“Hotel Monopole... Did the job!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monopole

Hotel Monopole
Ranked #314 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Glasgow
“Hotel Monopole... Did the job!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at the hotel Monopole recently whilst in Amsterdam for a stag party. Usually, I stay in the Mercure (Arthur Frommer) which has always been excellent but, due to being part of a larger and less civilised group on this visit, we decided to try to find a hotel that could accommodate us all in a central location and at a decent price.

We chose Monopole as it met both the price and location considerations but also as it came recommended as a cheap and cheerful place to stay by one of the group who had visited previously.

We booked one treble room, one quadruple room and one single room (mine) on the internet and all in it was looking to be in the region of 100 Euro a night per head.

Reading the previous reviews of the hotel was, on the whole, a depressing experience, so I decided to ignore all that had gone before, give it a go and leave my own comments… So here goes!

I arrived at the hotel a little after 1pm with check in being advertised as available from this time. I found the hotel in a great location, close to the Amstel and just round the corner from Rembrantsplein, buzzed for entry and climbed the (steep) stairs to the reception desk. Check in proceeded to be a good experience with a pleasant lady on duty who took my details and payment (in cash) which included the notorious city tax but no other nasty surprises / deposits etc. Be warned – there is an additional charge for paying by credit card so take cash if you can.

I was given my room key and headed off to find my room which was up another flight of stairs in the main hotel. On arriving at the room I was met by a scene of utter carnage. The room was evidently not ready (in any way) and I was just about to question this with reception when a (very polite) member of staff appeared apologising profusely. No problem at all said I, as I had every intention of dropping my bag and going straight out anyway. I advised I would be out for at least a couple of hours, chucked my bag into the room and went to find beer and cheese.

On returning a good couple of hours later I headed back to the room and bumped into the same staff member on the way. He cracked a joke about the room still not being ready (nice touch if you are reading this) however, on opening the door with trepidation, I found he had done a lovely job. The room was unrecognisable compared to the state of carnage it had been in and I plonked myself down on the bed and had a look round. Although small, the room was clean, comfy, decently furnished and had a (good spec) telly, desk, sink / vanity unit and… hang on… Where is the en-suite? The answer was the en suite wasn’t en suite but next door, shared it would seem with another couple of rooms. Not exactly as advertised but on checking it out the shower room and toilet were very clean and new looking. Not being particularly perturbed by this I didn’t pass comment and didn’t really mind but I know this will bother some people more than others. Whilst the room had a window it was not graced with a view (opened onto a roof type area) but I wasn’t there to sit gazing out of the window anyway. If you want a great view go out the front door and find a nice bench to sit on by the Amstel.

The next three nights passed in decent comfort and without incident. I found the room to be a nice temperature, the TV had sufficient channels, there was plenty of hot water and the room was very nicely serviced each day with plenty of clean towels. I would agree with some comments that the rooms are noisy - you could certainly hear the nightclub close by on occasions (more bass than anything else) but I didn’t find it obtrusive… In fact it didn’t really bother me at all, but then again I am a rather good sleeper! I didn’t have breakfast (also due to my ability to sleep a lot) but my friends did and reported it to be perfectly satisfactory. On the subject of the rest of the group, both the quadruple and triple rooms were perfectly pleasant, clean and spacious enough, and their en suites were actually en suite! Bonus!

During my stay there was some refurbishment work going on which can only be a good thing for future guests and does at least show that they were investing in the fabric of the hotel. It was mainly cosmetic repairs being undertaken (painting etc) and, to their credit, they tried very hard not to inconvenience anyone whilst doing this.

So, in summary, this hotel, in my experience, did not deserve some of the slating it has had in other reports. Yes it was advertised as an en suite room and it wasn’t, but I found the staff to be polite and friendly and the general cleanliness was absolutely fine. Location is probably the consideration here… If you want a quiet hotel, get further out of the centre and away from the nightlife of Rembrantsplein. You could try the Mercure mentioned earlier. If you want to be in the middle of the action and can handle a bit of noise it’s a good spot. You will also get a bit more for your money if prepared to stay a bit further out and book well in advance.

Thank you, Monopole, for providing a perfectly acceptable place for our group to stay. I have given you 3 stars based on the fact that you exceeded my expectations but balanced with the fact that my en suite was not actually en suite. If I return to Amsterdam under similar circumstances I would certainly consider staying with you again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
george-alliance, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monopole, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear sir,
Thank you very much for your positiv review, long story from your side but we are happy to know the result from your story that you like our hotel, staff and clenness, and you will sometime think to come back.

