tour, so I'm not sure what the price was so I can't compare value for money - however I'm a travel agent, so I always provide a fair review.

My room was facing the street, which I had anticipated to be noisy, but it wasn't at all. The bed was two twins pushed together each with it's own bedding, the room was small with just enough space to walk around the bed on all sides, not much extra space for suitcases. The bathroom was spacious enough, no bathtub but a nice shower, the sink had a crack in it, but this is a minor detail. The room was clean, the bed comfortable - pillows were a little flat, again for a night or two it's a decent place to sleep.

I did find it a little difficult to find the room as we had to go up the stairs and then out to the outside corridor and then into a different hallway that housed about 3 or 4 rooms, these aren't very clearly marked but was not a big deal.

We had breakfast and dinner here, nothing fancy, also nothing to complain about. Good selection for breakfast compared to some other lower class hotels in Europe. It was a decent location, just a short taxi ride into the main part of the city.

Overall it's a decent place to rest your head, with no "bells and whistles". If you're not planning on spending a lot of time in your room this is a good place. For those who prefer more luxury and amenities, you will not be happy here. I'd recommend this hotel to backpackers and young travellers who don't want to stay in a hostel, but would be cautious recommending to families or couples.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ChristineL1084
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend on our weekend away in February 2013..
and to be honest, i was panicking after reading a few reviews on here, but had i had nothing to worry about atol!
Yes the location isnt exactly central but the bus runs across the road ALL the time and we were back and forward from the town every few hours.
at night after the drinking was done we got a taxi to save hassle as we were a bit worse for wear and that in itself only cost around 15-20 EURO.
on the Friday after ariving we spent our night in a cosy little pub just 5 minutes along the road and on the Saturday morning we went to the market directly across the road before heading into town.
The staff were friendly and very helpful, while the room was basic it was still very clean and comfy.
Defo recomend it for those on a low budget.
Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Harriss5
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel was fine for what we were looking for: inexpensive place to sleep with breakfast for an extended weekend get away with friends. No major gripes, but just be aware that it is definitely not for you if you are expecting luxury, are picky, are too much over 30 ish, or want something romantic.

Positives: Room cleaned everyday & they did a good job, location next to bus route with easy access to Amsterdam, free breakfast was good, price was very good. Across from a supermarket. Shower was hot and bed was comfortable enough. They also had computers which was nice.

Be aware:
Rooms are small, it is not walking distance from downtown -but there are bus routes nearby, lots of younger adult and adolescents stay here = noise. Hotel is somewhat rundown and parts are a little messy, drab and narrow.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends