WINNER WONDERLAND

“Beware the "inflated and extra costs"” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Monopole

Hotel Monopole
Ranked #309 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Beware the "inflated and extra costs"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Having booked this Hotel on short notice through LateRooms.com , I did not have high expectations, on any front. So despite having set the bar extraordinarily low , I still found points where the bar was way too high. Firstly, I would like to say that the staff that greeted me on my arrival could not have been more helpful or courteous.
The problem really lay in that I was expecting to pay certain amount, which incidentally was not trivial (175Euros) only to find out when I was "checking in" that my room rate went up by 10% (City and Credit Card Tax) , resulting in 192 Euros AND that although breakfast was included it only started at 8:30 am. I needed to leave the Hotel at 6am and so missed this out all together. Internet connectivity was extremely patchy and very slow to say the least. So all in all, I was personally very disappointed. As to the noise element that other reviewers seem to have experienced , luckily I didn't suffer this, though I was a guest for a mid week day and only for the one night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Geoff_Haederle
george-alliance, Manager at Hotel Monopole, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear guest,
there was no extra cost which we charged out of policy. All the cost which guest has to pay is mentioned on our website. It is Always better to inform us during your stay that we could find solution for your inconvince . Then there will be no dissopintment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Like climbing ladders to get to your room? Head banger music drifting up from the nightclub at street level til 4a.m.? Pot smoke choking in through open windows? This place is for you!

Our room on the top floor back side overlooked a wall of an adjacent building decorated with peace/love style words. It was OK, the wall was about 20 feet away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tim D
Dear sir,
if you found uncofertable , the please let us know during your stay, we can try to find better place or solution.

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location. I have read some very poor reviews for this hotel. I can only comment on my own experience. We had a room on the same level as reception. A good size and very clean. Breakfast was typical continental and was brought to the room at a time of our choice.That's about it for the good bits.
The room had no outside windows just two skylights...which was fine as we were only spending sleeping time in the room. However this made it difficult to get any air into the room, which became very stuffy in relatively cool weather. The worst aspect was the heavy low bass sound which was coming from a club or bar, this vibrated through the room until about 5am. Making any sleep fitful.I have read similar from another review, obviously nothing can be done or has been tried to reduce this.
Overall not a bad experience however, and if your a heavy sleeper you'll be fine.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SF_Rowe
george-alliance, Manager at Hotel Monopole, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your nice review that gives us more engery to give service and better hospitality.
Best Regards
Saint John, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Travelling to Amsterdam for a conference. Four of us stayed in this hotel. Suite had two separate but connected rooms (the guys stayed in one, the girls in the other). I enjoyed the hotel as it met our needs. We were not looking for anything fancy, we were simply wanting a place that was close to the center of Amsterdam where we could shower and sleep. Cost us a total €800 for Sunday check-in to Friday check-out.

Hotel was close to everything. Based on my one and only short interaction with the staff, they seemed nice and carried my luggage to my room, but besides that I can't comment too much on that. Our room was located several doors down from reception in another building which was strange at first but posed no problems.

Suite and rooms were spacious.
Room where the guys stayed: only one power outlet. Two single beds that consisted of two spring mattresses. Made for an unstable bed and my friend fell off bed during sleep, and I almost did as well. Window faced back of building into another suite..
Room where the girls stayed: nice view from window. They had a proper double bed. Many power outlets. They also has a couches and chairs, a table, and a kitchen area. Kitchen was equipped with plates, cups, etc, but they all looked dirty to me.
Bathroom was small but clean and had plenty of towels. Lots of hot water.

Cons: they seemed to cut corners on the decor, single beds, and outlets (I know I keep mentioning outlets but there were 4 of us with phones and laptops to charge). My only biggest complaint was the wifi, signal was very weak and kept cutting out on all of us.

Folks, if you stay here do not expect anything fancy. This is a place where you will sleep and shower. The location is enough to make it worth it, location is great. You're a little over 5 min walk to Dam Square, shops, bars, restaurants, everything.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank psychodc
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your good review. Hope to see u in future.
best reagrds
Newtownards, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went for 4 days for my birthday and stayed here. The room was small but had all we needed. Definitely not for those who are not into mountain climbing as that what it's like even getting to the reception and we where staying on the top floor. The rooms are clean. As for the breakfast its continental so your going be hungry afterwards. Not a bad location. 5 mins will walk you to dam square and lots of restaurants and coffee houses close to hand

• Stayed July 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Reception: After climbing a very steep stair we get to the reception where we are met with a polite lady on the desk who on seeing myself and partner exhausted after the climb, said, I will give you a room lower down as we were meant to be in a room at the top of the hotel. After paying £248.00 we proceed to climb yet another very steep staircase and eventually we get to the room.

Room: Small cramped room which the bed took up all the space, no drawers to put clothes in only a dirty cupboard with five hangers to put things in, so we decided to leave everything in our cases. The window to the room had a wonderful view of a back wall with strange writing on it and a cargo net covering wires and pipes and skylight windows from what I assume was a kitchen in either the hotel itself of something next door.

En-suite: Tightly compact toilet, shower and sink. If you are on the large side this en-suite is not for you as there is no room for manoeuvrability. The towels (two hand and two very small bath towels) these were never refreshed the whole time we stayed which was for three nights.

Breakfast: We paid for breakfast but were never told when breakfast would be served or let alone offered any at all, so cannot comment on the food as there was none given.

All in all it was a two star hotel but I would say they were very lucky to get the two stars as I would have given it zero for the fact that the photographs on the website show spacious rooms and sitting areas but the reality is that there is none of this going on in the hotel we stayed in. No value for money and precious little in customer service as staff were very thin on the ground apart from the one young man going around with a vacuum cleaner.

I will not be staying in this hotel ever again and would advice anyone else to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: As above try finding another hotel as this one is very disappointing in every way possible.