Best Regards
Hotel monopole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I booked a room with private bathroom ensuite.
What i get was a 9 squaremeter room with no bathroom. The toilet and the bathroom was on the corridor and where used by other people because it was not possible to lock the room.
The room had a very small window with a view on a small concrete inside yard.
It was impossible to walk around in the room because the whole space was used for the bed.
The breakfast is very poor and not served before 8 AM.
During the night it's noisy because you hear the music from a nearby nightclub or Disco.
To pay 100 Euro per Night for this room is a joke. I never will stay again in this hotel.

Room Tip: Auf keinen Fall Zimmer 5. Sehr klein. Bad und Toilette auf dem Flur.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Klaus K
george-alliance, Manager at Hotel Monopole, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear guest,
we have seen your review and we did not expect this review from your side because i can remember that when you was here with us in Hotel, you were very normal and happy and i had few times converstaion with you and i thought everything was fine. There was no complaint from your side but afterwerds we saw your review which we could not understand if you had any problem then why u did not told us when you were here .
Anyway we still try to follow your review and make us better.

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I came to Amsterdam with my friend for the weekend. We have been before and liked the Rembrandt Square area. This hotel is the perfect location for that! close to city but quiter and more chilled. Lovely reataurants but with a good nightlife too. Clean room, drab decor but the private bathroom was what I paid for as there are a lot of shared bathroom places in Amsterdam! We had to pay a €50 Key deposit that wasn't mentioned in the booking but card details were okay rather than cash.

Overall a cheap and cheerful hotel and I would stay again on another visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

george-alliance, Manager at Hotel Monopole, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Emily,
Thank you very much that u liked our hotel and service and good and true review.
Having good review give enrgy to provide better service and comfertable stay.
Thank you again.
Best regards
Barnstaple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

If you want somewhere cheap and central to shower and sleep then this is ideal but would say it is probably better suited to groups rather than couples as can be a little noisy. Generally the place is clean; bedding, toilet, carpet, sink etc but could do with a little extra eg. some marks on doors that could easily be cleaned away. We stayed in a room down the road from the reception and no phone in room so felt it could be difficult if we needed to contact them. Room also didn't have the canal view like our booking said (this could be an error with the website?). The staff were very helpful, our bed was made daily, they advised us of good places to visit and changed the towels daily. They moved us to a bigger room when it became available (we didn't ask for this they just offered) and they moved bags for us. If you are a group looking for a central base then this is ideal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rubysw
george-alliance, Manager at Hotel Monopole, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear sir/madam,
Thank you very much for your good words about us, it give us good feeling to work harder for our guests. The rooms with the view are avialable if there is request. We suggest you to request for front view rooms while you make booking.
Thank you very much again.
hotel monopole
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

If you are searching for a place to shower and sleep this is what it can near enough offer a customer ! On a Thursday night , you could hear the club so loud that you felt like you were there partying aswell ! The staff did not make the stay pleasant and would never crack a smile even though you were paying them , they would knock on our door in the morning to ' clean ' but it was check up in the room as Amsterdam visitors have the image of being all drug-dealers ! I stayed one night and with my friends who were there longer and I would not return !

Room Tip: Dont even bother to stay
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank amallas
Thessaloniki, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

bad bad experience! the place is dirty! when I arrived i heard a vaccuum but I don't think that they used it. I had a big bag and nobody came to help me at the stip stairs. the room was dirty and the bathroom smelly.thank god the towels were clean. next to me there was a couple fighting and i did not felt very comfortable staying there alone. i would never go there again and i do not recommend women to go there.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank katetoul
george-alliance, Manager at Hotel Monopole, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Rooms are clean only you felt unconfertable bcoz the couple
Next door was fighting. In that matter we can not do anything.
But if uou have told us during your stay as we afvice everybody then
We coild do someyhing to makr uour stay comfertable. Writing afterwords does
Not help. Thank you
Prilly, Vaud, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Same bad experience as "skymaster_172". Although, it is a great location, right in the center, this two bed-room apartment is no good value for money: poorly furnished, noisy (one of the room gives on the road by the canal and the other is right above a laundry...). And yes, the bathroom is smelly. We do not recommend this hotel and will never return !!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Daniel P
Dear guest we do not understand what is wrong about having room
On second floor and facing water canal? That is even better.
We always say if you do not ( achieve) get anything let us know during your stay and make your stay good, Writing the things afterwerds shows that during your stay there was no big issue( problem) otherwise you let us know then. Thank you