“Pleasantly Surprised”

Nieuw Slotania Hotel
Ranked #340 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 14, 2013

After reading reviews for this hotel I was mildly horrified and was dreading my trip, however once I arrived I soon realise that the hotel wasn't bad at all. I didn't chose the hotel, it was part of a package I paid and was very cheap so I thought it was excellent value for money. There were four of us in my room which had two very comfy bunk beds. The bathroom was modern and spacious and the shower was better than my one at home! Fresh towels everyday and breakfast wasn't bad either (continental but still a wide choice). The hotel is situated quite far away from the town centre but we caught a tram that only took about 20 mins. There was a convenient super market across the road and reception were very helpful. For a group of students expecting a grotty hostel, we felt like we were in heaven!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Nieuw Slotania Hotel

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed here as a stop in my Contiki tour, so I'm not sure what the price was so I can't compare value for money - however I'm a travel agent, so I always provide a fair review.

My room was facing the street, which I had anticipated to be noisy, but it wasn't at all. The bed was two twins pushed together each with it's own bedding, the room was small with just enough space to walk around the bed on all sides, not much extra space for suitcases. The bathroom was spacious enough, no bathtub but a nice shower, the sink had a crack in it, but this is a minor detail. The room was clean, the bed comfortable - pillows were a little flat, again for a night or two it's a decent place to sleep.

I did find it a little difficult to find the room as we had to go up the stairs and then out to the outside corridor and then into a different hallway that housed about 3 or 4 rooms, these aren't very clearly marked but was not a big deal.

We had breakfast and dinner here, nothing fancy, also nothing to complain about. Good selection for breakfast compared to some other lower class hotels in Europe. It was a decent location, just a short taxi ride into the main part of the city.

Overall it's a decent place to rest your head, with no "bells and whistles". If you're not planning on spending a lot of time in your room this is a good place. For those who prefer more luxury and amenities, you will not be happy here. I'd recommend this hotel to backpackers and young travellers who don't want to stay in a hostel, but would be cautious recommending to families or couples.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ChristineL1084
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend on our weekend away in February 2013..
and to be honest, i was panicking after reading a few reviews on here, but had i had nothing to worry about atol!
Yes the location isnt exactly central but the bus runs across the road ALL the time and we were back and forward from the town every few hours.
at night after the drinking was done we got a taxi to save hassle as we were a bit worse for wear and that in itself only cost around 15-20 EURO.
on the Friday after ariving we spent our night in a cosy little pub just 5 minutes along the road and on the Saturday morning we went to the market directly across the road before heading into town.
The staff were friendly and very helpful, while the room was basic it was still very clean and comfy.
Defo recomend it for those on a low budget.
Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Harriss5
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel was fine for what we were looking for: inexpensive place to sleep with breakfast for an extended weekend get away with friends. No major gripes, but just be aware that it is definitely not for you if you are expecting luxury, are picky, are too much over 30 ish, or want something romantic.

Positives: Room cleaned everyday & they did a good job, location next to bus route with easy access to Amsterdam, free breakfast was good, price was very good. Across from a supermarket. Shower was hot and bed was comfortable enough. They also had computers which was nice.

Be aware:
Rooms are small, it is not walking distance from downtown -but there are bus routes nearby, lots of younger adult and adolescents stay here = noise. Hotel is somewhat rundown and parts are a little messy, drab and narrow.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My daughter and partner stayed at this hotel for less than 30 minutes. They arrived and decided to rest for a couple of hours before venturing out sight seeing. The bedroom was filthy dirty and beds rife with bed bugs, my daughter called and I told her to leave the room immediately and complain to easy jet, who basically told them to move rooms and get on with it! They ended up catching the next flight home as they could not afford another hotel. Be warned, this hotel is absolutely disgusting and easy jet should be ashamed of themselves for sending unsuspecting travellers to on a journey to hell.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank debsel
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel is huge. I got lost about 4 times during our two night stay. But I can't complain about the facilities in the room. The beds were perfect, and the bathroom was very spacious. If you like your fast food, there is Ferbo right around the corner, and the Plein '40 - '45 tram stops right ourside.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Aaron H
Reviewed February 21, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Sergei S