See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 10, 2012

very concerned when we arrived, as there was a convention in teh city of Amsterdam, choice was very limited, 3 nights cost me over £450.00. the bed was clean, but the curtains were dirty, there were no tea making facilities in teh room, the bathroom was new but smelt terrible. My husband and I however travelled into the centre of Amsterdam daily so we did not spend much time in the hotel. of an evening and through the night people were running up and down the corridors banging on doors. The area is a little run down but the locals were very friendly. we had to leave early for the airport on the Sunday and having been told breakfast was served daily from 7 was quite annoyed that ion the Sunday breakfast was at 8, we were not told this and if we had we would not have travlled to the airport hungry.
I wouldn't return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid unless you are used to living in squallor
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen A
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Last minute booking, 1 night cost €176, it's by far the worse hotel I've ever stayed in, I board my dog in far nicer kennels, dirty and very run down, could hear everything the couple in the room next door was doing, music being played to 4am, very unhelpful staff, bed linen I don't believe was changed from the last guest, tiny filthy room, the type of place you imagine charges by the hour, I can't stress how filthy the place was. €10 a night would be too expensive for this dreadful place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Len-G-Borg
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The Nieuw Slotania Hotel is very old hotel, and very cheap for families, but that's because it on the other side of town, where grocery stores and farmers market resides. The neighborhood is litter with trash, dirty sidewalks, and if you do not watch where you are going, you get hit by bicycles and motorbikes. When you first walk in the Nieuw Slotania Hotel reception, looks can be deceiving; the front desk staff was very kind and polite, and check in only require a passport. However, when we arrived at our floor (1st), the place showed true colors…RED dirty carpet, and the smell of cigarettes, liquor was apparent. Our room, small as most Europe hotels, looked ok, but as we opened the bathroom door the stench of a foul smell filled the entire room. The window was open and a small fan sat on the floor, as though it was trying to hide the smell. Breakfast was included with the price, and only consists of sandwich meats, cheese, boiled egg, tomatoes, cucumbers, cold cereal, coffee, & juices. It wasn’t very good. All that said, spend your money, and get somewhere you know it is clean and taken care of. We took pic’s of the old hotel. Never again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Santana57
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This place is called a 'hotel' but
after reading previous reviews and knowing Contiki use this place as accommodation the vibe I got was more of a hostel.
We stayed in a 4 bed room,which was 2 bunk beds.The room has the basics.a tv,a safe and a bathroom.the bathroom was clean.the bedding was comfortable but not overly clean.
I've stayed in a few hostels and this place wouldn't be up there with the best but it's definitely not the worst.
It's an easy 15minute tram to central Amsterdam.If you want a hotel I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Walkabout_Aussie13
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was the second hotel on a 22 day tour around Europe. I hadn't had many expectations for the hotels on tour but this one was pretty good. We were in a quad share room (2 bunk beds) which was clean and looked fairly new. TINY though, we couldnt fit all our suitcases in the space. The bathroomw as also clean and looked new, which is all you can ask really. However our room was facing a small access courtyard, which meant noisy at night as people came home. This is not really the fault of the hotel though. The bar downstairs was small but good fun of an evening and the breakfast was actually very good. Location was very handy for going into town, with a tram stop right outside. The post office across the road proved handy as lots of people posted things home, and there is a grocery store across the road. Felt safe in the nieghbourhood. The biggest let down was the staff, who were rude and an incident with one male staff member and a person on our tour resulted in the police having to be called and the staff member being fired. The wifi also was non functional. Definitely would not reccommend for families, but couples or groups looking for a half decent budget hotel would be fine. You dont go to Amsterdam to sit in your hotel room so if you're fine with a bit of a cramped space it would be a great hotel for you.

Room Tip: If you have a room which overlooks a courtyard / paved space, possibly ask to be moved as guests come in and out of the courtyard at all hours to get around the hotel and it was noisy!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends